The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

I know that this question will probably have been asked umpteen times in here over the years, but as products change so often nowadays maybe there is better stuff out there now.
    I have a Telecaster with a Seymour Duncan jazz humbucker on the neck position and am wondering if I should maybe try out some flatwound strings to maybe give a jassier sound to my guitar. I currently use Gibson 10 gauge brite wires and I'm not over the moon with them. I dont like too heavy a gauge like 12s or 13s like some players do, I'd stretch to 11s and thats it.
    Do any of you guys use flatwounds on a solid bodied guitar like the Tele? and if so, which make of string do you use?
    Hugh.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I play flat 12s in my tele and I love them. I kinda prefer the electric sound of tele with flats when it come to the jazz sound for me. Try 11s, why not, you should figure out for yourself.

User Info Menu

I love Thomastik-Infeld flatwounds on my solid body PRS - Jazz Swing 10-44.

User Info Menu

Thomastick or D'addario flats do magic on solid bodies
    I also go for 11s on solid bodies and 12s on archtop

User Info Menu

I take the opposite point of view. Flatwounds on a tele are a great way to make it sound dull and boring .... We're all different ...

I can recommend TI bebop strings for a jazzy sound while not getting as dull as flatwounds (which I do love on hollowbodies)

User Info Menu

Yep.. it is a funny thing. I never put flats on a solidbody.. and never use rounds on an archtop (although the newtone archtop strings are fantastic).

There are forum members here who never put rounds on a solidbody and never put flats on an archtop. When you play the 20K$ archtops at the montreal guitar show 80% (ok, I made that stat up) of them have rounds.

Personally (because I know you are alllll dying to know) I think if you are spending 800$ or more on a guitar you can spend and extra 30$ and buy a set few different sets of strings to see what you like best.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SamBooka
    Personally (because I know you are alllll dying to know) I think if you are spending 800$ or more on a guitar you can spend and extra 30$ and buy a set few different sets of strings to see what you like best.
    Yup, you'll never know until you try.

User Info Menu

Yep.. it is a funny thing. I never put flats on a solidbody.. and never use rounds on an archtop
    I'm the same way!

However, I have tried D'Addario Halfwounds on a soild body (didn't like) and currently have these on a semi hollowbody (do like).

User Info Menu

I use flat Thomastiks Flats on all my Tele, Rickenbacker semi hollow, Jazzmaster, Comins Semihollow, Ibanez Af125 Hollow and Yamaha SA-50 Hollow.
    I love Flats and think they sound and feel great on any guitar.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the input to my request for info. Quite a difference of opinion on the matter. I guess thats guitarists for you, we all have our own tastes on strings, playability, tone etc
    I'll order up a set of either 10s or 11s and see how they do.
    Hugh.

User Info Menu

Tried flats on a tele style guitar and didn't like it, after some research I ended up using D'addario pure nickel 12s great strings very warm sounding IMO if you don't want wound 3rd go for 11s.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papaj77
    Tried flats on a tele style guitar and didn't like it, after some research I ended up using D'addario pure nickel 12s great strings very warm sounding IMO if you don't want wound 3rd go for 11s.
    +1 on the chrome nickels

User Info Menu

Personally I think if you are spending 800$ or more on a guitar you can spend and extra 30$ and buy a set few different sets of strings to see what you like best.
    Good point! I used to be stingy when it came to strings but over the years I've came to see the benefit of liberal application of different strings to get the most of that $800+ guitar.

User Info Menu

I like the Elixir Nanoweb 10-52.

User Info Menu

Try pure nickel 11's and a Duncan '59, Seth Lover, or Lollars.

User Info Menu

I've ordered up a set of Thomastick flats, 10 - 44s.
    I did try flats years ago on a seven string I had, I put D'Addarios on it and loved their feel and sound.
    I just wondered if it would work out the same with a Tele, the seven string was designed as a jazz guitar so it was fine with them.
    Once again, thanks guys
    Hugh.

User Info Menu

Let us know what you think, Hugh.
    I've been thinking about putting flats on one of my Teles, too.

/ Tony

User Info Menu

They arrived this morning, ahh the great British postal system(not like the Wells Fargo stagecoach service you get in Canada) . Only ordered them yesterday morning.
    I put them on and they are brilliant. They make the Tele sound really jazzy, and they play great too, but not for bending too much, fairly high action and clean sound is what is best for my guitar it would seem.
    I dont find them dull sounding in any way as stated in some of the previous postings, maybe they just suit this guitar, and they sound really clear and precise. I think they are way much better than the D'Addario's I had years ago.
    I'm really pleased with the result so far I'll just need to keep this guitar in this setting for jazz.
    Hmm. Need another Tele now for rock and blues
    Wife'll just love it
    Last edited by Hugh; 11-29-2012 at 12:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Let us know how it goes. If you are looking for a replacement pickup (the SD jazz isnt a very popular pickups for jazz) I might suggest the 57 Classics.

User Info Menu

Let us know how it goes. If you are looking for a replacement pickup (the SD jazz isnt a very popular pickups for jazz) I might suggest the 57 Classics.
    Or similar pups like the SD Seth Lover.

I agree that the SD "Jazz" is too hot and bright to be called that.

User Info Menu

I don't what they were thinking when SD named that pickup 'Jazz'. I installed one once - took it back out the next day and sold it. The SD 59 is way the hell better for jazz and I hear the SD Seth Lover is better yet.

BTW, I've used flatwounds on my Tele , 10, 11 and 12 sets, and loved 'em all.

User Info Menu

I purchased the Seymour Duncan jazz pup simply because I've used their pickups for a few of my guitars in the past and been really impressed with the results. I have to say, the that the jazz pup is not as mellow as I thought it would be but there is a vast improvement in the sound quality and note clarity over the original pickup that was on the guitar.
    Back to the Thomastick flats, I really love these strings, been playing them for hours now and they are settling in now and sounding better as time goes on So much so that I'm ordering a set for my Strat and see how that goes
    Hugh.

I have D'Addario flat wounds (12s) on my Tele and I don't recommend the 12s. Really stiff, hard to bend. Nice sound, but I'd go with the 11s or I might try 10s next. For what it's worth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PolarBexar
    I have D'Addario flat wounds (12s) on my Tele and I don't recommend the 12s. Really stiff, hard to bend. Nice sound, but I'd go with the 11s or I might try 10s next. For what it's worth.
    I have D'Addario 13-56 with the 13 and 17 replaced by 14 and 18 on my electric guitars. It gives a lovely fat and classic jazz guitar sound. But then I don't bend a lot.....

I guess it does make a difference what you are going to be doing with the guitar. Mine has to double for blues sometimes and I need a little more flexibility (or stronger fingers, ha).