The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34
    Well just a small update - I just tried John Pearse 80/20 strings and it seems like I finally found acoustic strings I like. Maybe I'm crazy but there's a big difference between 80/20 and Phosphor Bronze!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan T
    I've tried nickel strings on acoustic guitars in the past and have not cared for them. I'm sure some players like them (Tony Rice is the only person I can think of), but I didn't care for the sound or feel.
    Tony Rice moved over to Monel roundwounds, made by Martin. Monel is not nickel - it is a compound patented in 1906 that is "primarily composed of nickel (up to 67%) and copper, with small amounts of iron, manganese, carbon and silicon" (wiki). I spent a couple of hours with a D-18 string with .13-.56 Monel strings (the Martin Tony Rice set), and it sounded pretty good - worth checking out.

I use them on use on acoustic archtops with floating pickups.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Tony Rice moved over to Monel roundwounds, made by Martin. Monel is not nickel - it is a compound patented in 1906 that is "primarily composed of nickel (up to 67%) and copper, with small amounts of iron, manganese, carbon and silicon" (wiki). I spent a couple of hours with a D-18 string with .13-.56 Monel strings (the Martin Tony Rice set), and it sounded pretty good - worth checking out.

I use them on use on acoustic archtops with floating pickups.

HT, I am interested in this. If one would use the Monel strings say on a ES175 with one humbucker, would that make her sound 'more acoustic'? (maybe silly question, but I hope you know what I mean)...

User Info Menu

My answer is …. maybe.
    I find them more "acoustic" compared to solid nickel roundwounds on my acoustic archtops. Maybe it's the @1/3 copper content in the wrap. I haven't bothered trying them on any laminated archtops, but why not?

The Retro "Tony Rice Bluegrass" set is .13-56, the other Retro sets are .12-.54 and .11-52. Just try a set. Hey, maybe they'll suck!

They have far less sizzle and zing compared to bronze, 80/20 or brass-wrapped strings. I specifically use the Martin strings with acoustic archtops that have magnetic pickups. I have tried the DR zebras - cool idea but they feel funny to me. They sound OK.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 11-22-2022 at 07:47 PM.

User Info Menu

A minority view, I am sure, but I have tried just about all of them, and come back to TI flats for all of my guitars, including my acoustic archtop. Heck, for my bass, too. I just don't look for a lot of overtones when I play jazz; just want to hear all the notes. Even tone from note to note. More comfortable and no finger noise.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nopedals
    A minority view, I am sure, but I have tried just about all of them, and come back to TI flats for all of my guitars, including my acoustic archtop. Heck, for my bass, too. I just don't look for a lot of overtones when I play jazz; just want to hear all the notes. Even tone from note to note. More comfortable and no finger noise.
    Hey, I like the TI Swing nickel-wrap flatwounds as well as their BeBop nickel-wrap roundwounds as well.
    Monel is an entirely different animal to me.

User Info Menu

No pickup ever used. My favorites are the Tony Rice Monels on my 64 Epiphone Texan

User Info Menu

I restrung my new Acoustic Guitar w/ John Pearse #2600 Jazz Light Gauge Nickel Wound Acoustic/Electric Guitar strings. The sound of these ones isn't a compromise cause it's a full bodied sound that falls in between a Flat top Guitar & a Gypsy Jazz Guitar:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    Any more opinions? I am ordering the strings tomorrow!!
    I am using D'Adarrio EPN 21 pure nickel strings on my Andersen acoustic archtop and like the strings very much.