The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 54

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TieDyedDevil
    I played a VHT Special 6 Combo a couple days ago. The VHT was actually louder and cleaner, but I think that in terms of headroom and volume it'd make a decent small jazz amp.
    Thanks for the heads up. A lot of people have high lighted VHT but finding a shop that have them is really hard. Where I live in Scotland I am closer to the Isle of Man in the Irish Sea than any town large enough to have a music shop. I should be in Manchester/Warrington area in April so I hope to track one down. My list is long and I'll have to research the stores for their stock lists.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This is my beloved Twin Champ 210.
    The sound is nice and warm and can be easily adapted to other tubes to your own taste.
    I've played it at moderate volume but only in the living room
    Despite its 5W it can be very loud and thanks to the two 10 " he is also very powerful and in no case to compare with the original.
    Amplifier:
    Fender Style 5F1 Tweed Champ, 5W,
    carefully constructed from a kit from Tube Amp Doctor.
    So the best ingredients. Incl. TAD tubes.
    2X Jensen P10R speakers.
    Cabinet:
    Siemens Spitzensuper 53
    YOC 1953
    70x49, 5x35, 5 cm
    Grill Cloth Tan Brown & Gold
    Backs upholstered in vintage tweed and painted several times with shellac.
    The original price of the radio at that time was DM 870, with an average
    Monthly income of 280-320 DM a crazy investment in the 50s.
    These radios are hard to find.

User Info Menu

I am loving my Mesa Express on the 5w setting. Clean with a bit of smoke in the voice.

User Info Menu

You might want to check out the new GVT series of Ampeg amps, they have a 5 watt combo with 6V6 tubes. Don't think it has a line out though.

User Info Menu

Just checking in to me thread.

I gots me a Ampeg GVT 15 with a half power mode of 7.5 watts, fx loop, spring reverb and multi speaker outs!

When I gets me head in gear I'll post up a review of it, but thanks for your input...

User Info Menu

Congrats, waiting for the review as i am thinking of getting one too.

User Info Menu

The Khan, are you in Europe? Thomann.de is shifting them out at a ridiculous price.

Check it out

User Info Menu

I am in Europe, but still not sure if the amp stays clean at higher volumes, so hurry up with the review

User Info Menu

If you can live with the minimalist design and get creative with pickup selection, volume and tone control tweaking I think the Fender Champion 600 is very cool. Here is my review of the amp.

Guitar Corners: Fender Champion 600: Amp Review

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TheKhann
    I am in Europe, but still not sure if the amp stays clean at higher volumes, so hurry up with the review
    Hey Khan, this amp is hard to distort, it just gets to crunchy rock tone with everything at 11!
    If you want distortion you'll need a booster pedal.

I'm finding the 7.5 watt setting with volume maxed and gain at 12 o'clock with the mid at 9 o'clock with bass and treble adjusted to taste to be really nice, clean and loud enough for practice.

Thomann.de are chucking these out at 33% less than MSRP. And they have a returns policy. Nice

User Info Menu

great playing, but this tells me almost nothing, aside from maybe i should be really concerned about headroom. i wonder about the five watter. thats plenty for home use and little jams, but does it sound good? i'm wary of the small boxes after my ac4 experience.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TheKhann
    I was at Thomann a few days ago and tried all of the Ampegs. They stay clean!!!! It is very hard to distort them.
    I tried them with a Peerless Leelah Guitar. Very, very, suitable for Jazz!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by redwater
    I was at Thomann a few days ago and tried all of the Ampegs. They stay clean!!!! It is very hard to distort them.
    I tried them with a Peerless Leelah Guitar. Very, very, suitable for Jazz!
    Each day I play the 15 watter the sound gets better.

This evening I was looping some faux bass lines with an octaver and then mucking around over the top with a clean bridge pickup and y'know what, the reverb was picking up the twangy guitar but missing the looped octaver, spooky but very nice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feet
    i wonder about the five watter. thats plenty for home use and little jams, but does it sound good? i'm wary of the small boxes after my ac4 experience.
    The 15 watt version knocks down to 7.5 watts, plenty for practice plus a 12" speaker, reverb etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by barrymclark
    I am loving my Mesa Express on the 5w setting. Clean with a bit of smoke in the voice.
    I have the 5:25 Mesa Express Plus version, and I as well think it's great for jazz! Here's 5 watts of jazz for ya, courtesy of Mesa:

Last edited by helios; 08-13-2013 at 04:44 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by helios
    I have the 5:25 Mesa Express Plus version, and I as well think it's great for jazz! Here's 5 watts of jazz for ya, courtesy of Mesa:

I have the non-Plus 5:50. Very much digging it. I tend to up the Gain and Master knobs together as it seems to keep the hiss down. Even so, the hiss isn't horrible. It is well enough below the guitar sound.

User Info Menu

Ibanez TSA 5 combo or the bigger 15 head or combo. Clean next to Fender's and Tube Screamer included. Try one...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarmikey
    Ibanez TSA 5 combo or the bigger 15 head or combo. Clean next to Fender's and Tube Screamer included. Try one...
    very true

I can confirm that the ibanez tsa 15h has a great clean sound all the way up and it is fendery sounding. even with the stock chinse tube's the amp was sounding good. this amp even has a 5w power switch.

User Info Menu

Old thread, but I'll start a new one when I receive this cute little thing that I've just ordered (£260 with footswitch)....

There are quite a few threads on small amps but I didn't find any mention of this.

Hell, if I don't like it I'll just put it in the living room and look at it , although with a Fendery clean channel, Accutronics spring reverb and built in TS I think I'll like it....

Amplifiers Tube Screamer Amplifier - TSA5TVR | Ibanez guitars

Some very enthusiastic reviews:

Ibanez TSA5TVR Tubescreamer Amplifier | Tone Report

Ibanez Tube Screamer TSA5TVR Amp Review | Derek Underwood

and some cool sounds

User Info Menu

I know that the power rating is above your threshhold...and this isn't a personal review, as I haven't tried it and I have no affilitation with manufacturer or distributor; but I saw in this month's Jazzwise magazine a very positive review of the GTA-15 amp from Yerasov:

Products - www.yerasov.co.uk (sole uk supplier) 0753 4429269

and there's this:

Yerasov GTA15J | Guitar reviews | MusicRadar

The YouTube video makes it sound a bit rawkanroll, but it might be interesting to see how it sounds for jazz

Oh, those Russians!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarmikey
    I tried the TSA combo and didn't care for it. I thought it sounded very small and boxy. On the other hand, I suspect the TSA 15 head or combo would work really well.

User Info Menu

Hey there old thread, nice to see ya!

FYI I've been living with the Ampeg GVT 15C now for the last 10 months and it's been a fantastic piece of kit. I prefer the 7.5 watt setting as the tone sounds more malleable, the full 15 watts is loud though.

Some owners have had issues with the FX loop buzzing but I guess I've been lucky on that front.

The reverb is overpowering pass 9 o'clock but has nice trails at 12 o'clock for swampy surf type sounds. Whack up the Middle and Gain and you get a nice crunchy blues rock sound.

For overdrive sounds I had to buy a pedal as the amp struggles for that but clean sound it does in spades.

Jazz flatwound sounds plus more bass tone makes it fart with the standard speaker, in all honesty the Cube 60 I own has a better jazz tone without distortion or farty speaker syndrome.
    But it has that nice clean valve tone. My Tele with both pickups on nails that Steve Cropper sound.

I like the 'retro' looks and it just does the all round practice valve amp very well, just make sure you get some pedals through it.

Overall I like the amp very much and is a keeper.

User Info Menu

I posted this in another thread, but I thought I would copy and paste this here.

Look at a Goodsell Super 17. It is a single channel all tube amp with Reverb & Trem. You can select between 17 or 5 watts, and it weighs a whopping 29 lbs. There is a master volume as well, so if one did want a little break-up it is possible, but this is not a high-gain amp. It has beautiful cleans and a nice crunch if cranked. I have one and it is an amazing amp.

I know a lot of people love Princeton Reverbs, but this amp in my opinion, and a lot of others for that matter, believe this amp to be superior. Richard Goodsell is a delight to work with as well. I can't find any videos of someone really playing Jazz through one, but here is what I did find. Go to 40 seconds in the first video.

User Info Menu

Coincidentally, this came in only yesterday, so to me this is almost like a NAD thread without having to open one myself:

5 watt valve combo preferences and choices-20140627_003-jpg
    5 watt valve combo preferences and choices-20140627_004-jpg

Obviously, this is the Rat modified version.

– First impressions: The two three-way selectors on the front switch between three bias settings and three input gain settings, for a total of nine combinations. I would say that the “clean and mellow” bias setting (center position of left switch) and the “low-gain” setting (top position of right switch) are useful additions for jazz (both are not included in the plain-vanilla V5).

– That said, the amp doesn't overdrive all that easily. In fact, with a single-coil Tele I had trouble getting into overdrive territory at neighbor-friendly volumes at all.

– The attenuator switch (also modified, after I had been reading some conflicting wattage ratings, Andy told me that the settings are 5 to 1 to 0.5 watts) works really well. Bedroom-friendly tones that still manage to get you sucked into.

– Speaking of which, it was mainly the overdriven tones that kept me riveted yesterday (the single-ended tube-dwarf experience is quite new to me), but you can certainly get very useful jazz sounds. Disregarding tone settings, I’d say that the amp is a bit on the darkish side.

– This amp is QUIET. Period.

– Reverb is surprisingly useful (in addition to being a rare feature on an amp like this). Maxing it out takes you into a mushless, large and empty garage. Sounds better than the little spring tank in my Koch Studiotone (generally thought to be the weakest part about the Studiotone). The reverb is mixed from a parallel circuit into the guitar tone, so the latter doesn't undergo analog-digital-analog conversion steps.

– Phones output has been modified. Tried it, sounds OK to me.

– There is an added (line-level) line-out jack. Haven’t tried it.

– There is an added rectifier tube with a three-way switch on the back of the amp whereby this tube can either be bypassed or activated to two different sag intensities. I’m not sure at this point whether this feature will be useful to me.

– Andy added a dummy load that gets activated on pulling the speaker jack.

Nice! For a full description, look here: Bugera V5 Combo