The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 100 of 100

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Dumb question: what makes a speaker a guitar speaker, in particular, a good speaker for clean jazz guitar?
    Bump. Anybody? What's the difference between a good PA-type speaker and a good guitar speaker for clean jazz? I'm wondering if EQing could make the PA speaker sound like the guitar speaker or if there's something more going on.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I wouldn't say it is a dumb question.
    I think that, in general, if a PA speaker does not carry certain typical frequencies of, say, a solid body, there is no way to reintroduce them with an EQ, but you can adjust the sound the reach a compromise.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175
    I wouldn't say it is a dumb question.
    I think that, in general, if a PA speaker does not carry certain typical frequencies of, say, a solid body, there is no way to reintroduce them with an EQ, but you can adjust the sound the reach a compromise.
    I'd assume, with the PA-type speaker, you'd start with a speaker that had a guitar's range of frequencies. It would be crazy to use just a sub-woofer!

User Info Menu

There isn't really a guitar or PA speaker. We just like to use the mechanical functions in the speaker to create a nuanced sound we like - similar to choosing wood for an acoustic instrument. Its about creating a 'signature' tone to the final sound of the amp.

Having a range of speakers called 'special guitar speakers' is all about making the unlimited variable, available in a marketing package that most players can understand. If you don't want to chose that way you look at the specs of the normal list and choose one from there instead (but you need to be a more technically informed speaker builder to do it this way.)

Its marketing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDowning
    There isn't really a guitar or PA speaker. We just like to use the mechanical functions in the speaker to create a nuanced sound we like - similar to choosing wood for an acoustic instrument. Its about creating a 'signature' tone to the final sound of the amp.

Having a range of speakers called 'special guitar speakers' is all about making the unlimited variable, available in a marketing package that most players can understand. If you don't want to chose that way you look at the specs of the normal list and choose one from there instead (but you need to be a more technically informed speaker builder to do it this way.)

Its marketing.
    Agreed , also for info

A PA type speaker is generally trying to be Flat in response not to distort and be as efficient as possible

A Guitar type speaker tends to be designed to break-up nicely when overdriven
    and is more coloured in the 2-3 KHz region , and is also very efficient

(A Hi Fi speaker tries to be ruler flat not distort at all and is not too bothered about the efficiency)

A typical old skool clean Jazz sound , Joe Pass ,Kenny Burrell etc etc is quite a flat sound
    (this isn't a pejorative term ! ) so a PA speaker is appropriate , all IMO of course

But its all taste , use what you like

User Info Menu

That's the magic of an EV - neutral like a PA speaker but warm like a guitar one

User Info Menu

My goodness!

How clean and clear the sound was, even with it being a recording being played on a computer.

The bell-like tone was just beautiful. I have heard that about telecasters, that ability to give you that high-end "bell" like sound.

Forgive me, but I could not figure out which amp was playing at a give time. Am I the only one?

User Info Menu

Pingu - yes all those issues as well - agreed. Well said.

The 'bell like tone' comes from it being single coil I think. I have a Strat set up with Seymour Duncan APS IIs - those ones with Alnico 2 poles. They are very low impedience and sound very bell like, glassy as people say. Plan to put a pair in my Telecaster as well. Whatever it is about single coils you like - the APS IIs seem to be more so. I think its about low impedience rather than the sort of higher impedience versions created for blues players who want their PUs with more mids.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    My goodness!

How clean and clear the sound was, even with it being a recording being played on a computer.

The bell-like tone was just beautiful. I have heard that about telecasters, that ability to give you that high-end "bell" like sound.

Forgive me, but I could not figure out which amp was playing at a give time. Am I the only one?
    Actually the guitar used by that guy in the video is a Telecaster.
    If you listen carefully, or better using headphone, I think you'll be able to discern the two amps and also express a preference.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    That's the magic of an EV - neutral like a PA speaker but warm like a guitar one
    I had an EV15 in a 1 x 15" 90 litre Bass speaker I copied from an EV enclosure .... fabulous sound indeed

User Info Menu

Are EV speakers (for guitar) still being made? Everyone seems to have to scramble to find one.

User Info Menu

The EV-12L. All the others (unfortunately) are not...

User Info Menu

Hi

I was wondering how the Henriksen amps are at very low volumes.

Is there any audible hiss, hum, or fan noise?

Danielle

User Info Menu

Danielle,

my Henriksen 110er is a very quiet.
    Later models (like mine) have no fan. No noticeable hiss, No hum.
    but it sure does do a nice "pop" when I turn it off! LOL
    Great amp. Buy one

User Info Menu

Yes, I have both a 110 and a 112. They are extremely quiet and sound really good at very low volumes. Very linear response vis a vis the volume control as you turn it up, though slight changes in EQ are required, more due to room acoustics than electronics. They're not everyone's favorite, but I plan on keeping mine indefinitely. Mine have only a subtle 'pop' when I turn them off.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    Hi

I was wondering how the Henriksen amps are at very low volumes.

Is there any audible hiss, hum, or fan noise?

Danielle
    my JazzAmp12 came with a fan which made a slight rushing air sound at low volumes. I disconnected it and found the amp never gets hot so Peter removed it altogether and sealed up the fan hole. Amp is dead quiet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mikeSF
    my JazzAmp12 came with a fan which made a slight rushing air sound at low volumes. I disconnected it and found the amp never gets hot so Peter removed it altogether and sealed up the fan hole. Amp is dead quiet.
    Not at all sure that taking a fan out is a good idea. (You could have replaced the fan with one of those "silent" ones with the sculpted blades or one that runs at slower speeds) The fan is there for a reason and no manufacturer is going to spend production cost on a fan if it isn't needed. I have an old Ashdown bassamp that had no fan originally - but when I tried to drive an additional extension speaker the thermal cut-out kicked in meaning complete silence and no bass in the band for a couple of minutes. But like your amp, I had no sense that it was overheating or anything at all - no hot air coming from the vents - just straight to shutdown - the first time it happened it seemed like a complete mystery. (I have a switchable fan fitted now).

I would talk to Henriksen about this - you might be completely OK and the fan is there for playing in tropical climates - or you may be quietly frying your power amp chips and sometime in the future you will have a terminal failure and an expensive rebuild.

User Info Menu

Revived! This is the thread that will not go down...

Question. Used Henriksen 110 in excellent condition.
    Is it worth $725? I see that it is discontinued.
    I've seen some pros and cons but overall they seem to please most.
    I've never played on but obviously there are quite a few nice videos online.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by West LA Jazz

Question. Used Henriksen 110 in excellent condition.
    Is it worth $725? I see that it is discontinued.
    I've seen some pros and cons but overall they seem to please most.
    I've never played on but obviously there are quite a few nice videos online.

I haven't played mine in quite awhile due to moving a couple times and other diversions so I need to pull it out again. I remember I always liked the sound of it, convenience of being a combo. I have the ER model with switchable tweeter so I found it worked well with anything from solid body to acoustic guitar. I was lucky when I bought it, the store had both the 10" and 12" models and I tried both. I found the 10" more defined and 12" had more bass, but high end wasn't has clear.

It would be nice if someone had a old JazzAmp, new JazzAmp, and the Benedetto Carino version and do a comparison video.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by West LA Jazz
    Question: Used Henriksen 110 in excellent condition - is it worth $725? I see that it is discontinued...
    I think that price is about $100 too high, even if it comes with the tweeter and neat gig bag.

User Info Menu

The 310 is on sale for $899 direct from Henriksen. The 310 has FX loop & switchable tweeter.

$725 for a used 110 is a bit high.

User Info Menu

I think anyone considering one of these two models (110 or 112) should also consider the Alfresco which is an open-back 12 with Henriksen electronics. After about 2 years, I am still very happy with mine. I think they are only available from Sound Island Music (who are great to do business with by the way).

User Info Menu

I have an opprotunity to buy a Henriksen 112-ER that seem to be in great shape for 750 and may be able to get it for a little less.

I already have a 1980 Polytone Mini Brute IV.

Any insight into this amp would be helpful.

I play an Eastman 403 I bought in 2015 and maybe a Cordoba Classical/Electric.

User Info Menu

Love mine.

User Info Menu

I have the 110-ER and I love it - great sound, tone controls that work, very clean at high volumes, and the “tweeter” (the “ER” part) works well with my acoustic/electric nylon and steel-string guitars. Paid $1,100 for it new, with a gigbag, 6 years ago, never regretted it, it’s a great amp. My only complaint is that I don’t like the reverb, but I use a nice pedal for that.