The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I'd like to know which guitars is Andreas Oberg playing in these videos.
    I think he plays a Benedetto in the first video, but which model?
    And how about the second one?

Andreas Oberg - Billie's Bounce - YouTube

Andreas Oberg plays "Work Song" by Nat Adderley - YouTube

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I think,
    First video: Benedetto Manhattan.
    Second video: Benedetto Bravo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by carlescountry
    I think,
    First video: Benedetto Manhattan.
    Second video: Benedetto Bravo.
    Thanks, is there anyone else who can confirm this?

User Info Menu

Looks and sounds much more like a Bravo Elite (carved spruce top) in the second vid. The Bravo (non elite ones) has a laminated maple top with a spruce veneer - and definitely sounds different (and great).

Great second vid though which shows that the very fat B-6 PU can also deliver a huge amount of character.

Chris

User Info Menu

Manhattan in first vid, confirmed.

Some kind of Bravo in second vid (standard, deluxe, elite? i can't tell?)

User Info Menu

Um, it may just be a Bravo Elite in the second vid.

User Info Menu

looks like it, yes.

User Info Menu

Hee-hee.

What do you think of the sound (such as you can tell from a 'tube) considering just how fat/dark a B-6 sounds compared to your basic PAF, head-to-head?

User Info Menu

well i don't know. it has a very "acoustic sound" in this sample. sounds like a solid state amp too, but i'm probably the least qualified to opine about this. doesn't sound very "dark" to me.

i WILL however opine about something else.

it's time for Andreas to get a new shirt designer. oh, and losing the gold chain wouldn't be a bad move either. i'm guessing some obnoxious cologne may be a player here too. just sayin.

User Info Menu

First video is an early Savannah, GA Manhattan. It was on display at the Benedetto booth at winter NAMM and Andreas borrowed it for this gig. I was the guy who strung it up with his choice of Thomastiks (13 rounds, IIRC). One of the nut slots was tight for that set, so the Plek guys jumped in with a file to help out. Andreas is such a pro, he hardly played the guitar beforehand at all and went onstage that night as if it had always been his guitar.

User Info Menu

My first thought on the vids was that if you combined all the ABBA members, they would look like this (with an added weird-ass neckline sweater thing). You do have to admire the playing in my opinion.

User Info Menu

So the first guitar should have a floating pickup, while the second has a set-in pickup, it seems from videos.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PTChristopher
    Looks and sounds much more like a Bravo Elite (carved spruce top) in the second vid. The Bravo (non elite ones) has a laminated maple top with a spruce veneer - and definitely sounds different (and great).

Great second vid though which shows that the very fat B-6 PU can also deliver a huge amount of character.

Chris
    Bravo: Laminated or Carved top?

Thanks for all the replies. I need this information as I am in the middle of a discussion with a friend of mine (who plays flute and cannot understand why guitarists usually own and play so many guitars).
    So we came to discuss different sounds and different types of guitars
    and I showed him these videos and more as examples.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mikeSF
    First video is an early Savannah, GA Manhattan. It was on display at the Benedetto booth at winter NAMM and Andreas borrowed it for this gig. I was the guy who strung it up with his choice of Thomastiks (13 rounds, IIRC). One of the nut slots was tight for that set, so the Plek guys jumped in with a file to help out. Andreas is such a pro, he hardly played the guitar beforehand at all and went onstage that night as if it had always been his guitar.
    I always read that it uses La Bella's PM flats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mikeSF
    the Plek guys jumped in with a file to help out.
    there's funny kind of irony in that!

User Info Menu

You do realize this thread is 3 years old?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldane
    You do realize this thread is 3 years old?
    The funny thing is that, when you receive a notification for such a thread, you click the link which takes you straight to the last post. Then you start reading posts backwards and you see that, ....uh...you actively partecipated in the thread
    and finally you discover that it was actually started by you! (Which is me...)