The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 75 of 75

User Info Menu

Unfortunately I do not. This was the only piece my Uncle passed along to me prior to his death. Everything else I have learned through reading forums like these and articles online.

Quote Originally Posted by AGM
    Fantastic! Bmjared......Do you have any more material that you could share on Mr Barker and his guitars?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Resurrecting this old thread, but wanted to post an update. In the last year, with daily searching and reaching out online, I have been very blessed to find and purchase (2) Barker guitars. #1966 and #7384. Thought I'd share a couple photos.

Barker Guitars - Any owners out there?-img_8077-jpg

Barker Guitars - Any owners out there?-img_8076-jpg

User Info Menu

I remember Bill building the 1984 Barker was in the shop when it was being built and finished. Was originally made for a guitarist was studying at Berklee school of Music in Boston. Unusual in that has a mounted volume control pickup wire goes down the top. Barker normally would not ever do this but he thought it would not really effect the acoustic sound so he went ahead and made the guitar this way. I would be curious of where and when you got them. PM if you don't want to tell the world. My guess is the blond is a refinish.

User Info Menu

responded via PM

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bmjared
    Resurrecting this old thread, but wanted to post an update. In the last year, with daily searching and reaching out online, I have been very blessed to find and purchase (2) Barker guitars. #1966 and #7384. Thought I'd share a couple photos.

Barker Guitars - Any owners out there?-img_8077-jpg

Barker Guitars - Any owners out there?-img_8076-jpg
    Lovely instruments and I hope you are enjoying them....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bcook
    Howdy Barker fans.....I have a lot of Bill's old memorabilia and included is the diary he kept while he was a POW. He was actually shot down over the Netherlands....shattered his leg in the parachute drop on frozen November (1944) ground......spent that winter in a German Prison Hospital....was liberated by the Russians the following April (1945). It's been a while since I read through the diary, but I think the dates are accurate.

I miss Bill very much....pictures of him and Jack hang on the walls of my shop....I spent 15 tears hangin' out with those two and it changed my life. I haven't built anything new in the past decade, but currently have a half dozen 17" Cook guitars in progress. My day gig is not leaving much time to work on them, but retirement is just around the corner.....I plan to spend the rest of my life making sawdust, sniffin' glue, and tryin' to make that perfect guitar. One day they'll pry the chisel out of my cold dead hand......but not today.

Billy Cook
    cookguitars.com
    Hey Billy, do you have any snaps of Bill and his guitars you could share? Thank you.

User Info Menu

I don’t think Billy Cook hangs around the forum or even online. I heard he was building boats. I have many pictures of Barker. He made great guitars was bit strange I might add.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Klatu
    Here's Bob Conti playing a 7 string Barker guitar.

That extra string sure makes a difference. So rich and creamy!

User Info Menu

My dad played Bill's 8th serial numbered guitar made in March 1965. I have it sitting here in the room. It is great guitar full or sound and power. I also have my own Barker made in 1971. I studied guitar with Bill Barker from about 1975-77 off and on. Later I hung around his shop that was in Bartonville Illinois. Bill was ok at first but later on as I got older, I found him to be incredibly opinionated and egoistical. He basically thought Gibson guitars were horrible and nobody in the entire company could build a guitar by themselves. He even wanted to do some carving on a particular D'angelico once to improve the sound, thinking he was better at the process. Luckly that never happened. That is an absolute true story and one I am sure many luthiers would find interesting.

Barker had his brother Jack help him who was equally odd but not really a guitarist. Barker played at my wedding in 1986 with Billy Cook and a bass player. After that I became a bit distanced from Barker as he was very self-centered and just hard to be around. Looking back, it was a chance of a lifetime to hang around him and learn about guitars and music. However, from a standpoint of other things it became a bit toxic. Bill Cook makes wonderful guitars and is a fantastic player himself, but he keeps to himself. I have tried to stay in touch with Cook but not much response. Possibly I might have him mad about something, but I really don't know.

User Info Menu

It's a very interesting story.
    What do you think when you compare Barker guitars and vintage D'Angelico guitars?

User Info Menu

My 2 Barkers hold up well to any guitars acoustically I have played. They have what I call the "Barker sound" which is very responsive to the touch but not necessarily the loudest guitars made. Bill was really looking for a well-balanced sound up and down the neck. My dad's 1965 Barker is louder and bit more robust than my 1971. Probably because it is braced with only 1 single traversed brace very similar to a Stromberg. The 71 ha2 a offshoot brace that became the standard after about 1969. Bill adapted the single traversed bass bar to include an offshoot but not at all an X braced guitar. The 71 is mellower and for chord-melody and better sound but both are simply wonderful.

My 2 Dangelico's are very different, and they are 18-inch guitars so again hard comparison. They sound nothing like the Barker's but I am sure in a blind test not knowing what guitar was being played different players would have different opinions on the sound. The biggest difference is my 49 has a huge bass presence and it throbs in the middle of the neck of the guitar, like no other guitar I have played does. I frankly judge all acoustic carved tops by this guitar. Really it is about splitting hairs because in the end they all sound great and play great, after that it is only different, not necessarily better.

If you ever find a Barker and the price looks decent, I suggest getting it they are great. There are 2 in particular on Reverb now at $9k each. I played them when they were made and for $6500 you will not find a better guitar, Gibson L5 included. The problem is that Gibson L5's are right now the number one carved top guitar by any standard are much easier to sell if force to sell or you want to sell. I would probably buy on these guitars if the guy would come down on the price to say $6-6.5k but I don't think he will and I don't need one as such.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I don’t think Billy Cook hangs around the forum or even online. I heard he was building boats. I have many pictures of Barker. He made great guitars was bit strange I might add.

Mark, would you be interested in sending me those pictures? I would be very grateful as I have an on going interest in Mr Barker and his guitars.

User Info Menu

Really it is about splitting hairs because in the end they all sound great and play great, after that it is only different, not necessarily .
    Mark, I reckon that is spot on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AGM
    Mark, I reckon that is spot on.
    They are actual photos that are from years ago real ones not jpg forms or digital. Also, I play they Barker on this tune I put up in the show case but I post it here and hope I don't offend anyone. My Johnny Smith arrangement of My Romance. This played on my 1971 Barker 17 inch guitar his later style when he changed the body shape, bracing, headstock and tailpiece. Barker made guitars in batches of 4 or 5 usually. This guitar was his own for that batch. It has a bit wider neck at 1 3/4 and beautiful fiddle back. He later sold it to a player in Chicago and I bought it from that guy in 1979. I still marvel at the guitar when I take it out to play. I have much more respect for it now than when I was at that time 17 years old.

User Info Menu

They are actual photos that are from years ago real ones not jpg forms or digital.
    Mark,

Very nicely played.....the guitar sounds good.

Oh that's a pity about the snaps, you don't have a scanner by any chance?

I love my 1960s beat up W.G. Barker guitar it has a lovely acoustic and electric tone to it......you know I wish I owned another!

User Info Menu

They are actual photos that are from years ago real ones not jpg forms or digital. Also, I play they Barker on this tune I put up in the show case but I post it here and hope I don't offend anyone. My Johnny Smith arrangement of My Romance. This played on my 1971 Barker 17 inch guitar his later style when he changed the body shape, bracing, headstock and tailpiece. Barker made guitars in batches of 4 or 5 usually. This guitar was his own for that batch. It has a bit wider neck at 1 3/4 and beautiful fiddle back. He later sold it to a player in Chicago and I bought it from that guy in 1979. I still marvel at the guitar when I take it out to play. I have much more respect for it now than when I was at that time 17 years old.
    PS Could you supply me the serial number for your 1971 Barker please?

User Info Menu

Barker Guitars - Any owners out there?-barker-8587-8-jpg

Barker Guitars - Any owners out there?-barker-8587-9-jpg

Barker Guitars - Any owners out there?-barker-8587-11-jpg

Barker Guitars - Any owners out there?-barker-8587-12-jpg

Barker Guitars - Any owners out there?-barker-8587-13-jpg

I bought this from a gentleman who was a friend of Bill's received it in his Estate along with his fakebooks (one of which has his name embossed on it).

I was told that this was the last one that he built but, the serial number disagrees with some of the online info.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sunstate Rick View Post
    Barker Guitars - Any owners out there?-barker-8587-8-jpg

Barker Guitars - Any owners out there?-barker-8587-9-jpg

Barker Guitars - Any owners out there?-barker-8587-11-jpg

Barker Guitars - Any owners out there?-barker-8587-12-jpg

Barker Guitars - Any owners out there?-barker-8587-13-jpg

I bought this from a gentleman who was a friend of Bill's received it in his Estate along with his fakebooks (one of which has his name embossed on it).

I was told that this was the last one that he built but, the serial number disagrees with some of the online info.
    Beautiful - welcome to the forum. That guitar made it all the way to Melbourne, Australia?

User Info Menu

I'm in Melbourne, Florida (Space Coast)

User Info Menu

I'm in Melbourne, Florida (Space Coast)
    What is the serial number I can tell if it was the last one made. Based on the bone overlay for the saddle I can tell you this was one of the last 5 or so Barker guitars. I don't remember playing it but I was out of touch with Barker the last few years, he was difficult to be around. Great guitar I am sure it sounds incredible.

User Info Menu

Folks interested in the Barker sound should check out Frank Portolese Frank Portolese | Jazz guitar

PK

User Info Menu

My Barker's serial number is 8587.
    It plays & sounds wonderful! Once compared it with a Benedetto Cremona & thought that it held it's own.
    It was left to Bob Stroganoff.
    Any information would be much appreciated.
    I've had it maybe 25 years give or take a few.

User Info Menu

What a wonderful thread. Thanks to everyone who contributed. I was mostly unaware of the Barker guitars. Great contributions!

User Info Menu

My Barker's serial number is 8587.
    It plays & sounds wonderful! Once compared it with a Benedetto Cremona & thought that it held it's own.
    It was left to Bob Stroganoff.
    Any information would be much appreciated.
    I've had it maybe 25 years give or take a few.
    So there we have it the guitar was the 85th guitar that was serial numbered. The first 15 or so were not serial numbered the thought is Barker made about 100-110 guitars from about 1962-1987. This would have been one of the last Barker Guitars. At this time Barker was using Acrylic lacquer not nitro-cellulose. These finishes are every bit as good as Nitro finish, they do not cause the binding to yellow or get the typical lacquer checking that nitro does. At the same time this is not the poly thick lacquer you see now on import guitars that is usually used.

This guitar would definitely be within the last 5 guitars made and in fact the last batch Barker made. He usually made guitars in batches of 5 guitars at a time. It is important to note Bill Hollenbeck and Bill Cook were both trained and worked in Barker's shop. Bill Cool bought the old shop around 1988 ish and he still make guitars but has not made any in a while. Bill Hollenbeck died in 2008 and I worked with him, and I also hung around Barker's shop from 1978-1986. I studied guitar with him also. Barker was a fine player and one of the best players who also made guitars. Few full-time makers are great players although they might be very competent. Barker was good and he was a singer too, primarily at singer in many gigs.

I will also note that both Bill Hollenbeck and Cook returned to using traditional nitro-cellulose lacquer finishes. Hollenbeck thought that nitro was superior and gave the guitar a bit more air to breath. I believe that both Hollenbeck and Cook took the Barker guitar sound and made it their own. In the end I believe their guitars are even better in overall comparison.

Bill Barker developed a heart and lung condition that might have come on working around guitars and the environment. He died in 1991 needed a heart transplant and refused one. I don't think he did much at least the last year or maybe 2 years. Barker was very opinionated and had specific ideas about guitars and building. He said when he first started by learning from Chicago Luthier Carl Albanus Johnson (he made Albanus guitars), he also corresponded with John D'angelico mostly about where to get supplies. He said John D'angelico was very helpful in getting sources for wood and materials.

My 2 Barker guitars can compete and keep with anything other guitars I have and have played. They are particularly warm sounding and with a 24 27/32 scale length very nice to play. They bite in sound softer compared to Gibson L5s. Barker was making acoustic archtops with that sound entirely in mind. He normally always attached a pickup mostly Dearmond's, but his first concern was acoustic sound. He would not mount pickups in the top of the guitar. He never did although one that Mary Osborne played, she had it converted. Tragic mistake on her part and Bill was disappointed. To me Barkers sound in-between an old Epiphone guitars and Dangelico's. He made mostly 17-inch guitars and some 18s but not many. He made about 5, 7 string guitars, including one for me in 1985 but I sold it a few years later.

His guitars also have a shallow neck angle which I think helps give the warm sound, but it was almost too shallow in some cases. That might me my only criticism and these guitars fine but only a few pickups work on them. He at least twice I know went back a number of years later and put new fingerboards some guitars to get them to be higher over the body. I effect he wedged the fingerboard up toward the bridge higher gradually. I think he did this to avoid a neck reset. If you listen to my cut on the comparison of Dearmond 1100 pickups I am playing my 1979 Barker. It is a recent thread.

User Info Menu

Thank You! I knew he made that quantity of guitars but did not know how it could be numbered 85 & be the "last one".
    The 1st bunch not being numbered now makes sense. 1987 is the year it was made according to my understanding of the serial number.
    Bob (at the time a jazz guitarist) made his own archtop while working with Bill. I'll reach out to him & find out the years that they hung together.
    The only mods I've done is move the pick-up jack (1/8" inch) from under the pick-guard to an end pin 1/4" jack.
    BTW it has an 18" bout which you said was rare.