The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 217

User Info Menu

It's got to be the Gretsch image that kept it out of the hands of jazz players. Gibson and Epiphone had strong jazz followings prior to amplification. Guild was a spin off of Epiphone. The electric jazz archtop was a natural progression for them.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A few months back I played one of the new Japanese-made Country Gent guitars. Thought it was one of the best-made guitars I'd ever played. Nice fat and mellow jazz tone on tap. If I had had two and a half grand in my pocket, I would have walked home with it. Great fat neck too.

User Info Menu

oh so you guys want subtle??

Jazz on a Gretsch Guitar?-2704034522_gtr_frt_001_rr-png

haha

seriously though, post 67 baldwin era gretsch to fmic 2002 era was sort of gretsch no mans land..to base your opinion of gretsch on a 70's model doesn't work...try a spruce top country club or a vintage streamliner...or

fairly recent jimmy vaughan was a looker

Jazz on a Gretsch Guitar?-9000-desktop-jpg

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    oh so you guys want subtle??

Jazz on a Gretsch Guitar?-2704034522_gtr_frt_001_rr-png

haha

seriously though, post 67 baldwin era gretsch to fmic 2002 era was sort of gretsch no mans land..to base your opinion of gretsch on a 70's model doesn't work...try a spruce top country club or a vintage streamliner...or

fairly recent jimmy vaughan was a looker

Jazz on a Gretsch Guitar?-9000-desktop-jpg

cheers
    now you talking! Those G400 and its variations are really good. I was considering one myself, but was told their are not very loud acoustically, at least not to compare to Gypsy guitars, but they are still awesome!

User Info Menu

Rob if you're talking about these, then Im right with you. I've had two nd would never pass a chance up to buy another and another and another etc..

Just perfect guitars. The neck is the best, the balance and playability are outstanding and the tone is awesome. I love that you get a little extra room between the strings and the slab of ebony they use is the nicest look I'v seen.

Hands down my Fav guitar.

Jazz on a Gretsch Guitar?-chet-atkins-11-jpg

User Info Menu

Well, it wasn't that one, but that looks gorgeous too! The one I tried was the more deep burgundy colour, without an armrest.

User Info Menu

Yes G400s are the gas. I have one. I installed a Shadow Nanomag pickup on it, but I'm thinking of changing it up as it sounds a bit brittle. Anyone here got any good pickup suggestions? A Kent Armstrong floater or DeArmond RC reissue are on my short list.

User Info Menu

When Epiphone came out with the Elitist Country Deluxe I jumped. I loved that guitar in every way but one...major neck dive! The action was great through the 12th fret, and then got progressively higher from 12 to the end of the board. I wanted to send it back to Epi to have that corrected, but the shop from which I bought it refused to send it back as they did not feel it was a problem. I returned it and got my money back. I would have loved to have been able to keep that one, but I just could not get past the neck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feet
    if i had to guess:

-non (jazz) traditional aesthetics
    -anti bigsby sentiment
    -brighter pickups than usual
    -little to no (jazz) hero worship
    -general boring-old-man-ness

of course, they are quite versatile, and, especially given the current aftermarket parts, can certainly be jazzed out if you like. warmer tv jones pups, wood or different alloy bridge material, cap/pot swap... even stock, judicious use of the tone switches and knobs can get you to a gretsch flavored variation of traditional sounds.
    I think your list of reasons pretty much sums it up. That's how I see it too.

Filtertrons with the tone rolled off a bit can sound just as warm and jazzy as most other humbuckers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Pizzarelli and Van Eps likely used a Gretsch because it was the only production 7 string electric available @ the time
    Bucky dumped his when Benedetto made him a 7 string, Van Eps was probably too old to switch @ the end.
    George was playing his 7 string Epiphone up until he started with Gretsch. Gretsch didn't have a 7 string in their catalog; George got them to build one for him. I don't know if he approached Gretsch or Gretsch approached him but Gretsch did not have a 7 string until George hooked up with them.

User Info Menu

I'm with you Rob, if I could get a country gent without the bigsby and a single humbucker... One sweet jazz box.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zigracer
    Although I understand your point, a Gretsch with a B6 Bigsby has no screws into the top. None of my Bigsby equipped Gretsch guitars have roller bridges. Also, a properly cut nut will keep your guitar in tune when you use the Bigsby. That said, I have three Gretsch guitars with Bigsbys and one beautiful solid spruce top Country Club with a standard tailpiece. I love the Club, but sometimes miss the Bigsby when I play Sleepwalk or get that trem effect when singing a song like Chris Isaak's Wicked Game. I know that those selections, especially Wicked Game are not jazz, but I like to fit them into a set, because I like the tunes. Just saying that the Bigsby gives me that flexibility. I will mostly leave the Club the way it is, because I like it. Sorry. Don't know how the pic got rotated.
    You said didn't understand I gave my reasons. Even a B6 ( of which I had two) undeniably adds weight, presses FIRMLY down on the top and is for me and probably like mos
    people main reasons we will not own a weighty useless item. Gretch has WAY too few models without a trem, I for one think that is a VERY stupid marketing ploy. My anni, Tim Armstrng, and 3161 came with tp's as did (from the po) the 5120. Gretsch are or can easily be GREAT guitars but dicking with removing them is extremely unpalatable to many, and add to that the fussiness some have over initial appearance the trem will ALWAYS keep many from even considering a git with one installed.

User Info Menu

gretsch has owned bigsby since 1999...

cheers

User Info Menu

Bigsby and those funky metal bridges with the shit sticking up on them. Stupid.

I hate Gretsches. They're gorgeous, sound awesome, and are so uncomfortable for me to play I can never own one. Bastards.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Well, it wasn't that one, but that looks gorgeous too! The one I tried was the more deep burgundy colour, without an armrest.

Is this the Country Gent you played?

Only a few were made in 1959 and only for Chet Atkins' approval (Chet kept the best one). 25.5" scale instead of 24.6" and 1 3/4 nut, and a tone knob instead of the tone switch (mud switch). Pickups were prototypes made by Ray Butts, TV Jones has replicated these.

After Chet died his guitar was measured and this model was finally put into production as the G6122-1959. For finger style this guitar is hard to beat. Gretsch announced a lacquer version at 2016 Winter NAMM, the G6122T-1959GE .

Jazz on a Gretsch Guitar?-g6122-1959_2-jpg
    Last edited by MaxTwang; 03-26-2016 at 01:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Gretsch was a major player in the 50's and 60's with country, rock, rockabilly and jazz players: Chet Atkins, George Van Eps, George Harrison, Lenny Breau, Duane Eddy, Eddie Cochrane, Mike Nesmith and others being Gretsch players. Gibson had Les Paul and a bunch of guys playing jazz (and we know those jazz guys were smoking dope and shooting heroine).

Baldwin bought Gretsch in 1967 and moved production out of New York (and left the guitar builders behind). Baldwin's poor quality control and the binding issues severely damaged Gretsch's image; binding rot is a problem on pre-Baldwin Gretsch's as well, and is attributed to the binding reacting to the solvent glue used to adhere the binding.

Another factor was cultural shift: In the 60's we were becoming a more 'cosmopolitan' culture and turning our back on all things rural, country and cowboy. As part of TV's "Rural Purge" of the late 60's and early 70's Green Acres, The Beverly Hillbillies, Lassie, Petticoat Junction, and others were cancelled while most of these shows had high ratings. At the same time Chet Atkins, one of Nashville's top producers, 'saved' country music with the "Nashville Sound" or "Countrypolitan" - he eliminated honky tonk and twang and introduced strings and smooth backing vocals. When asked what the "Nashville Sound" was, Chet would shake the change in his pocket and say "It's the sound of money".

The "cowboy guitar" was no longer in style and rock music changed in the late 60's, Gretsch was out and Gibson, with the Les Paul back in production, was in.

As far as the Gretsch sound, Filtertrons may be considered 'twangy' but IMHO they are the humbucker that is closest to the sound of classic single coil (DeArmonds & Dynasonics are still well regarded). A big problem with Gretsch is the "tone switch" instead of a tone pot; the "tone switch" has 3 preset tones and the "jazz" tone has a lot of highs rolled off, hence the term "mud switch". Find a Gretsch with Filtertrons, standard tailpiece and a tone pot and you're opinion of Gretsch might change.

On a final note, if you find a Gretsch with a Melita bridge - those fit nicely in the case pocket, Tru-Arc makes outstanding replacement bar bridges out of a number of metals depending on the tone you're looking for..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    Rob if you're talking about these, then Im right with you. I've had two nd would never pass a chance up to buy another and another and another etc..

Just perfect guitars. The neck is the best, the balance and playability are outstanding and the tone is awesome. I love that you get a little extra room between the strings and the slab of ebony they use is the nicest look I'v seen.

Hands down my Fav guitar.

Jazz on a Gretsch Guitar?-chet-atkins-11-jpg

Gibson's Chet Atkins Country Gentleman. I like the upgraded 'wire' Bigsby handle in the pic. Great guitar, especially the later models with the lighter balsa center block. The neck is really unique and wide, made for finger style.

Add a set of TV Jones pickups and you have a really special guitar; supposedly Chet tried to get Gibson to make Ray Butts designed pickups for the Country Gent. I always wondered if Chet's personal Gibsons had custom pickups as he still sounded like he had Filtertrons and not 57 Classics or 490R/498T which came on Gibson Country Gents.

User Info Menu

I play jazz on this:

Jazz on a Gretsch Guitar?-image-jpg

User Info Menu

There's a 3155 at the LGS that I think is quite fetching. Cat eye f holes, gold hardware.... Oh snap I'm talking myself into it, aren't I .... Must resist.... Must resist....

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Cal Collins and his Gretsch:

User Info Menu

Nice Cal Collins clip. I had a couple of those double-cutaway, CA-6120 Nashvilles. One had a Melita bridge. Neither one, though, had a Supertron in the neck position like Collins' guitar. I still miss those guitars--especially the one with the Melita.

User Info Menu

Great Cal Collins clip! Didn't realize he was another one of the 3 finger players. Awesome player and great sound on that gretsch.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atracksler
    There's a 3155 at the LGS that I think is quite fetching. Cat eye f holes, gold hardware.... Oh snap I'm talking myself into it, aren't I .... Must resist.... Must resist....
    I have a g3161, it's a GREAT guitar. No trem and from what I read this series were the "re-entry " models into the market and made by peerless. Prices on these are VERY low and a GR8 deal