The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 27

User Info Menu

I would like to practice with something a step above a typical metronome. With the recent purchase of a Digitech Jamman solo I was looking to get a real rhythm feel going using some device in the aux input jack.

I really dig having a good rhythm as the playing seems to flow more freely and naturally. I would prefer a device, a simple drum machine, as opposed to a computer based program or backtracks from YouTube or others.

I have seen Alesis Model 16 and 18 recommended, among others. I'm looking to spend $100 or less for something used.

Any recommendations or thoughts would be appreciated.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Boss and Yamaha made a lot of them that you should be able to get used. I have an old Yamaha QY22 that I really like.

User Info Menu

I have never liked drum machines very much,had a Yamaha QY something years ago,and lately a Roland DR 670 wich was waaaaay better,good rhytms already inside,and then infinite programmig ways....on 2nd hand market can find them easily....
    At the moment i prefer to make my own drum tracks with Logic,it's another world completely

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    I would like to practice with something a step above a typical metronome. With the recent purchase of a Digitech Jamman solo I was looking to get a real rhythm feel going using some device in the aux input jack.

I really dig having a good rhythm as the playing seems to flow more freely and naturally. I would prefer a device, a simple drum machine, as opposed to a computer based program or backtracks from YouTube or others.

I have seen Alesis Model 16 and 18 recommended, among others. I'm looking to spend $100 or less for something used.

Any recommendations or thoughts would be appreciated.

I have an Alesis Model 16 I'll will sell for $50.00 plus a few bucks for shipping. It's programed with a lot of jazz and Latin patterns, but of course you can make your own patterns also.

User Info Menu

You could consider the Korg Pandora , has drums and a bass line playing if you choose to use it , I do .

User Info Menu

I have a drum machine, but never liked it, so it was pretty much wasted money.

But the iReal app, which is available for both iOS and Android platforms, works well for me. It can be considered a mini Band in a Box. You can download a digital Real Book for it with many, many hundreds standards and jazz tunes for free from iReal to play on your phone with realistically sounding piano, bass and drums. There are volume controls for all three instruments, so one or more can be cut out (guitarists may want to cut out the piano when playing chord melody). The tempo is adjustable and the tune can be transposed to any key. I use it on my Samsung phone, hooked up to a cheap Behringer powered PA speaker (but anything would have worked). I place the phone on the music stand where it's easy to reach but the phone display is a bit small for viewing the chords - a 10" tablet would be perfect in size but I don't have one (yet).

On Google Play, the Android version costs around $10. Most of us have something to hook a smartphone up to - a stereo, a portabale radio, a guitar amp or whatever. I think it's hard to find a cheaper drum machine.

User Info Menu

+1. I use it on an iPad.

User Info Menu

Well I've shopped around for all sorts of answers. i've had drum machines, Garage Band on the iPad, backing tracks, running tracks from Sibelious music transcribing software, and creating my own rhythm backing track recordings.

The one that stands out is creating basslines with G7 (Sibelious) swapping it into an Alesis S18, and running it alongside a drum track programmed in to match. Feels real, sounds good enough to gig with, loads of variety in bass and drum sounds, ultimate flexibility (without having to cope with other musicians egos.)

Going to gig with this set up by next summer.

User Info Menu

i have drum machines and they collect dust. If you want to work on time stick to a metronome. Drum machine if recording or working on a specific feel.

User Info Menu

The SR18 is more like having a bass player and drummer backing you up. I've hada drum machine long ago, but this SR18 is a diferent game altogether, a big step on from the SR16.

User Info Menu

Looks like I,ll be getting the i real app , quite a lot for £6.99 uk .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldane
    I have a drum machine, but never liked it, so it was pretty much wasted money.

But the iReal app, which is available for both iOS and Android platforms, works well for me. It can be considered a mini Band in a Box. You can download a digital Real Book for it with many, many hundreds standards and jazz tunes for free from iReal to play on your phone with realistically sounding piano, bass and drums. There are volume controls for all three instruments, so one or more can be cut out (guitarists may want to cut out the piano when playing chord melody). The tempo is adjustable and the tune can be transposed to any key. I use it on my Samsung phone, hooked up to a cheap Behringer powered PA speaker (but anything would have worked). I place the phone on the music stand where it's easy to reach but the phone display is a bit small for viewing the chords - a 10" tablet would be perfect in size but I don't have one (yet).

On Google Play, the Android version costs around $10. Most of us have something to hook a smartphone up to - a stereo, a portabale radio, a guitar amp or whatever. I think it's hard to find a cheaper drum machine.
    This is probably a real dumb question , the demo only shows chord charts , does it show notation as well .?Thanks .

User Info Menu

If you want something really nice I suggest you go this way:
    Get a decent DAW for your computer. Reaper in example, - will cost you $60 if I remember right. (Download the free 30 days demoversion).
    Then buy some jazz drumloops from Groove Monkeys. These loops are played by real jazzdrummers on real drums and are way ahead of any drummachines. You can very easy arrange complete songs with intro/outro, verses, chorus, fills and whatever you like.

User Info Menu

I use a Korg Electribe from time to time, although it seems to be more popular as a beat box for hip hop or electro. But it does a pretty good job of filling in a background beat when I want one.

That said, there are plenty of less expensive options, especially apps for iOS (including the Korg iElectribe).

User Info Menu

To me, the best practice tool is Band In A Box, hands down.

YMMV.

User Info Menu

I,m not having any luck downloading the i real b app on to my Arnova G2 10 " tablet. I would like some help or advice if poss . Plan B is there any other Apps of this kind that I could try .thanks ...hb

User Info Menu

Another rec for iRealB. (BIAB if you capitulate on dragging a PC into the pic.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henry b
    I,m not having any luck downloading the i real b app on to my Arnova G2 10 " tablet. I would like some help or advice if poss . Plan B is there any other Apps of this kind that I could try .thanks ...hb
    OK , got the app into the Tablet as well as The Fake Book , but it is all in chord format , are there any notation apps . Thanks .

User Info Menu

What are you exactly looking for? There are some apps with notation but it sounds like you wanta fake book online.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDowning
    What are you exactly looking for? There are some apps with notation but it sounds like you wanta fake book online.
    Like I said I thought the Fake books were in notation ,didn,t say otherwise .I do have Real and Fake books in pdf format and I print off the ones I want to play/practice and choose a suitable backing track from i real b .

User Info Menu

ireal b on iPad, Alessis IO dock, me on Gretsch(!) guitar, wife on vocals. Mexico's smallest jazz band.

User Info Menu

I think at a pretty basic level you could program in all the chords on Garage Band and create a backing track. I'm messing around with the old G7 Sibelious software and an SR 18 which you can program the bass line from G7.

Do you want to do gigs with this set up or just practice?

User Info Menu

It,s for my own practice times .

User Info Menu

I think he's looking for the melody sheet for the heads. You will probably not find those in an app. IIRC, the melody can be copyrighted, but the chord progression can't. So all the programs have the chord arrangements, but you'll have to find (not terribly difficult) printed or PDF versions of lead sheets.

Think of it as motivation for memorization of heads

User Info Menu

if you scan the PDF sheets into the demo version of Sibelious you can play them back