The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

I use this looper called a Boomerang for practice improvising over a chord pattern.

Only has one loop though,which you can layer over.

I'd love to hear what you other loopers out there use and what you like and don't like about your unit.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think loopers are a great practice tool for jazz guitar - a) there is nowhere to hide b) there is no temptation to "just check my email" c) your hands stay pretty much on the guitar

I use the Digitech JamMan - great unit but it would be even better if you could configure the click to just sound on 2 and 4. The output could use a bit more volume for headphones - or maybe I'm going deaf

User Info Menu

Hi,

I use the boss rc50, quiet a big device, but really good to pratice. I also use it a lot to really listen to what I play, I just overdub the comping with my improv, then listen to it, then by simply pressing the undo pedal I'm back to a comping-only track and I can start improvising again.

It comes with a drum machine which doesn't have much jazzy pattern, except a swing one which is actually ok.

As I said, it's maybe a bit overkill and has hundreds of functions I'm not using yet... I would have bought the jamman if a friend of mine was not selling the rc50 for cheap at this time.

User Info Menu

I've just bought the Boss RC-2 for practicing. Still have to learn to use it, though (it's not an intuitive "plug-and-play" pedal).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bill C
    I think loopers are a great practice tool for jazz guitar - a) there is nowhere to hide b) there is no temptation to "just check my email" c) your hands stay pretty much on the guitar

I use the Digitech JamMan - great unit but it would be even better if you could configure the click to just sound on 2 and 4. The output could use a bit more volume for headphones - or maybe I'm going deaf
    I too use the JamMan, and love it for certain types of practice. When I am working on ideas over just one chord, or just a progression, like ii V I, then I use it. Anything more involved, I use BIAB.

I just turn off the click track on mine. If you want the click on the 2 and 4, can't you just set the speed you want and count it that way? I never use the click, so I don't know about adjustability.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by derek
    I too use the JamMan, and love it for certain types of practice. When I am working on ideas over just one chord, or just a progression, like ii V I, then I use it. Anything more involved, I use BIAB.

I just turn off the click track on mine. If you want the click on the 2 and 4, can't you just set the speed you want and count it that way? I never use the click, so I don't know about adjustability.
    The problem is that I use the Auto Record function, which places the first note you play squarely on "one" - I guess this would work if I started playing on "two" and ended on "one" but my brain can't get that together
    Maybe I should try recording without the Auto Record ...

User Info Menu

The original 'jamman' was made by Lexicon. It was a rackmount unit that you could hook up a foot switch to. It truly was awesome. I'm not sure how you recorded the loops into it but if I remember correctly you could record a few loops (I'm not referring to 'layering' ) into it just with the footswitch. The Roland RC-50 can handle three 'phrases' or loops.I'd like to be able to record the loops or progressions without taking my hand off the guitar. Ableton live(version 8)has a new 'looper' but it also seems to be limited to layering. If you want to record progressions you'd have to use a mouse.Granted once you have your 'song' you only need to press play and use a midi footswitch for more flexiblity. What if you want to extend your verse by a few bars or change the chord sequence? To me it seems like all these gadgets do a lot but you have to input and save your data several times.They seem to lack spontaneity.The reviews for the digitech jamman are mixed on the harmony central message board.

User Info Menu

I use Impro-visor (free, and comes with hundreds of tunes). I also use RC-2 looper (device) for practicing both soloing and comping.

User Info Menu

Hi all!
    I thought you guys might want to check out this video

It's Me one and a half year ago, before I started playing any jazz. I was just listening to a pop tune one night and wanted to try it out.. Well.. Don't know what got into me but now Jazz is the Only thing I play =)

But, I bought a Line6 Delay from a teacher at my school, and a whole new approach to practicing came out. I found that I actually practiced more on progressions- cause it was so easy to do the recording of them... Cause now the opportunity was in my pedalboard. But also just for sounds, getting deep with The Modes and practicing things in different tempos and etc.

Keep in mind that the above mentioned pedal only has max 30 seconds of recording. So if you are more serious and want to record longer you might wanna check out the Boss RC-2

Well Happy practicing you guys.. And thanks for the good spirit!

User Info Menu

Great job looping,Tumbleweed! The Roland RC-50 seems to be the most flexible out there although it's a little pricey.

User Info Menu

I've been playing guitar for long enough (and trombone before that) but only now getting into jazz. I want to get more comfortable playing over chord changes. I can do it all in GarageBand but I find that the software is a bit of a pain plus it's not as immediate as I want.

I was thinking about getting a looper that I could plug into my amp so I could quickly lay down some changes and play some solos through it. I'm currently working through the Mimi Fox arpeggio book and I feel like it would be incredibly helpful.

Does anyone have advice on loop pedals? I'm only going to be using it for practice in my room.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

I love the Boomerang III

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply. I was looking up the Boomerang and it seems amazing but maybe a bit much for simple practicing in my room. Also the price tag is higher than what I was expecting.

Any good things to say about some of the less expensive loopers?

User Info Menu

I use the loop function on a Zoom G3, it's really useful for practicing things such as a jazz blues, but for songs with longer forms I end up just using quicktime movie recorder. Impro-viser or BIAB may be more useful if you're just looking to improvise over a backing as they are slightly closer to a live experience.

User Info Menu

It just depends on how much you want to spend, and what features you want/need.

I tried a few of them, including an early Digitech JamMan and the Boss RC-3. They're all pretty good. If money is an issue I'd probably go with the Digitech JamMan solo.

Making loops in Garageband is pretty easy once you get the hang of it, and since you have it already it won't cost you anything. Good luck.

User Info Menu

Loopers are great for practicing. I use a Digitech JamMan Stereo.

I used to make practice tracks on my computer and it is much more versitile but the JamMan works for quick, easy tracks.

User Info Menu

I have an RC2 from boss.
    I hit record with foot ... play a progression.. hit it with my foot again.
    Double hit with my foot and it starts playing what I recorded.

If you want an amazing looper this ISNT it.. 15 min of recording time. Used they go for about 100-120$.

If you want something to jam along with and you can use your feet (ipads etc arnt that practical to me because I dont want to step on it.) a basic loop pedal will probably do the trick

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    I've tried to think of creative MIDI tracks I can create in Logic Studio Pro with all the cool Audio Units I have (B4, M-Tron, Moog, Kirk Hunter Strings, to name a few), and then sample them live on my JamMan stereo looper.

This would be for performance purposes, obviously. Something different--totally non guitar tracks.

With the JamMan Stereo you can load any MP3 or WAV file from your PC to the looper and play it back to play over.

User Info Menu

I would view a looper as a secondary tool. For jazz practice, it's hard to beat iReal. You can loop the vamps as needed.

User Info Menu

I've used a looper for the function you describe and found it very easy and helpful to try different approaches over a recorded progression. It also forces you to know the harmony well and comp in time. I don't use the looper for anything else so I couldn't comment on the group as a whole.

I use the Boss RC20xl where you can set it to activate on the first chord you play and then step on the pedal at the end of the progression and it comes immediately back to the beginning of your progression playing what you've laid down. You just need to time the pedal stepping to the first beat of the next cycle. I suspect they all have this function but it makes it very easy. One thing I do is to put the looper on the effects line out and in of the amp and play with another multieffects pedal between guitar and amp input. This allows you to lay down the harmony in one effect and your improvisation in another so it stands out more clearly. From my reading the Boss pedal may be more expensive than others that have the same functionality. This is an older model. I don't think you need to spend a bundle for the functionality I described. If you don't plan to use it to perform you may not need to pay for excessive record times or storage slots. I find the drum/ metronome function on this pedal noisy and not useful. Good luck
    Last edited by keith; 11-13-2012 at 02:58 PM.

User Info Menu

i was using the boss rc 200
    now I use a Digitech JamMan Stereo.
    I think it's better for me

User Info Menu

I was once a serious Looper (see website) but now that I'm playing totally jazz, I too find that iRealB is the better practice tool. I love my loopers, but you pick the tool that works best for the job.

Here's a tip for iRealB on your Mac: Export the backing track to Logic or Garageband, record multiple tracks against it, say rhythm, and lead, then delete the backing track in your final mix.

User Info Menu

Have you considered just using backing tracks? There's a million of 'em online and many are free.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Surreal McCoy
    Have you considered just using backing tracks? There's a million of 'em online and many are free.
    Sure, it's easy to find tracks to play over but when you create your own, on the fly it makes you a better player. You're tempo better be the same at the end of a loop as it was in the beginning or it doesn't work. To be honest finding what does and doesn't work is the best part of recording yourself with any device. I wish I had a dime every time I worked on a line but found it didn't work the way I wanted over the bed track.

I always had a problem with the grooves in BIAB. I wanted something different than what they provided and it's fast and easy to lay down a backing track that reflects what I want.
    Last edited by Gramps; 11-16-2012 at 06:53 PM.