The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Which one would you recommend?
    I initally shortlisted Korg PC1 and AW2G which both have a fair price, but there might be better alternatives.
    My top priorities are tuning accuracy and display legibility under most conditions.
    Last edited by mambosun; 11-12-2012 at 07:05 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have the AWG2 and a Snark. The Korg wanders around even when I haven't changed the tuning. It's legibility if fine. The Snark is somewhat steadier and also easy to read as long as the battery is fresh. All in all, I'm not impressed with either. My wife has a Sabine metrotuner(?) that I like a lot more.

Joe

User Info Menu

By far the Peterson Strobo-Clip. Accurate enough to use for absolutely anything (like tuning to make a living).

It has a somewhat absurd faux-strobe display when in fact there is nothing in the technology that calls for this type of display. But visually it works just fine and is a nod to the tradition of strobe tuners.

My one and only gripe is that the clip is rather large. I changed the clip on mine to a smaller one off a Crafter tuner. But I think this is just me being picky.

Really you can use this for very accurate setup work. I even used it to change a couple of piano strings.

I definitely do not use the Peterson "sweet" tuning and other such gimmicks. If I want to flatten the B string because the nut is too high, I'd rather just fix the nut.

All in my opinion.

Chris

User Info Menu

i had a Snark and it died after a couple months and was very finicky when it did work. The guy at the music store recommended I try the Intellitouch PT10, I've had it a few months and no problems and its faster than the Snark on discovering the pitch.

User Info Menu

Planet Waves expensive one, it's the 4th clip I bought and the best. The Korg and the Fishman sucked.

User Info Menu

I love my snark (red one),
    its fast and stays there .......

I had an inteli clip ........ slow to react , didn't stay there
    its now just a backup

User Info Menu

I have the Peterson strobo-clip. It's accurate enough to be annoying when all you want to do is play (stop moving already.. fine.. jeez) but you can use it on any instrument and it's good enough for setting up a floating bridge. Mine seems to have a bit of trouble settling on 'B' but that, and the fact that they are they are relatively expensive are my only complaints. Still, day in, day out I still prefer a Boss TU-12.

User Info Menu

Mind you I've just seen the Planetwaves NS Mini on line
    Oh yeah I always thought the clip on tuner looks a bit uncool
    on the gig

So these might be the thing
    no-one will know you've got a tuner on there
    they'll just think you got perfect pitch !
    It's got auto off too (for when you forget to turn it off)

I'm gonna get me one of those ........

User Info Menu

Just ordered a Planetwaves mini clip
    so I'll let you know how it goes .......

User Info Menu

Thank you guys for all your helpfull feedback !

JPMIke, when you said Korg & Fishmann suck, what do you mean by that?

User Info Menu

I don't know which is the best. But I own two Snarks and keep them in the case of two guitars of mine. Haven't had any issues besides replacing batteries on occasion. Very cheap costing and work well in my opinion.

User Info Menu

I have a Korg AW2G that I really like, it's pretty accurate and is easy to use. I've also got a Snark on the way so I'll be able to see how that compares.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Just ordered a Planetwaves mini clip
    so I'll let you know how it goes .......
    well I used it last night on a jam session ...........

works fine ,and no-one knows you're wearing it
    but I prefer the Snark for speed and readability

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe
    I have a Korg AW2G that I really like, it's pretty accurate and is easy to use. I've also got a Snark on the way so I'll be able to see how that compares.
    I've had my Snark for about a week now. As a tuner it works fine, perhaps note quite as accurate as the Korg but it does the job. I really do not like the pivot mechanism, the movement is very restricted when compared with the Korg, however this isn't really an issue when tuning guitar, but for other (non-string) instruments the Snark doesn't really work.

As I bought the Snark just to live in my Gigbag of my solid body (which recieves about a 1/4 of the play time of my Eastman - which the korg lives in the case of) I'm not too fussed about these niggles.

I've ordered a Planet Waves NS tuner which I've heard good things about. I'll see how that compares as I don't really like the way the korg or the snark stick off the end of my guitar's headstock.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    well I used it last night on a jam session ...........

works fine ,and no-one knows you're wearing it
    but I prefer the Snark for speed and readability
    I planned to buy the planet wave too...

User Info Menu

Red Snark works great for me.

User Info Menu

Just bought the Planetwaves NS Mini: easy to install, easy to use, quite accurate, very legible under most conditions, almost invisible on the headstock etc...
    a must have !