The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

To somewhat answer the OP's question (not suggesting that anyone else didn't, but just that I didn't read anything else), the mini HB by KA does sound thinner than a full size HB, including a floating PAF. With the mini I find that I have to have the volume knob all the way open to be happy with the sound...when it's all the way open it's hard to tell the difference.

BUT note that I'm only talking about mounted (built-in) pickups, not floaters. Still I am comparing KA HB to KA mini so that should help you somewhat.

However, end of the day....your pickup has to fit! So that will drive your decision, won't it?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    awright, now this thread is rollin' in it....HJS' all around!...gotta luv it!!!!!
    Well I'm late jumping in here, but I might as well add mine.

Kent Armstrong Floating PAF Humbucker vs. Mini-hum-zbackcasef2-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Kent Armstrong Floating PAF Humbucker vs. Mini-hum-1fronfull-jpg Kent Armstrong Floating PAF Humbucker vs. Mini-hum-8fronhead-jpg 
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 02-27-2014 at 01:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Well I'm late jumping in here, but I might as well add mine.

Kent Armstrong Floating PAF Humbucker vs. Mini-hum-zbackcasef2-jpg
    What's this?! I didn't know you had it in ya man. That shade appears as a Heritage...autumn sunburst for those unfamiliar with Heritage shades. When did you get the HJS? Nice score there WS. I dig that shade on HJS' more so than the Rose Naturals typical of the HJS...it's fairly rare. Recently, an 18" HJS, no that wasn't a typo, appeared for sale at the HOC. It was more like a Super Eagle in JS trimmings. If that 18" had your finish I'd have been all over it...but it was a Rose that's faded to blonde as every HJS rose I've seen has done...bummer.

User Info Menu

Somebody say THAT headstock is ugly. C'mon, I dare ya.

Damn, that's a lovely guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    What's this?! I didn't know you had it in ya man. That shade appears as a Heritage...autumn sunburst for those unfamiliar with Heritage shades. When did you get the HJS? Nice score there WS. I dig that shade on HJS' more so than the Rose Naturals typical of the HJS...it's fairly rare. Recently, an 18" HJS, no that wasn't a typo, appeared for sale at the HOC. It was more like a Super Eagle in JS trimmings. If that 18" had your finish I'd have been all over it...but it was a Rose that's faded to blonde as every HJS rose I've seen has done...bummer.
    Actually I sold it recently. It was (is) a FABULOUS guitar. Probably the nicest archtop I have ever owned. Superb neck profile. Superb tone. Superb action. But my right arm just cannot deal with 17" archtops anymore. It killed me to let this go. (Re the finish, I've always been partial to bursts over nat's.)

It actually went through two buyers - the first guy returned it to me because he felt it wasn't "mint" enough. Fool.

WS