The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32
    Yes, but what do YOU say about the NO LOOP vs. the LOOP methods. So far I've learned there are 2 schools of separate thought on whether to loop or not to loop.

I used this no loop method, which is what my local luthier uses. No, this isn't my luthier but the method is the same:

I've also observed a loop method applied by archtop.com's luthier, whom I use whenever I'm in the mood to battle north Seattle traffic.

And what do you do when you've received a guitar that has been accustomed to 10's or 11's and you want to string her with 14 flats...instant setup candidate right? So, if you're going for heavier strings on a guitar that's not had 'em you're still having to take in the guitar for a setup and string job R U not?
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 08-25-2012 at 01:56 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    A few more times, you might end up enjoying it!

I like a good restring, at least on a guitar that isn't a PITA to change strings on...guitar/player bonding time.
    I truly enjoyed it. I left all the strings on and simply changed one string at a time to lessen the impact on the neck adjustment. Was I correct in doing that or does it really matter all that much? And what product do I need to have on hand to lube-clean the ebony finger boards to make them appear, well, black and lubed as opposed to anemic and thirsty?
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 08-25-2012 at 02:02 PM.

User Info Menu

On the looping back so string hold its self down is how I've been doing it for ages for myself and when roadie for others. BUT now playing Jazz all the time and dealing with larger and/or flatwound strings things are different. These days the size of the string determines if I loop or not. A big low-E creates too big a bump and reduces the number of winds around the tuner post I can get (I like to try and get three winds around the post.) So now I typically don't loop E, A, and sometimes D, but still loop on G, B, and high E.

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    On the looping back so string hold its self down is how I've been doing it for ages for myself and when roadie for others. BUT now playing Jazz all the time and dealing with larger and/or flatwound strings things are different. These days the size of the string determines if I loop or not. A big low-E creates too big a bump and reduces the number of winds around the tuner post I can get (I like to try and get three winds around the post.) So now I typically don't loop E, A, and sometimes D, but still loop on G, B, and high E.
    Oh, so you apply a half loop technique for archtops. Very interesting...glad I asked. I'm learning something new here ev'day!

User Info Menu

Quite a few things in this thread that I agree with . . but, also some things I disagree with. There seems to be a general consensus that if you have been playing a guitar for many years, you should know how to change your own strings and that you have a responsibility to do so. There also seems to be quite a few who think that doing your own string changes will help you bond with the guitar. I think that those who have posted these opinions are probably expressing more of their own feeling than reality.

I've been playing guitar, off and on, for some 35 or 36 years. I know how to change strings, quickly . . correctly and effectively. I don't want to do it anymore . . . ever again!! When I was gigging, I did all of my own string changes and minor set ups. However, now . . . I choose not to do it. I do not like changing strings. In fact, I hate it. I find that I bond with my guitars just fine, having someone else do the tech work on them now. It would take me far longer to properly "set up shop" for a string change . . . and then to clean up afterwards . . than it would to actually change the strings. I don't have an appropriate work bench, neck stand, needle nose snippers .. . nothing!! I own a screw driver (slotted head) and a hammer. Both are rusty. Aside from that, with my ADD affliction . . . I would get half way through the set up . . become impatient and frustrated . . . then, go look for the rusty hammer. I know my limitations.

When I feel a guitar is ready for a string change . . . and with D'Addario Chromes and TI George Bensons, that isn't too often . . I put the guitar in it's case, drive to Union City, Pastore's Music . . set the case down near Ronaldo's work bench . . . and then we chat. We talk about his childhood days working as an apprentice under a master luthier in a little town in Italy. We talk about how they would take 3 hour lunches, go down to the beaches and catch fish and bring it home to prepare it for lunch. We talk about how many original D'Angelicos he had to re-do the binding on due to shrinkage and breakage. We talk about what Rush Limbaugh had to say in the previous day's monologue. We talk about our grand children. Then, at some point, he puts the completed guitar in my hands, completed with a string change, truss rod tweak if necessary, intonation, finger board conditioning, tightening of the screws on the tuners, checking the pots for noise (dirt) . . . everything. Then, he plugs it into into his little 50+ year old shop amp and says, with his musical Italian accent . . . . Pat . . see if it's OK. When I'm satisfied, he lightly polishes it and puts it back in my case. He even vacuums out the case if it needs it!!! I don't dare offend him by asking . . . "how much do I owe you?" I pay Jerry Pastore for the strings (but, I usually beat him for a half dozen or so picks, LOLOL) and I usually stop by a week or so later with a bottle of fine wine for Ronaldo. Ronaldo is quite secure, financially, he doesn't need my money . . . I'd trade portfolios with him in a NY minute!!

One time, when I went in for a string change, Julio Fernandez, guitar player with Spyro Gyra stopped up to have his strings changed and a similar service/set up . . . (Ronaldo has built quite a few guitars for Julio . . teles and strats. He lives about 10 minutes away from Pastore's) . . we all had a wonderful conversation.

Now, given my lack of patience, intollerance for any and all tedious tasks . . and the level of anger and frustration such tasks bring me . . . How could I possibly choose to change my own strings . . and give up such joyous times with Ronaldo? (Not to mention, that when he's done with my guitar . . . it's much better than I could have done it anyway.)
    Last edited by Patrick2; 08-25-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    Quite a few things in this thread that I agree with . . but, also some things I disagree with. There seems to be a general consensus that if you have been playing a guitar for many years, you should know how to change your own strings and that you have a responsibility to do so. There also seems to be quite a few who think that doing your own string changes will help you bond with the guitar. I think that those who have posted these opinions are probably expressing more of their own feeling than reality.

I've been playing guitar, off and on, for some 35 or 36 years. I know how to change strings, quickly . . correctly and effectively. I don't want to do it anymore . . . ever again!! When I was gigging, I did all of my own string changes and minor set ups. However, now . . . I choose not to do it. I do not like changing strings. In fact, I hate it. I find that I bond with my guitars just fine, having someone else do the tech work on them now. It would take me far longer to properly "set up shop" for a string change . . . and then to clean up afterwards . . than it would to actually change the strings. I don't have an appropriate work bench, neck stand, needle nose snippers .. . nothing!! I own a screw driver (slotted head) and a hammer. Both are rusty. Aside from that, with my ADD affliction . . . I would get half way through the set up . . become impatient and frustrated . . . then, go look for the rusty hammer. I know my limitations.

When I feel a guitar is ready for a string change . . . and with D'Addario Chromes and TI George Bensons, that isn't too often . . I put the guitar in it's case, drive to Union City, Pastore's Music . . set the case down near Ronaldo's work bench . . . and then we chat. We talk about his childhood days working as an apprentice under a master luthier in a little town in Italy. We talk about how they would take 3 hour lunches, go down to the beaches and catch fish and bring it home to prepare it for lunch. We talk about how many original D'Angelicos he had to re-do the binding on due to shrinkage and breakage. We talk about what Rush Limbaugh had to say in the previous day's monologue. We talk about our grand children. Then, at some point, he puts the completed guitar in my hands, completed with a string change, truss rod tweak if necessary, intonation, finger board conditioning, tightening of the screws on the tuners, checking the pots for noise (dirt) . . . everything. Then, he plugs it into into his little 50+ year old shop amp and says, with his musical Italian accent . . . . Pat . . see if it's OK. When I'm satisfied, he lightly polishes it and puts it back in my case. He even vacuums out the case if it needs it!!! I don't dare offend him by asking . . . "how much do I owe you?" I pay Jerry Pastore for the strings (but, I usually beat him for a half dozen or so picks, LOLOL) and I usually stop by a week or so later with a bottle of fine wine for Ronaldo. Ronaldo is quite secure, financially, he doesn't need my money . . . I'd trade protfolios with him in a NY minute!!

One time, when I went in for a string change, Julio Fernandez, guitar player with Spyro Gyra stopped up to have his strings changed and a similar service/set up . . . (Ronaldo has built quite a few guitars for Julio . . teles and strats. He lives about 10 minutes away from Pastore's) . . we all had a wonderful conversation.

Now, given my lack of patience, intollerance for any and all tedious tasks . . and the level of anger and frustration such tasks bring me . . . How could I possibly choose to change my own strings . . and give up such joyous times with Ronaldo? (Not to mention, that when he's done with my guitar . . . it's much better than I could have done it anyway.)
    Great story...had me walkin' the beach lookin' at Italian babes as you two fished.

That's it, bait Patrick into tellin' a story any day of the week...Works 4 me.

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    Guitars are a lot less expensive and easier to maintain than a piano.
    You've got that right. 4 times a year you're shelling out a hundred bucks a pop just for a tuning but no string changes...but of course in that tuning they're voicing the hammers and making other adjustments as well.

I got smart and bought a synthetsizer...she's always in tune and does tricks no piano will ever do...great rhythm sections too! Yamaha S90ES -

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 08-25-2012 at 04:32 PM.