The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

I recently discovered while playing fast or moderately paced runs from the low E to the high E string there is quite a lot of string noise as I pass from one string to the other.I would call myself an intermediate to advanced player with fair technique. The action on my guitar,a solid body is factory set(I know the higher the action the more you are likely to face this issue)Do most players mute the other strings(e.g. with the fleshy portion of their palm) they are not playing in order to limit this issue?Thanks for the input~

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi progjazzyrocker. I see you're relatively new, at 14 posts. So, welcome to the jazz guitar forum.

I really don't know how to say this without it being misinterpreted as arrogant . . . so please do not take it that way. But, you evaluate you level of playing as intermediate to advanced . . . yet, this seems to be a question that I would expect from a near beginner to guitar. If you're intermediate to advanced, I would think you should be more than capable of self correcting your technique. What am I missing here??

User Info Menu

Hey,thanks for ur reply.Well,I guess I haven't "arrived" technically,even at the stage of the game I am at currently.

User Info Menu

Good evening, progjazzyrocker (or may I call you Prog..?)...

I would think that, as you're in NYC, the simplest and fastest way forward would be to book a lesson or two from a decent teacher..? I'm not implying, of course, that you can't play; rather that a good teacher will be able to give qualified advice on whatever exactly is troubling you.
    Might be worth a try..? Hope this helps...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by progjazzyrocker
    Hey,thanks for ur reply.Well,I guess I haven't "arrived" technically,even at the stage of the game I am at currently.
    Ok . . . I'll just interpret that reply as New York. It's fair for me to do that because .. I'm a New Yorker too.

Why don't you help us, to help you, by further defining the string noise that's troubling you.?.? I see by your name that you're a "progressive jazzy rocker" . . and you're playing a solid body. I wonder if I would be correct in assuming that when you are playing with edge, over drive, effects . . etc., there is quite a bit of sustain and therefore the string noise wasn't as evident and bothersome . . . and now you've found the insane world of jazz . . seeking clean pure tone . . you are hearing the string noise???

Or, is it that when you are changing fingerings fron one string to the next, as you indicated, you are experiencing a pull off type of interference? Please further define the string noise.

User Info Menu

Can you post a video of yourself playing? That would help.

User Info Menu

You have to get unwanted sound under control by muting strings with both hands, and even then, you have to watch out on areas of the neck that are prone to easily sounded harmonics that can make sound even on muted strings. You will be held personally accountable for any sound that comes from your guitar, good or bad...
    Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 10-13-2012 at 10:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dad3353
    Good evening, progjazzyrocker (or may I call you Prog..?)...

I would think that, as you're in NYC, the simplest and fastest way forward would be to book a lesson or two from a decent teacher..? I'm not implying, of course, that you can't play; rather that a good teacher will be able to give qualified advice on whatever exactly is troubling you.
    Might be worth a try..? Hope this helps...

Thanks for ur comments,yeah there are great teachers here for sure.I just thought this is a "minor" technicality and could be eradicated.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    Ok . . . I'll just interpret that reply as New York. It's fair for me to do that because .. I'm a New Yorker too.

Why don't you help us, to help you, by further defining the string noise that's troubling you.?.? I see by your name that you're a "progressive jazzy rocker" . . and you're playing a solid body. I wonder if I would be correct in assuming that when you are playing with edge, over drive, effects . . etc., there is quite a bit of sustain and therefore the string noise wasn't as evident and bothersome . . . and now you've found the insane world of jazz . . seeking clean pure tone . . you are hearing the string noise???

Or, is it that when you are changing fingerings from one string to the next, as you indicated, you are experiencing a pull off type of interference? Please further define the string noise.

The last paragraph is what I initially try to articulate,rather poorly I might add.Yes,changing fingering from one string to the next is the issue.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Can you post a video of yourself playing? That would help.

I have a video but it's far from what I described,that was good suggestion though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    You have to get unwanted sound under control by muting strings with both hands, and even then, you have to watch out on areas of the neck that are prone to easily sounded harmonics that can make sound even on muted strings. You will be held personally accountable for any sound that comes from your guitar, good or bad...

This,after decades of playing was something I was not cognizant of.Its a difficult procedure,for me anyway to do that proficiently without getting that muted string effect.I see it's a matter of muting them lightly while still attempting to let the string ring out musically.Hard stuff~

User Info Menu

You're right. It is hard stuff and it's frustrating as hell as well especially when you've been playing for a while. You say that the problem comes up when you go from one string to another. Does it ever happen when you go up one string? What string gauge are you using? Is your action very low? It almost sounds like you're getting a pull off or hammer on effect as Patrick has mentioned. That's one of the problems I had when I used a light gauge. For clean tones, I couldn't control the strings too easily. Another thing that has been mentioned in some other threads on the site is a characteristic of a solid body. I used to play a Strat, Tele and Les Paul and the sustain they gave was incredible, a lot more than my hollow body archtops. Some of the members here have compared a solid body to a hollow body like an organ to a piano. The touch is much different when you play. I had more difficulty controlling my sound with the solid than the hollow which had less sustain. The solid was louder and noisier and I specifically had to do more muting with it. Does the same thing happen to you when you play a hollow body? Hopefully, this will help you get to the bottom of the problem.

User Info Menu

This is terrible but, if you want a "cheat" my son when he is sweeping(awesome shredder my son) puts a cloth hair band around the neck in the first fret as close to the nut as he can. Works like a charm)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ColinO
    This is terrible but, if you want a "cheat" my son when he is sweeping(awesome shredder my son) puts a cloth hair band around the neck in the first fret as close to the nut as he can. Works like a charm)
    Yes! Here's Herb Ellis using a George Van Eps string damper. I saw a youtube video of a studio musician using one when he had to do metal shred solos, to keep string noise under control.

Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 10-16-2012 at 06:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Yes! Here's Bucky P. using a George Van Eps string damper. I saw a youtube video of a studio musician using one when he had to do metal shred solos, to keep string noise under control.

I think that's Herb Ellis shredding on that one. Back in the day I saw a number of guys with the Van Eps strings mutes, but think I only one use one once.

User Info Menu

I damp with both hands any way I can. Using the left hand is much easier than damping a bass string next to the string you're playing with the right hand. I'll use the palm or thumb on my right hand. Tricky stuff. Keep at it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    I think that's Herb Ellis shredding on that one. Back in the day I saw a number of guys with the Van Eps strings mutes, but think I only one use one once.

I believe Jim Hall used on in the past as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag
    I damp with both hands any way I can. Using the left hand is much easier than damping a bass string next to the string you're playing with the right hand. I'll use the palm or thumb on my right hand. Tricky stuff. Keep at it.

I have experimented with the right exclusively,that seems to the be the"easiest" so far.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ColinO

Wow,very ingenious.Thats pretty neat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe
    You're right. It is hard stuff and it's frustrating as hell as well especially when you've been playing for a while. You say that the problem comes up when you go from one string to another. Does it ever happen when you go up one string? What string gauge are you using? Is your action very low? It almost sounds like you're getting a pull off or hammer on effect as Patrick has mentioned. That's one of the problems I had when I used a light gauge. For clean tones, I couldn't control the strings too easily. Another thing that has been mentioned in some other threads on the site is a characteristic of a solid body. I used to play a Strat, Tele and Les Paul and the sustain they gave was incredible, a lot more than my hollow body archtops. Some of the members here have compared a solid body to a hollow body like an organ to a piano. The touch is much different when you play. I had more difficulty controlling my sound with the solid than the hollow which had less sustain. The solid was louder and noisier and I specifically had to do more muting with it. Does the same thing happen to you when you play a hollow body? Hopefully, this will help you get to the bottom of the problem.

Using light gauge(0.09)strings;action is factory set,medium high I guess.It only occurs when I play from string to string.
    Your dead-on in your analysis,it's a solid-body and that's probably the main issue,the sustain,the added noise.
    I guess it's a discipline,string muting and its something I have to work on.

All the responses were incredibly helpful,much thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by progjazzyrocker
    Using light gauge(0.09)strings;action is factory set,medium high I guess.It only occurs when I play from string to string.
    Your dead-on in your analysis,it's a solid-body and that's probably the main issue,the sustain,the added noise.
    I guess it's a discipline,string muting and its something I have to work on.

All the responses were incredibly helpful,much thanks!
    I also used to play an ES 355 which had huge sustain. I put it away for a while to play an acoustic archtop with a floating pickup. When I went back to it, it was like trying to hold onto a bucking bronco with a greased saddle. It was hard to control the sustain along with lots of other noises. Same thing happened when I went to the Strat and Tele. You can either use some type of damper or just keep playing and working on the problem and after a while, you'll solve it. I'd also get some heavier strings, at least .011s. I tried the .009s and couldn't keep them in tune. I could barely feel them. It'll take some time with heavier strings but you'll get used to that also.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe
    I also used to play an ES 355 which had huge sustain. I put it away for a while to play an acoustic archtop with a floating pickup. When I went back to it, it was like trying to hold onto a bucking bronco with a greased saddle. It was hard to control the sustain along with lots of other noises. Same thing happened when I went to the Strat and Tele. You can either use some type of damper or just keep playing and working on the problem and after a while, you'll solve it. I'd also get some heavier strings, at least .011s. I tried the .009s and couldn't keep them in tune. I could barely feel them. It'll take some time with heavier strings but you'll get used to that also.

Thats sounds logical,thank you for that!