The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

I just thought I would throw this in for giggles and grins. This is the Susan Arioli band with Jordan Officer on the guitar. Notice he's playing a Harmony guitar. We usually think of this instrument as a "cheap, inferior budget" instrument yet I think given the outside recording, it sounds pretty good to me. This is for all of us (myself included) who think that to get a good sound, we need to have a particular brand of instrument. Like a lot of us have already said, it's what you play, not what you play it on. I'm convinced.

Here's the link. On other links, Jordan is playing what looks like an L7C with a DeArmond FHC pick up.

Check out some of their other videos on YouTube. He plays a number of guitars including an ES 150 with a CC pickup.
    Last edited by hot ford coupe; 01-23-2013 at 08:35 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My first guitar was a Harmony that cost 25 bucks. (This would have been in the '60s.) It wasn't a great guitar but it was a better guitar than I was a guitar player!

User Info Menu

I still love my big ol Kay archtop...club like neck and tiny frets, but it looks and sounds great.

User Info Menu

My first 2 guitars and my first amp were all Harmonys.

User Info Menu

I have never played a Harmony guitar, but I remember it was the guitars Keith Richards and Brian Jones played in the first year or so of The Rolling Stones fame (and thus on their first records) so while not great guitars, they must have had some kind of adequacy to them which got the job done.

User Info Menu

OMG He is sooooo young there!

User Info Menu

My Harmony Brilliant Cutaway, top of the line in 1966:

Sounds great, plays like a dream!

User Info Menu

I have a Harmony copy of a 335 that I picked up. It plays very much like a 335.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    My Harmony Brilliant Cutaway, top of the line in 1966:

Sounds great, plays like a dream!
    Yep. That's the one alright. I remember helping a friend of mine take a 1940s Sears Silvertone archtop he found in his uncle's closet and make it very playable. I cleaned it up, fiddled with the truss rod, nut and bridge and got it to play fairly well. It turned out to be a pretty good piece. It wasn't as perfect looking as that Harmony but I wouldn't be ashamed to play it in public.

User Info Menu

Spencer Davis or Stevie Winwood used to play one in the 60s. That's a Harmony you can hear on "Keep in Running". We gigged with them when this was number one -so I remember seeing it becuase t was an unusual choice. OK guitar for blues
    Last edited by ChrisDowning; 01-24-2013 at 05:14 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe
    I just thought I would throw this in for giggles and grins. This is the Susan Arioli band with Jordan Officer on the guitar. Notice he's playing a Harmony guitar. We usually think of this instrument as a "cheap, inferior budget" instrument yet I think given the outside recording, it sounds pretty good to me. This is for all of us (myself included) who think that to get a good sound, we need to have a particular brand of instrument. Like a lot of us have already said, it's what you play, not what you play it on. I'm convinced.

Here's the link. On other links, Jordan is playing what looks like an L7C with a DeArmond FHC pick up.

Check out some of their other videos on YouTube. He plays a number of guitars including an ES 150 with a CC pickup.
    Ha he plays all downstrokes with a pick (in that clip at least)
    I'm not the only one then !

User Info Menu

It may be a Ford of the guitars, but I bet it is beautifully set up. There is a lot to bebsaid for having a luthier doing your regular maintenance.

User Info Menu

Sure it is what you play and not what you play it on (but HFC just like you, I am keeping my DA)

Another example: here's Jimmy Rosenberg on a 299 chinese archtop playing 100x better than I ever can

User Info Menu

Yes I agree and that playing is a lesson on playing v instrument. Those Hofner JCT 17s have always seemed like a good budget option and no need to be paranoid playing at gigs. Anyone tried/owned one?

User Info Menu

Harmony made some fine archtops! I think he is playing a H65, with a P13 pickup, actually the predecessor of the P90.
    Harmony guitars are more popular in the jump-blues scene, but models like the H62 are outstanding for jazz!

They are even being reissued: HarmonyGuitarsUSA.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Ha he plays all downstrokes with a pick (in that clip at least)
    I'm not the only one then !
    Gypsy jazz technique

User Info Menu

Not jazz, but David Rawlings often uses a small body Harmony.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D.G.
    Not jazz, but David Rawlings often uses a small body Harmony.

I think it's actually his 1935 Epiphone Olympic.
    Brad

User Info Menu

Here are some Harmony hollow-body instruments I have obtained over the years. My Brilliant isn't as nice as Doctor Jeff's, but she's brilliant just the same.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brad4d8
    I think it's actually his 1935 Epiphone Olympic.
    Brad
    Possibly so. The times I've seem him he's always been using a Harmony. Actually, I remember asking him many years ago about his guitar at a little in-store show and he told me about the Epi but said that he hadn't used it for a while since he'd gotten the Harmony. Wow, that was a long time ago!

User Info Menu

Yes, Mr. Officer's Harmony has the P-13 pickup. Very cool guitar ... I've wanted one with those p/us for years. He is a remarkable player. Thanks so much for posting that clip!

MD

User Info Menu

Boy, do those things bring back some long forgotten memories of my early guitar days. I helped a friend of mine resurrect a 40s Sears Silvertone acoustic archtop. It wasn't a bad player at all.