The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

After all that talk about dedicated jazz amplifiers I am very curiuous to try something new (.......it is much cheaper not to read any internet forums )

So I found locally a NOS Henriksen 112 (so new old stock, non sold store item).

Problem is, it is a 2006 model ? Is that very different than the current version ?
    (sound, speaker, headroom, whatever)

(in case it matters; I play an acoustic with floating DeArmond 1100, or an L5CES with PAF in the neck position (and sometimes a standard Tele). I now use a 63 Vibroverb ri with changed alnico spreakers. The vibroverb is a nice smaller 2x10 35 watts tube amp but very little possibilities to eq. Basically to get the sound I want I both bass and treble close to zero (there is no mid control) + a bit of reverb)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The major change they did was upgrading from 60w to 120w. Check if it's the 120w version, the 60w version is not enough for some gigs I guess...

How much are they asking?

If you like those Fender settings it means you like your sound closer to flat frequency as the Henriksen is. I think the amp could have some improvements but most people here love as it is. Can you try it?

User Info Menu

well I said locally but still a 4hr drive so I havent tried it. They give 48hr approval so I can always buy and return but rather like to have some info before going to all the trouble

price for one new here is 1000 euro so about 1300 $
    This one is 35% off because it is NOS

User Info Menu

I am in europe too If you can push it to 600€ (instead of 650€) I would say it's a nice price (if it's the 120w version)... it also depends on how expensive is the trip I guess.

User Info Menu

There is a post about an apparent transformer upgrade here ...

Henriksen Amps
    Last edited by Bill C; 10-05-2012 at 07:38 AM. Reason: typo

User Info Menu

I am not sure when exactly they changed. The older ones were actually named the JazzAmp 12 before they were changed to the JazzAmp 112. If I remember correctly, they still did not have a Reverb back in 2006. It's fine with me -- plus I've heard that the on-board reverb is not that great anyway. I also think that the newer ones are a bit quieter (because of the cooling fan on the older ones).

Both the 12 and 112 deliver 120 Watts as shipped with a 8 ohm speaker (the JazzAmp 10 was 60 Watts). They both can deliver 160 Watts at 4 ohm (requires an extension cabinet).

The 12 was advertised as weighting 29 pounds and the 112 at 32 pounds.

Minor cosmetic detail, but the configuration of the control panel on each model is not exactly the same.

User Info Menu

Yeah the henriksen could be better made electronically: no pop on / off and less prone to catch interference from phones and all that...

User Info Menu

I should add: I have the older one, the JazzAmp 12, and I am very happy with it. Great sounding amp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fws6
    ....I now use a 63 Vibroverb ri with changed alnico spreakers. The vibroverb is a nice smaller 2x10 35 watts tube amp but very little possibilities to eq. Basically to get the sound I want I both bass and treble close to zero (there is no mid control) + a bit of reverb)
    It is the amp that you've got that actually intrigues me.
    It is original or a reissue?
    I can't understand why you should close to zero bass and treble.
    And why did you change the speaker? Could it be that is the cause that makes you shut off bas and treble?

User Info Menu

I guess that you want a midrange prominent jazz sound, rolled off the top, with a less ponderous bass. I don't know if any Henriksen will warm the cockles of your heart. Gimme your DeArmond 1100 and I will give you my answer

Seriously, I don't think the Henriksen will be very satisfying tone-wise after your Vibroverb RI. I have been thinking about this issue lately and I am intrigued by the Acoustic Image coupled with either the Buscarino Chameleon or Raezer's Edge. Euro580 will buy you an Acoustic Image Clarus 1-channel S4, I believe. It weighs 4 pounds and will not cost much to ship. Plug it into your current Alnico speakers in the VibroVerb RI and you could have something that will tide you over for a clean tone. In a pinch you could also patch the tube preamp section of the VibroVerb (the VibroVerb has a line-out or effects send/return loop, I hope) into the AI Clarus S4 power section or the preamp section of the AI into the power amp section of the Vibroverb RI.

Just throwing it out there. How about getting an EQ box like a Fromel Shape pedal? Closer to Europe, in the UK, there is also the Ameson RS Jazz 90w head you could check out: MAJ Electronic. I think it is a better option than a 2006 NOS Henriksen.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175
    Answer: reissue. I think that's the meaning of the "ri" you wrote.

At the FAQ section of Headstrong amplifiers you can find this interesting
    explanations regarding the difference between alnico and ceramic magnet speakers:

"What the tonal differences between the Alnico and the Ceramic magnets?

To my ears in the two amps we offer, the main difference comes down to low volume nuances vs. bottom end clarity at mid to upper volume levels.

The Alnico is a bit sweeter at lower to mid volumes but tends to flatten out in the bottom end response a bit early...If you are using LP/335/etc and want a clean Jazz sound this is NOT the speaker for you. I find the Alnico speakers to suit the 50's era blues which few guys play. It also works well for low volume home use and recording sessions. Not so good for a gigging amp in the LK as it is already fighting an uphill battle at 12 watts.....

The ceramic speakers are more of a 60’s blues/rock/funk sound...Brighter, cleaner, tighter and the bottom end and overall louder speakers.

If you are a Jazz guy 95% of the time this id the speaker for you...Also anyone into Clapton/Hendrix on up can count on a better tone with the ceramic...If you use pedals for the majority of your boost or OD, the Ceramic is the way to go. I generally ship at least 80% of the amps out of here with the ceramic magnet speaker."

User Info Menu

Thanks for some very good info so far !!!!! Keep em coming !!!!!!

@ Eddie Lang

it is the top panel indeed, model 12, no reverb, 6 year old NOS model that was demo-ed but never sold. does that have a fan ?? I just removed all of the fans from my PC and replaced with fanless hardware because the constant buzz drive me nuts.

@ Plug it into your current Alnico speakers in the VibroVerb

Can I use another head with those ? never thought of that...

@ the VibroVerb has a line-out or effects send/return loop, I hope

Nope, they didnt think of that in 63 (this is a reissue indeed but still)

@ Jazz 175

I bought the amp 10 years ago already with the original oxford speakers replaced with Jensen P10R Alnico Vintage 10" . I seriously thought that was a good thing, and what allthe classic Fender amps have. So what could I better put in for jazzy tone ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    I guess that you want a midrange prominent jazz sound, rolled off the top, with a less ponderous bass. I don't know if any Henriksen will warm the cockles of your heart. Gimme your DeArmond 1100 and I will give you my answer

Seriously, I don't think the Henriksen will be very satisfying tone-wise after your Vibroverb RI. I have been thinking about this issue lately and I am intrigued by the Acoustic Image coupled with either the Buscarino Chameleon or Raezer's Edge. Euro580 will buy you an Acoustic Image Clarus 1-channel S4, I believe. It weighs 4 pounds and will not cost much to ship. Plug it into your current Alnico speakers in the VibroVerb RI and you could have something that will tide you over for a clean tone. In a pinch you could also patch the tube preamp section of the VibroVerb (the VibroVerb has a line-out or effects send/return loop, I hope) into the AI Clarus S4 power section or the preamp section of the AI into the power amp section of the Vibroverb RI.

Just throwing it out there. How about getting an EQ box like a Fromel Shape pedal? Closer to Europe, in the UK, there is also the Ameson RS Jazz 90w head you could check out: MAJ Electronic. I think it is a better option than a 2006 NOS Henriksen.
    Fromel is a great eq... in UK check mambo amps, really good! For me much better than a NOS Henriksen and in the same price league.

You can buy an head and plug it to the Vibro if you don't leave the house... get a mambo head for that!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175
    It is the amp that you've got that actually intrigues me.
    I can't understand why you should close to zero bass and treble.
    And why did you change the speaker? Could it be that is the cause that makes you shut off bas and treble?
    Peter Bernstein also uses those settings a lot... it makes your fender closer to flat frequency which jazzers usually like.

User Info Menu

Back to the original post for a second...something to be aware of is that older Jazzamp models can hum quite intrusively. The transformer reference above posted by Bill C ( and pasted from Hendriksen themselves I guess ) doesn't mention the fact that the older 120W boards also had an earthing ( grounding) issue which caused the hum. Fortunately there's a simple fix for it that can be done without the need for a new transformer.
    I have the diagram somewhere if anyone needs it, supplied by Peter H who was very helpful. Also, a diagram to fix the loud 'pop'.
    Something to bear in mind if considering an older model...

User Info Menu

Chris I am in interested in that, when you have the time e-mail me please!

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Thanks for some very good info so far !!!!! Keep em coming !!!!!!

@ Eddie Lang

it is the top panel indeed, model 12, no reverb, 6 year old NOS model that was demo-ed but never sold. does that have a fan ?? I just removed all of the fans from my PC and replaced with fanless hardware because the constant buzz drive me nuts.
    There is a fan. I can hear it when I practice at low volume in my living room (about like a laptop fan), but I don't hear it anymore as soon as I turn the volume up even just a bit.

For what it's worth, I never had any hum problem. Is it an issue in Europe because of the difference in the outlets?

It does the big POP when I turn it off -- at least it did until started using a power bar all the time and now I first turn off the bar before I switch off the amp and the problem does not exist anymore...

User Info Menu

Have you considered instead a good eq pedal ? They can make siignificant changes to the sound of the amp , for much less money .

User Info Menu

Also don't be affraid of weird settings. If that one (bass and treble almost on zero) is working for you... For the record the all-fancy eq of the henriksen is very ineffective to me.

Can you tame the bass and treble? If so forget the fromel because it's only good for that. For shaping the mids get something like an Empress Para EQ - big learning curve and big rewards in the end.

User Info Menu

what strikes me the most , after all the positive talk on Henriksen amps on this board over the last years , still noone in this thread answered a straight 'yes you should buy it'.... ???

better speakers
    other heads
    buy an eq

but indeed if this is an old model + noise at euro voltage + fan on board I'd rather not and mess about with my vibroverb a bit more

thanks everyone for all your input !!

User Info Menu

Straight answer is NO

User Info Menu

what strikes me the most , after all the positive talk on Henriksen amps on this board over the last years , still noone in this thread answered a straight 'yes you should buy it'.... ???

better speakers
    other heads
    buy an eq

but indeed if this is an old model + noise at euro voltage + fan on board I'd rather not and mess about with my vibroverb a bit more

thanks everyone for all your input !!
    Well the only guy who can really give a straight answer is... you. And also plenty of forum members who love the amp as it is didn't chimed in... plenty of people here would say "go for it", I am sure.

No product is perfect and people tried to warn you about potential problems with the Henriksen... and since 2006 you have new products that are (to me) better than the Henriksen like the Mambo. And a new amp doesn't solve your need for more eq capabalities with your current amp, an eq pedal does...

So... No is my straight answer too

User Info Menu

so anyway I took the advice told the shop I wasnt buying it...

@ Jazz 175 's remarks of my speakers being too 'colored' and I better try with some ceramic speaker to get a more bright and even response I am still confused. The Jensen website sais the Alnico is also suitable for jazzy type of sounds especially at home / recording volume levls (which is what I mainly do; I did perform in various forms for 15 years but not currently)

I wondered can you also mix and match ie have a alnico and a ceramic speaker in a 2x10 amp like the vibroverb

@ Jorge's reamrk I better try an eq first; what would be a suitable eq ? I am not merely concerned with the cheapest option, but DEAD QUIET and at least bit user friedly would be nice. Are there EQs that have 'memory' for different settings so that I can preset the eq for different guitars. I have guitars with top mounted PAF, floating dearmond, floating Johnny Smith and also a Tele... so I should be able to fix settings for each at the sounds I like

(not that I necessarily expect or even would want them to sound the same)

User Info Menu

Here's one example of a guy using an alnico speaker with a great jazz sound so... I don't think it's the speakers.

Exactly what sound do you want to take out of the vibroverb you can't? Less bass, less treble, shaping mids?

User Info Menu

Hi fws6,
    regarding your speaker, I never said it is not suitable to play jazz, I just posted that excerpt from the Headstrong website where I remembered the builder was making a distinction between alnico speakers and ceramic ones. After all he was referring to guitars like Les Paul or 335 and his suggestion was : in this case, if you want a clean sound, this (the alnico speaker) is not the speaker for you.

So my question is
    Which guitars do you usually play with the amp?

Also, I was simply surprised by your setting of almost closing to zero bass and treble. The reason is that I use a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue, original with its ceramic C12K Jensen speaker and my settings
    are usually both trebles and bass around 5.
    Most of the times, both at 5.