The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 75
    I have a Barker archtop s/n 4571 bought in London 20 years ago.

I would appreciate any heads up towards articles,photos etc. and posts from other Barker owners,
    Pip!Pip!

College Harry

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by college harry
    I have a Barker archtop s/n 4571 bought in London 20 years ago.
    I would appreciate any heads up towards articles,photos etc. and posts from other Barker owners,
    Pip!Pip!
    College Harry
    I don't own one, but I owned a D'Angelico that was restored by Bill Barker. He did a beautiful job. I did some research and realized that Barker had an excellent reputation. I also talked to a guy named Mark Cleary, who knew Bill Barker. Mark Had lots of info about him and owned a couple Barker guitars. If you don't know Mark, you might find him on the RMMGJ newsgroup, as he posted a lot there. If you pm me, I can probably find Mark's contact info. Btw, you probably already know that Martin Taylor played a Barker for many years. He spoke very highly of that guitar.
    Keith

Thank you for responding.It would be kind if you could supply me with a way of contacting the gentleman concerned.
    I have spoken to Martin Taylor and he was very helpful,also Jack Barker's widow,Marge,although that was in 1992,and she may have passed on since then.
    Good to hear from you,
    Harry

User Info Menu

I don't seem to have his email address any more, but you might be able to send him a message through his YouTube channel. He has posted a lot of videos demonstrating high end guitars. His YouTube name is deaconmark1. Here is a clip of him playing a Barker guitar:

Keith

User Info Menu

Here's Bob Conti playing a 7 string Barker guitar.

Thank you gentlemen(if that isn't a sexist assumption),Keith and Klatu.
    Your input is much appreciated.
    Harry

User Info Menu

Thank you gentlemen(if that isn't a sexist assumption),Keith and Klatu.
    Your input is much appreciated.
    Harry
    Not a sexist assumption. If Keith were a woman, she would have the most awkward name in history. "Klatu" is a word I took from "Army of Darkness" which was taken from "The Day the Earth Stood Still". I don't know any ladies who are into both stupid stoner comedies and classic sci-fi.

User Info Menu

Yes I knew Barker well was in his shop all the time from about 1979 thru 1983. After that I started hanging around Bill Hollenbeck who also spent lots if time in the Barker shop. In the last fees years Barker was less active and we sort of went separate ways due to many things including just what was important. Barker played at my wedding in 1986 about the last of his gigging time. He had health problems but never really was specific. Died in 1991 heart gave out.

I still play my own Barker I bought via him in 1979 and have dad's from 1965. This made one number before Martin Taylor's. my dad had #8 and MT had 9. Martin played mine on a visit to Barkers in 1986. He was really interested in seeing and hearing his sisters guitar.

I have another Barker too and would like sell it but market is just awful for these guitars. It is a 1968 really a loud and cutting sound. I just do not need it as mostly I play my 18 in Hollenbeck the best for sure.

Thanks Mark,
    we have previously been in contact via your youtube site where I labour under the nom de net of Bessie99Big.
    I saw a "Barker" advertised on ebay which apparently went for $500 which is ludicrous,the de Armond must be worth that.
    I have yet to see a "Barker" for sale here in the UK.

User Info Menu

Check vintagearchtop.com

Barker's have been owned by a few Chicago pro players, Frank Portolese, Jack Ceccini. Frank's CDs show the Barker off to great advantage, especially his solo jazz album.

The Martin Taylor arch top was a gift from his mentor, Ike Isaacs.

I have an 18 inch blonde Barker. Plays fine with a good setup.

User Info Menu

Hello.
    I am the owner of the WG Barker archtop guitar #1466 for sale at www.VintageArchtop.com.
    It's a nice guitar with great tone, but unfortunately it doesn't fit me.

User Info Menu

Just a stab, and resurrecting an old(ish) thread. But I knew and worked with Bill Barker at a local music store. I got to know him and befriend him over the years I was there. He was a master craftsman and an overall interesting guy. To this day I kick myself for not taking more lessons from him (I was his student for a few months up until his death), and even more not learning more about the craft of guitar building. He offered many times to let me in on his building guitars, but I was a young punk and had no idea what a master he was. One of the best (and dirtiest) musician stories I heard from Bill. And if you didn't know, Bill was a WWII vet, who was shot from the belly off a B17 bomber over Germany. He spent years in a POW camp and the terrible conditions there were probably a factor in his early death. Great guy, and if you own one of his guitars, I dunno why you would ever sell it. I would give just about anything to own one of his works now.

User Info Menu

I have 3 Barkers so I am selling one. Contact me it is a great deal I assure you

Thank you Bahnzo for a fascinating post. I had no idea Bill Barker was a USAAF vet who was shot down over Germany.The history of the 8th Air Force over here in the UK is an interest of mine,which makes it a small worldFDo you by chance know where he was based?
    I have had my Barker for 20 years and it is still gigged regularly.It will have to be prised from my stiffening hands - if Imay misquote Charlton Heston.

User Info Menu

I'm selling my Barker s/n 1466 - even though it is a wonderful guitar with a fascinating story (see www.VintageArchtop.com) - because it is so different from my 1947 Gibson L-7 (my main guitar) and I cannot adapt myself to it. If you are interested, feel free to contact me.

User Info Menu

Thank you Bahnzo for a fascinating post. I had no idea Bill Barker was a USAAF vet who was shot down over Germany.The history of the 8th Air Force over here in the UK is an interest of mine,which makes it a small worldFDo you by chance know where he was based?
    I have had my Barker for 20 years and it is still gigged regularly.It will have to be prised from my stiffening hands - if Imay misquote Charlton Heston.
    Bill spent *years* in a German POW camp which he attributed to his lung/breathing problems. He hated smoking and was maybe a reason he never gigged in the later years I knew him. I have no idea what unit or where he was based. I didn't even know he was a WWII vet until one day I was helping him move apartments and he told me about being shot down and spending time in a camp. I remember also him telling me how much hated the TV show Hogan's Heros. "There was nothing funny or fun about the time I spent" he said.

I realize there are Barker guitars out there for sale. I don't have the cash to even think about them. Maybe someday, but certainly not now.

Thank you Bahnzo,I appreciate you going to the trouble.

User Info Menu

If I may, in what year did Mr Barker start to build archtop guitars?

Jack,
    as far as I am aware Mr Barker built his first guitar in 1959.This may well be a bit out.Bill Cook at cookguitars.com used to work with him and may be able to help.
    Harry

User Info Menu

Thanks C H ! I'll follow up.

User Info Menu

Howdy Barker fans.....I have a lot of Bill's old memorabilia and included is the diary he kept while he was a POW. He was actually shot down over the Netherlands....shattered his leg in the parachute drop on frozen November (1944) ground......spent that winter in a German Prison Hospital....was liberated by the Russians the following April (1945). It's been a while since I read through the diary, but I think the dates are accurate.

I miss Bill very much....pictures of him and Jack hang on the walls of my shop....I spent 15 tears hangin' out with those two and it changed my life. I haven't built anything new in the past decade, but currently have a half dozen 17" Cook guitars in progress. My day gig is not leaving much time to work on them, but retirement is just around the corner.....I plan to spend the rest of my life making sawdust, sniffin' glue, and tryin' to make that perfect guitar. One day they'll pry the chisel out of my cold dead hand......but not today.

Billy Cook
    cookguitars.com

User Info Menu

I am looking for a top grade condition Barker, preferable from the 1960s but will consider all.
    Thank you

User Info Menu

Hi Howard. As you maybe already know, I have a 1966 Barker archtop in excellent condition for sale.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Howard W
    I am looking for a top grade condition Barker, preferable from the 1960s but will consider all.
    Thank you
    George Gruhn has a nice one on his site
    Keith

User Info Menu

Ran across Mr. Deacon Mark's entry about Bill Barker who made mention of Bill Hollenbeck. I met Mr. Hollenbeck a couple times at guitar trade shows. I really enjoyed our discussions. He was helpful to me personally in becoming a luthier. Mr. Bill would answer any question I placed to him about building, tuning, construction methods you name it. I hope he is doing well. After seeing the Barkers, I can see the influences on Mr. Hollenbeck. It is good to see both of their names on the internet and especially JazzGuitar.