The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 32

User Info Menu

Generally I take each guitar in for a setup and fresh strings but I'll never learn to do a string install if I don't ask. So for all those non techno wizards out there:

How does one properly change their strings?

I snapped the G string today putting tension back on a recent arrival, and I don't want to wait around for 3 days until my luthier can get to a full setup...I just want to place a fresh set of D'Addario 11 flat's on the guitar because I just happen to have a new spare set laying around the house.

Thanks in advance!

Oh', and remember you're talking a complete non mechanically minded newb' through changing their strings. This should be fun.
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 08-23-2012 at 09:23 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

[quote=2bornot2bop;250245]Generally I take each guitar in for a setup and fresh strings but I'll never learn to do a string install if I don't ask. So for all those non techno wizards out there:

At this stage of your life, if you have to ask . . . just keep taking it to you favorite tech. Bull shit yourself into believeing that you're too important to change you own strings. Let someone else do it for you. That's what I do!! It feels great man! I really feel important.

[quote=Patrick2;250253]
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Generally I take each guitar in for a setup and fresh strings but I'll never learn to do a string install if I don't ask. So for all those non techno wizards out there:

At this stage of your life, if you have to ask . . . just keep taking it to you favorite tech. Bull shit yourself into believeing that you're too important to change you own strings. Let someone else do it for you. That's what I do!! It feels great man! I really feel important.
    Ordinarily I'd simply pay the man, since for $50 bucks it's not worth it for me to do a setup...the downside to that is when you pop a string, and you simply want to sample a new arrival without waiting 3 days. My luthier stays bizzy!

I replaced the G string that popped, but now that I have I'd just as soon change the complete set rather than a single string. I'd prefer learning how to properly loop the strings at the top of the tuning peg for somehow the wind I have at the top isn't looking quite right.

User Info Menu

It's one of those things that's easier to show than write a novel trying to explain. You must know another guitar player who can show you.

User Info Menu

I think it would be best if you asked your luthier to show you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop

I snapped the G string today putting tension back on a recent arrival, and I don't want to wait around for 3 days until my luthier can get to a full setup...I just want to place a fresh set of D'Addario 11 flat's on the guitar because I just happen to have a new spare set laying around the house.

Thanks in advance!

Oh', and remember you're talking a complete non mechanically minded newb' through changing their strings. This should be fun.
    Yeah . . . FrankyNoTone is right. Hard to explain. The key thing you have to remember is . . . . through the hole.. . under the string . . . over the top . . . pull it taught. But, unless you see it while it's explained to you . .. it makes no sense at all.

User Info Menu

Browse youtube. There's a video there that explains the "loop under and over" method. I know because I watched.

User Info Menu

Here's a pretty good guide with visuals.

How To String A Guitar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Here's a pretty good guide with visuals.

How To String A Guitar
    +1 on these instructions.

Thanks to all for the input. Well, I'm proud to say I've just performed my first string change. It was much easier than I anticipated.

She could still use a proper setup, but at least I was able to remove some worn out rounds and install a pair of fresh flats to play her for a few days until I take her in for a proper setup.

Thanks to everyone for the assist!

User Info Menu

A good setup is key to a great playing guitar... but it will not fix the funny looking headstock :/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SamBooka
    A good setup is key to a great playing guitar... but it will not fix the funny looking headstock :/
    Wut-chu talkin' bout Booka???

User Info Menu

[2bop] >>> I'm proud to say I've just performed my first string change.

Congratulations. Now I assume you will move on to complete setups, home winemaking, and maybe an appendectomy or two in the garage if needed.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by PTChristopher
    [2bop] >>> I'm proud to say I've just performed my first string change.

Congratulations. Now I assume you will move on to complete setups, home winemaking, and maybe an appendectomy or two in the garage if needed.

Chris
    Yes, well I dropped her off today for a setup and another string change...I only had 11's on hand, and those were too light for me but they got me through the night and allowed me to see the guitar's promise...I'm hopeful its potential will become better with a pro setup...but it's nice to now know that I can do a string install so I can sample other strings I've been curious about.

Winemaking? But I don't drink. However, buying 6 archtops in as many weeks I'd be better off to study guitar making for least that way I'd be forced to focus on 1 guitar at a time...well, it was a thought!

User Info Menu

Hey 2bornot2bop, I guess the Golden Eagle has won your heart. I see the D'A on Ebay. I thought for sure you'd keep her the way you say she outperformed the others electrically. Wish I could bid on her,timing is everything. Good luck with the Eagle,she's a beauty.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archtop Guy
    Hey 2bornot2bop, I guess the Golden Eagle has won your heart. I see the D'A on Ebay. I thought for sure you'd keep her the way you say she outperformed the others electrically. Wish I could bid on her,timing is everything. Good luck with the Eagle,she's a beauty.
    Hey brother!

Nice find...i'm putting 4 guitars up for sale and with any luck they'll all sell and I'll buy my first L5...it's what I've always wanted, so I decided it's time to stop beating around the bush and take the plunge. But you're right, if I chose to keep one it would have been the Vestax...the thing's too good not to...but in the end it's not an L5.

I've got a brand new Buscarino ebony tailpiece that came with the NYL-2 if you know anyone who needs one.

User Info Menu

How can anybody who plays guitar not know how to change strings???? How long have you been bringing your guitar to a luthier for changing strings????

Quote Originally Posted by JakeAcci
    How can anybody who plays guitar not know how to change strings???? How long have you been bringing your guitar to a luthier for changing strings????
    I'm a piano player new to guitars 18 months ago...decided I'm not getting any younger and if I was ever going to learn guitar now's the time.

I've probably had 15 guitars setup in that time...I've lost count, it's been too many...but my luthier is happy...besides, if you're not qualified to evaluate a guitars condition you pay someone who is...the strings are a minimal cost to any setup, so since I've always had every guitar setup to adjust the action as I prefer it changing strings has never been an issue until one popped on a guitar that arrived y'day.

Some of us haven't kept a guitar long enough that warranted changing their strings. I was once the same way with cars too. If you only knew.

User Info Menu

Oh ok that makes a lot of sense. For some reason I just assumed you had been playing guitar for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeAcci
    Oh ok that makes a lot of sense. For some reason I just assumed you had been playing guitar for many years.
    It's called procrastination!

User Info Menu

A few more times, you might end up enjoying it!

I like a good restring, at least on a guitar that isn't a PITA to change strings on...guitar/player bonding time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin' Brian
    Hey man . . . I'm not at all familiar with that guitar brand . . . and I don't want to start a shit storm here . . . but, I can easily see that head stock on a Golden Eagle or a Super Eagle. In fact, there were two Heritages build with head stocks somewhat similar to this one. They were both for sale, on consignment up at Golden Age Guitars about two years ago. Custom ordered . . the original owner supplied Heritage with the template. It was a GE and a SE.

User Info Menu

Changing strings is part of the bonding process with your guitar. Why do you think some guys refer to their guitars as "she". It doesn't take long to learn and fresh strings always sound so good.

Also setups I usually only get one once I decide I like a guitar and want to keep it. After that a minor tweak now and then after that only setup is usually part of having a repair or mod' done. Guitars are a lot less expensive and easier to maintain than a piano.

User Info Menu

Changing guitar strings is not unlike packing a parachute. If you're a complete beginner, it's perfectly understandable that you prefer someone else to do it, but when you have some experience, you would really rather do it yourself. When you have more experience, people will look at you oddly if you are still having someone else do it for you, because that would make them feel really insecure.