The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 246

User Info Menu

What speakers are in the Mambo combos ?

Celestion neo ? something else UK made maybe ?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

>>What speakers are in the Mambo combos ?>>

USA-made eminence beta 8 or 10, which can take the 180W.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    Jamie I am really glad you liked it - since I've been a really strong promoter of the amps here!

I am getting a head full of custom options and two wedge 10 cabs. Jon's service has been amazing, he's basically responded to any need of mine! Never had such open attitude to custom stuff before...

I agree, no other jazz amp is so warm as the Mambo. I have an Henriksen that's an amazing pedal platform and a JMUL which is a great Fender meets Polytone sound in a small package but the Mambo is by far the best!
    Hey Jorge, if you don't mind me asking...what are the custom options you're getting?

No bother at all Jason! I asked for

1) 50% rms limiter. This means I will have 300w or 150w 4 ohm; 150w or 75w 8 ohm; 75w or 37.5 w 16 ohm. The main goal is to use my 200w 4 ohm cab with it with no risk of blowing speakers but it's also a way of using it with any speaker. I can even use a 16 ohm C Rex if I want... Or any regular 100w 8 ohm Jensen / Eminence.

2) Full reverb control. The reverb is a FV-.1 chip, Jon will put a switch between the two reverb programs and level, dwell, hf, lf controls for the reverb. This is the same chop the Henriksen has and I wanted to have the same options but they never bothered with it.... I really don't get why they don't just put the full chip options available for customers and then you choose what reverb you want.

3) OPA2134 op-amps in the preamp. I am sucker for this op-amps, to my ears everything sounds better with them. I did this mod to the Henriksen and Jazzmaster Ultralight (and some pedals / old amps I no longer have), always with very nice results.

4) Internal US-EU voltage switch because I am heading to New York next summer. I will probably take the henriksen because I don't want to risk the mambo but it's a very simple and useful mod to have in the amp.

That's all

User Info Menu

So, how does the mambo sound with solid-body guitars?

It sounds really good with a 335. No idea with solid bodies.

User Info Menu

I used the Mambo at a big band rehearsal yesterday and it sounded fantastic, I was amazed at just how much volume this little thing put out. It is much much more powerful than my ZT Lunchbox and sounds much better to boot. It is about twice the price unfortunately though.

User Info Menu

Gabe I have to agree with Jorge, you get what you pay for. IMO Mambo amps are underpriced, when you consider the hand-built quality, features, power and sound quality. I don't think you can really compare it with the 30W lunchbox

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    It sounds really good with a 335. No idea with solid bodies.
    Hope Jon doesn't mind me posting this, here's a short clip of Adrian Ingram playing a tele through his wedge 8.

User Info Menu

Sounds great!

User Info Menu

This amp is good beacause it is small...:-)...sounds not bad.
    I personaly prefer bigger tube amps with 12' speakers.

User Info Menu

Well , i cant tell from these recordings at all. The first one sounds like a PA recording and the last youtube thing could just aswell been whatever amp out there. That they sound better than a ZT Lunchbox is not realy a dealbreaker for me at least. Can anybody post something a bit more in detail maybe? Maybe a 335 type guitar , and some pedals on and off. If you have the Head, maybe with a 2.12 cab or something . Thanks/H

User Info Menu

I posted another v short recording with a mambo 8 in an earlier thread; here it is:

my funny valentine - bass solo to end.mp3

Bear in mind that what you're hearing is 75% direct out, 25% speaker though room mic., so I think this shows that the amp sounds great recorded mainly direct.

I hope this helps. I agree you can't tell much from the youtube clip, and as you suggest, I don't think a direct comparison with the lunchbox says much either - they are are not really comparable.
    I'm not sure a recording with pedals will mean much - the mambo is really only of interest to people who want a 'polytone-ish', clean jazz sound but with more punch, volume and clarity in a small package. I have been using it with a 335 as well as archtop and it sounds exceptional with both IMO, especially the head through a 1x12 Altec.

User Info Menu

Nice playing.

The things is, a polytone is a greate pedal amp for me. I like to use it with a RAt sometimes, reverb delay.
    I am hoping the the Mambo Head to be a SS pedal platform to connect to a 212 cab. From what i heard about it, it seem to be true.
    Would be cool to hear it used in that way. If you have time to record something with the 335 and 112 +head and do some diffrent sounds with it, that would be greate.

User Info Menu

A friend of mine who plays a Kurt 335 style guitar recantly bought a mambo and he uses a custom made jam pedal board that has delay, reverb, overdrive, and distortion with the mambo and it sounds amazing.

I am usually a bit of snob, and not easily convinved about using OD with SS amps, but the mambo sounds great with it. Of course the effects loop helps a ton too.

User Info Menu

Do the 10" combos have an ext speaker o/p ?
    can one be fitted when ordering ?
    How much extra would that cost ?

(Well done for building these concept amps in the UK
    I mean loud warm small and light , spot on man)

Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Do the 10" combos have an ext speaker o/p ?
    can one be fitted when ordering ?
    How much extra would that cost ?
    No external speaker o/p on the models with built in speaker. There is connection for speakers - of course - on the head.

As for possibility of ordering it and the price, you can e-mail Jon and ask. My guess is that he will do it for an extra cost. He's open to customization and he is very accesible and answers his mail fast.

Mambo Amp

User Info Menu

The 180w power amp is matched to the internal 8 ohm speaker, so there might be an issue with running it with an external speaker as well, which would reduce the total load impedance from the optimum. But the demo 8" mambo that is going the rounds in the UK has a speaker output which allows a bigger 8 ohm external speaker to be plugged in whilst disconnecting the internal speaker - acting as a head.
    Why not contact Jon Shaw about it - he's very open to these kind of ideas, though pretty busy these days

E-mail Jon, that's the best way. The power amp of the combos cannot go 4 ohm, only 185w 8 ohm and around 90w 16 ohm I think. So if you put a internal speaker mute and an external speaker out that's what you'll have.

The head power amp ratings are on the website,

Jon is very open to any mods, my head will have quite a few just talk with him!

User Info Menu

But the Head should be able to handle any kind of speaker right ?
    I wonder how it would sound if you use it with the speakers of a Fender Twin???
    300W rms 4 Ohm
    150W rms 8 Ohm
    75W rms 16 Ohm

Hmm no... say a C-Rex is 50w or a WGS-65 is 65w. I ordered my head with a 50% limiter which will give

300W or 150w rms 4 Ohm
    150W or 75w rms 8 Ohm
    75W rms or 37.5w 16 Ohm

This way I can have all the versatility I want. I am not sure about Twin speakers but I have a Dr Z with an EV and other with two Tornados; I run both close back and they sound excellent with my henriksen, I assume they will sound just as good with the Mambo

User Info Menu

I dont get it , ofcourse if you drive a 65w speaker to hard it will breake, but thats the case with anything. why would a WGS-65 8ohm speaker not work with the mambo in 8ohm ? Does the Mambos have any cliping protection circuit ? if it has then there should be no danger at all, or so i thought ? Are you saying you need a 150w spekar in 8 ohm ?

User Info Menu

No. All it means is that the amp has 300w and if you drive any speaker with more than its rated power it will blow, so you have to be careful. This applies to any amp of course.

If you want to make that impossible, or if you can't be careful, then you need a 150W speaker at 8 ohm. Or have a limiter put in.

A 'clipping protection' circuit is nothing to do with the speaker. It is to stop the amp clipping at 300w.

User Info Menu

well ok, that means that the head is very limited in use. I mean 99 % of all cabs out there is rated well bellow 150W in 8 ohm. jorgemg1984 How does the limiter work , if you reduce the powe by 50% , will that affect the headroom ? Is that a big mod to have done ?

User Info Menu

>well ok, that means that the head is very limited in use.>>

I don't agree. Some Acoustic Image heads are 400W and over, and members here manage to use them with Raezers Edge and Redstone 100 and 200W cabs without too much trouble. This amps aren't used like Marshall stacks - the high wattage is to give lots of headroom at modest ( eg 50W) average volume levels for jazz gigs.