The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Hi all,

I caught a couple of videos on the Internet, and I'm wondering if anyone has owned or played one, and what are your thoughts.
    They sound great to me!

Thx for any info

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Sharon,
    I haven't played one, but have spoken with Curtis a few times, and also Jody Fisher (who has checked them out, but still has his Kleins). He's one of the luthiers I always mention when someone is considering an ergonomic, klein-style guitar -- along with Forshage and Canton, both who are masters in this area.

Are you interested in coming to the dark side??

Marc

Ha Ha.......Yes Marc, I am definitely hitting the bottom with conventional guitars. I have a real nice 335 that could probably help me finance the endeavor.

I actually contacted the last dealer you recommended from Las Vegas, but he never got back to me after our initial phone conversation. Probably just as well. He spent a lot of time complaining about not enough business, etc. I told him that if I liked the guitar that I would be sure to post about it on this forum.....especially since it was at a really reasonable price.

I haven't checked out Cantons, but I'll definitely check them out. The Forshages were quite lovely as I recall, but also extremely expensive.

Anyhow.....yeah, I'm definitely open to any advice about ergos, and I wish I had one right now,

All the best to you,

Sharon

User Info Menu

Cool.
    Oh yeah, Victor Baker has been making a few lately, too -- you can see them on his "blog."

"Expensive" is a relative term, of course, but sure, most will be in the $3000+ range, and they're rarely on the "used" market ...

Marc

User Info Menu

I suspect there's going to be a bunch of new ones entering the market pretty soon. Hipshot has brought out a version of the needed hardware for a hardtail version recently.
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 09-16-2012 at 09:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I suspect there's going to be a bunch of new ones entering the market pretty soon. Hipshot has brought ought a version of the needed hardware for a hardtail version recently.
    Hmm, interesting. THanks, Jim!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Hmm, interesting. THanks, Jim!
    I found the link of the guitar using the prototype hardware.

Hufschmid Guitars Switzerland - Headless

I'm supposed to talk to them about it tomorrow but I'm not sure I have that much energy left to consider another new build path. A big part of my brain says I'd rather just be playing my guitar.

Those are some incredible looking guitars. I'll be looking forward to seeing some reviews!

User Info Menu

I found the link of the guitar using the prototype hardware.

Hufschmid Guitars Switzerland - Headless

I'm supposed to talk to them about it tomorrow but I'm not sure I have that much energy left to consider another new build path. A big part of my brain says I'd rather just be playing my guitar.
    Thanks again, Jim.

Headless, yes, but they don't appear to be an ergo design in the klein "tradition."

User Info Menu

...A big part of my brain says I'd rather just be playing my guitar.
    +1!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Thanks again, Jim.

Headless, yes, but they don't appear to be an ergo design in the klein "tradition."
    No. They just happen to be the first guitars produced with the hardware and I posted the link more to show you the hardware than the guitar.

User Info Menu

my friend has one and it's a beautiful instrument. It's not as bright as a klein, also this particular one is semi hollow. (no f holes) He had it made with custom lindy fralin pups and the neck and the body is a single piece of mahogany.

Thx very much for your feedback itsall4you. It's much appreciated.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by srlank
    Thx very much for your feedback itsall4you. It's much appreciated.
    So, Sharon, are you going to go for it?!

Hey Marc,

I am definitely serious about an ergo, but it is going to take a little time to get the cash. I took my Gibson 335 in to get it appraised, and am still waiting on the information. It appears to be somewhat of a later model and not worth as much as I had hoped. Also the headstock was changed with Schaller tuning pegs. I'm still waiting to hear back from my guitar tech ('Doc' at 'The Guitar Doctor' in Fountain Valley)

Also....I am checking out the Rick Canton models, and I am in love!

Anyone have a comparison of the Curtis vs Canton??
    Last edited by srlank; 10-02-2012 at 07:35 AM.

User Info Menu

Hey Marc,

I am definitely serious about an ergo, but it is going to take a little time to get the cash.

Also....I am checking out the Rick Canton models, and I am in love!

Anyone have a comparison of the Curtis vs Canton??
    Hmm, I'd be surprised if someone has tried out both of those models ...

The Canton's are definitely sweet, that's for sure. I'm guessing from other info, however, that his wait list is about 2 years or more, which is plenty of time to get the cash together after you make a deposit. Curtis' wait list is much shorter, as is Baker's, so that's another consideration. I'm not sure what Forshage's wait time is these days.

You'd be happy with any of these four guitars, and they're about the same price range.

Thx for the feedback Marc. I didn't realize that there would be such a long wait for the Canton. It's too bad, but I'm going to want something considerably before then. What I'm looking for is comfort, so if any of these will accommodate me, I'll take a look and see which can deliver the fastest.....given that the average price is 3-4 thousand.

All the best,

Sharon

Btw, which one do you have? Does your son have one as well?

User Info Menu

I've played both a Curtis and a Canton (it was actually Tim Miller's very own when he was at my school).

To me Curtis did not have as much of a 'headless' sound as the Canton and it sounded more like a semi-hollow body guitar. (Not the 335 type though, something like the Eastman ElRey.)

Canton to me was more acoustic the sound was kind of in between steel string guitar and nylon string guitar but also worked with effects incredibly well. (I didn't get to use effects on the guitar, but I'm judging from Tim Miller's performance that night)

I have to run to class now, maybe I can answer more questions later

Thx itsall4you. I love the sound of a 335, and perhaps it's a bit more versatile. Still the Canton that Tim Miller plays is incredible! (Besides his amazing playing, it has such a beautiful tone)

User Info Menu

Thx itsall4you. I love the sound of a 335, and perhaps it's a bit more versatile. Still the Canton that Tim Miller plays is incredible! (Besides his amazing playing, it has such a beautiful tone)
    You know, the majority of his tone is actually from his hands.

He went to the same school I go to about 15 years ago there's stories of how he could make any guitar sound like it's out of this world if you give him 10 minutes. (my teacher from last semester was a good friend of Tim's while he was at the school)

During my lesson with Tim, we swapped guitars for a minute and he found something in my guitar that I could never get out of it. I learnt more from watching/hearing him play in my lesson than what he actually taught me in the lesson.

Having said this, the Canton is an amazing instrument. I actually think the Canton is MORE versatile than a 335 tonally. It is just a really open instrument with a huge spectrum of sound. But Tim achieves his sound with a combination of having a great instrument, using technology extremely well and his touch.

Awesome itsall4you that you are actually taking lessons from him, and thx for the feedback. You must be having a blast at a school like that, although I can imagine that it could get stressful.

For your own taste, did you like the sound of the Curtis when you played it?

User Info Menu

The lesson was an one-off thing when he was doing a clinic at my school. I'd love to stay at Boston in the summer next year or the year after to take some lessons with Tim (and other wonderful musicians in the area).

The Curtis is a really nice instrument, it is definitely one of the nicer guitars that I've played. It is a very warm sounding instrument. (The guitar is a single piece of mahogany minus the fretboard, this was a custom order so it cost considerably more than the base price) One thing that struck me was that it had a huge dynamic range and when you play hard you get a super full sound. (at the range where my guitar would fret out)

So the short answer is, yes I love the Curtis and wish I could afford one . I emailed Chris Forshage recently to build a headless guitar, I'm still waiting on the reply.

Thx itsall4you. Heck yeah, that sounds like a fantastic idea....hanging out in Boston for a couple of months and taking lessons.

Your review of the Curtis's dynamic range is a big plus, and I'm glad you also discussed some of the customized features that made up that particular guitar.

Btw, I also found Chris difficult to reach, and so I have been looking for alternatives. It appears that there are some good ones available.

User Info Menu

Great info, thanks "itsall!"

[Sharon, I PM'd you]

Marc

Ahhh....those Victor Baker models look nice! I also see that he's in New York, which is where I'll be in November for a conference! This could be the one! LOL