The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 52

User Info Menu

I like Eastmans, but has anybody compared them with Peerless and Palin?
    Thanks
    JIm

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by river251
    I like Eastmans, but has anybody compared them with Peerless and Palin?
    Thanks
    JIm
    I take it you've been to that Guitars'nJazz site.
    They have a NICE selection of instruments. I, too, am curious about the Palin instruments. I can't seem to find anything about 'em online, but they look very nice. I do like the look and variety Eastman offers, but i'm wary of non-Gibson guitars as there aren't as well-known or widely available. To try one for myself, i'd have to travel all the way to NJ.

User Info Menu

Yes, that's exactly what prompted my question.

However, Eastman guitars are sold in many places. I think they just have a monopoly on the Palin and Peerless.

I have seen and played Eastman guitars and in my opinion they are excellent. Many pros use them.

Jim

User Info Menu

I love my Eastman 880 Pisano. I've put many,many hours of pro gigging on it and I still look forward to playing the gig with it. I've owned Gibson, Heritage, a custom Mapson, Epi's etc and I can truly say the Pisano just works for me. You don't say where you are located, however there is a small store in East Pasadena, CA I think called Red Zone guitars on Colorado that has Pearless and Eastman in stock. Can't help you with the Palen, however they seem to be in the upper price range.

User Info Menu

Thanks. I believe you on the 880.

Pasadena is lots closer than that Jersey place, but still 12 hours away, I'm in New Mexico. There is an Eastman Dealer in Albuquerque.

I guess Palins are luthier guitars, not produced by a company in China.

Really would love to have a thinline Eastman 7 string.

Jim

User Info Menu

If you are a 7 string player, another excellent choice if you can find one is a Ibanez AF-207. I had one and regret selling it, they were built in Japan, very high build quality. When I first became aware of Eastman's guitar line back in 2000-ish, I ordered one of the first 7 strings from the rep at that time Gordon. It was a disaster-you could see daylight thru the neck to body joint, awful frets, just a nightmare. I sent it back for a full refund and kept my eye on the product at the NAMM shows over the years. My understanding was that they got Mark Lacey or another known builder to consult with the Chinese workers and after that they really took off. Good luck on your quest.

User Info Menu

I've owned 3 Eastman Pisano's, several 810CE's both in traditional cutaway and acoustic non cutaway guitars. As the previous poster suggested, Eastman is the real deal. I'd echo the sentiments of the previous post, the Pisano model was my favorite Eastman as well.

For anyone to suggest they'd not sample anything outside of brand X I find a bit head scratching, given that any dealer worth buying from will allow a return....hmmm, I don't get that statement.

Anyway, I bought my first Peerless in an Imperial after having almost bought the Peerless Monarch from Guitar's 'n Jazz. Lou, the owner, is a very knowledgeable source on anything Eastman or Peerless, and he's a straight shooter. There are but a few Peerless carrier's in the states, and that's too bad, for the Peerless is every bit as well made as the Eastman.

The Palen is a smaller, east coast luthier if I'm not mistaken, that produces typical higher dollar boutique archtops, of which I've no experience, but clearly a new or used Palen will cost many times more.

User Info Menu

It is my understanding that Peerless are Korean built and that the factory has built several archtop models under other names including Epiphone. Is this correct?

User Info Menu

2bornot2bop, very encouraging on the Peerlesses, you are pretty convincing, and I'll check into them a little closer. I did notice the Monarch has plastic neck markers (or at least the one I saw on Ebay does). My old Ibanez AF300 does too, drives me nuts but otherwise an incredibly well made guitar. The Ibanez 7 strings are a possibility, there's one on ebay now, but to be honest I hate how they do the sunburst. You'd think appearance should not matter, then you own it for 20 years and it bugs you every time you look at it. Guess I'm superficial :-). Thanks for the good info.

There is also the Schecter Jazz 7, pretty cheap but might work, there is one on ebay now, but the seller is a ........ so I'm passing. Bummer, was maybe going to buy it, but in the end I am sure an Eastman would make me much happier. Or maybe a Peerless.

Jim

User Info Menu

Beautiful Eastman ar805

User Info Menu

Wow, Broyale, that's pretty. Is that a custom finish? I don't recall seeing it as an option on the Eastman site but may have missed it.

I apologize in advance for this:
    Do you ever play the blues on that guitar?

Jim

User Info Menu

Wow, Broyale, that's pretty. Is that a custom finish? I don't recall seeing it as an option on the Eastman site but may have missed it.

I apologize in advance for this:
    Do you ever play the blues on that guitar?

Jim
    I do not own that guitar, I got the picture from the Guitars'nJazz site.

User Info Menu

I wasn't all that happy with the Sunburst or tailpiece on the AF207 either, however it was a really well built guitar that sounded warm and full plugged in-not much acoustic tone. Fifteen years or so ago we didn't have much choice on 7 strings-you could seek out a Gretsch Van Eps, maybe a AF207 or custom order one. Happy days are here as now there are several options including the thinline style. Also, custom build 7's show up by Unger, Foster, etc. for not too much more than the Eastmans and offer yet another path.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SierraTango
    I wasn't all that happy with the Sunburst or tailpiece on the AF207 either, however it was a really well built guitar that sounded warm and full plugged in-not much acoustic tone. Fifteen years or so ago we didn't have much choice on 7 strings-you could seek out a Gretsch Van Eps, maybe a AF207 or custom order one. Happy days are here as now there are several options including the thinline style. Also, custom build 7's show up by Unger, Foster, etc. for not too much more than the Eastmans and offer yet another path.
    What thinline 7 strings are you aware of besides Eastman and the Schecter Jazz 7? The luthier guitars I see are still considerably more than the Eastmans, though I am sure they are worth it.

Jim

User Info Menu

Well to me comparing Eastman and Peerless is fair and accurate. The Palen guitars are more akin to say Benedetto in that they are a custom "hand" built instrument and not factory production instruments like the other two brands. My limited experience with Palen is they are gorgeous instruments and are very high end. I think you could buy 2 Peerless and 2 Eastman high end guitars for what 1 Palen might cost brand new.

'Mike

User Info Menu

Thanks. I believe you on the 880.

Pasadena is lots closer than that Jersey place, but still 12 hours away, I'm in New Mexico. There is an Eastman Dealer in Albuquerque.

I guess Palins are luthier guitars, not produced by a company in China.

Really would love to have a thinline Eastman 7 string.

Jim
    Grandma's in ABQ carries Eastman from time to time but I haven't seen a high end model there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Grandma's in ABQ carries Eastman from time to time but I haven't seen a high end model there.
    That's fine, I can't afford a high end one :-).
    Jim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Broyale

Beautiful Eastman ar805
    that's an old finish. Lou hasn't updated his website. for blue 810-805CE's haven't been offered in 4 years . they didn't sell too well I take it as several dealer's dumped the blues judging by the 3 or so I observed sell on the 'bay for less than $1200.

User Info Menu

2bornot2bop, very encouraging on the Peerlesses, you are pretty convincing, and I'll check into them a little closer. I did notice the Monarch has plastic neck markers (or at least the one I saw on Ebay does). My old Ibanez AF300 does too, drives me nuts but otherwise an incredibly well made guitar. The Ibanez 7 strings are a possibility, there's one on ebay now, but to be honest I hate how they do the sunburst. You'd think appearance should not matter, then you own it for 20 years and it bugs you every time you look at it. Guess I'm superficial :-). Thanks for the good info.

There is also the Schecter Jazz 7, pretty cheap but might work, there is one on ebay now, but the seller is a ........ so I'm passing. Bummer, was maybe going to buy it, but in the end I am sure an Eastman would make me much happier. Or maybe a Peerless.

Jim
    Having not owned the Monarch I don't know if it's that dressed down from the Imperial or not. However the Imperial is carved all the way around, so it would stand that they'd place MOP on their best effort of an archtop. The Imperial is the best buy all around in the $2k price range imho...something else folks DON"T know, is its got the absolute loudest acoustic volume level of any archtop that I've sampled...some 30 guitars....the rest haven't even been close to projecting half of what the Imperial does...it's so loud in fact frankly it gives my carved spruce flattop a run for its money. It's a shame the word hasn't gotten out on the Imperial.

I watched a blonde Monarch sit on the 'bay for 3 weeks at $750. No one bought it...ridiculous is what I thought...and no, already owning 5 archtops I wasn't about to buy it just to see how it compared to the Imperial...it's my belief that the only real difference between the Monarch and the Imperial is a lack of carved woods and ebony touches all around like the Imperial has. Listen to Matt Otten play his Monarch demo's on youtube...clearly it's a solid guitar, which I've observed sell used 3 times at $850 or less...that's a steal for that guitar.
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 08-20-2012 at 12:41 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SierraTango
    It is my understanding that Peerless are Korean built and that the factory has built several archtop models under other names including Epiphone. Is this correct?
    Yes, Peerless is produced in Korea, and have been producing guitars for 40 years. Peerless has a huge factory in Korea, and like Samick, create guitars for many companies. The Carlo Robelli guitars I've seen are Peerless guitars, like this one which is a rebadged Peerless Monarch.

CARLO ROBELLI AWESOME "D'ANGELICO NEW YORKER" COPY, KOREAN ARCHTOP JAZZBOX | eBay

User Info Menu

I bought a Peerless Monarch on line last year. I paid $1295. When it arrived I played it for 5 minutes and new I would sell it as soon as possible.
    It was well made for sure and played very well.
    But it had a very small acoustic sound. Very, very small and narrow sound.
    Plugged in, it was fine.
    Amazing guitar for the money, but if you want a big body sound then look for something else.......unless mine was a one of.
    My experience with that instrument would make we wary of any Korean Archtop in that price range IF acoustic projection was a prerequisite for you.

They sound great plugged in though. Just check the Matt Otten clips and see if you like that tone.

I eventually sold it for $1000 but it took a few months.
    It hasn't turned me away from Korean made guitars though, because the workmanship and finish were excellent.
    In fact I'm about to order a Comins GCS1-ES for those louder gigs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Philco
    I bought a Peerless Monarch on line last year. I paid $1295. When it arrived I played it for 5 minutes and new I would sell it as soon as possible.
    It was well made for sure and played very well.
    But it had a very small acoustic sound. Very, very small and narrow sound.
    Plugged in, it was fine.
    Amazing guitar for the money, but if you want a big body sound then look for something else.......unless mine was a one of.
    My experience with that instrument would make we wary of any Korean Archtop in that price range IF acoustic projection was a prerequisite for you.

They sound great plugged in though. Just check the Matt Otten clips and see if you like that tone.

I eventually sold it for $1000 but it took a few months.
    It hasn't turned me away from Korean made guitars though, because the workmanship and finish were excellent.
    In fact I'm about to order a Comins GCS1-ES for those louder gigs.
    So you acquired your Monarch for acoustic playing and then became dissatisfied with its acoustic projection?

Clearly your previous Monarch must have been the Imperial in shape only, for the Imperial acoustically bests some high dollar guitars I previously and currently own. But then a Gibson ES175 isn't an L5, so too a Monarch is no Imperial.

And the D'A Korean's are killer guitars at any price range, in my humble experience of having owned 4 of them. From what I've experienced of Korean guitar makers in some 6 guitars I've previously owned they bring it in spades.

Although, I'd never buy or qualify a jazz archtop based upon its acoustic projection alone.
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 08-22-2012 at 04:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    So you acquired your Monarch for acoustic playing and then became dissatisfied with its acoustic projection?

Clearly your previous Monarch must have been the Imperial in shape only, for the Imperial acoustically bests some high dollar guitars I previously owned.

And the D'A Korean's are killer guitars at any price range, in my humble experience of having owned 4 of them. From what I've experienced of Korean guitar makers in some 6 guitars I've previously owned they bring it in spades.

Although, I'd never buy or qualify a jazz archtop based upon its acoustic projection alone.
    I was after a certain sound and thought the Monarch was a good place to start. I thought Matt's sound was heading in the right direction for me but I wanted to hear more depth behind the notes.
    I was experimenting and it was my first jazz box.....well I had a GB10 at the time as well. It was my first "full size" jazz box let's say.
    My GB10 was actually acoustically louder than the Monarch.
    I wasn't satisfied with the GB10's amplified sound ......because I was looking for more depth.....that acoustic attack you can hear from a great arch top even when it's plugged in.

What I was looking for was the sound of an L5.
    So I bought one. And I'm happy.

I'm not knocking Peerless. Just letting you know that the one I got was really quiet. Really quiet.
    Even the guy who bought it from me was shocked when he heard my little 16' Tom Painter compared to the Monarch.
    But that guitar is very loud and has a great electric sound as well.......because of it. And of course 3 times the price.
    Perhaps my Monarch was a very quiet one compared to others. I don't know.

I'm still lusting after a Pisano Eastman. One day she will be mine

User Info Menu

It sounds like your Monarch's acoustic sound got combined to my Imperial. I kid you not, the Imperial sounds like 2 archtop's, its got that much volume. Its got twice the volume of my carved GE. The guitar just sings. Even the stock floater is a keeper as is.

Congrat's on the L5! I wished they were more affordable used for I'd love to own one, which if I chose to sell 5 guitars I could, but I enjoy playing more than 1 guitar. Even the WesMo' L5 with the repaired top that's been on the 'bay for 5 weeks the seller is asking $3750.

I'm on the prowl for another 880 Pisano as well, for I've not encountered any guitar that made chord transitions so simple...there's just something about their fingerboard material...and the stock upgraded set KA pup I thought was really nice. Comfy too at 16".

A Pisano sold used on the 'bay y'day for $1800, and it was local to me, but I passed on it for it had several dings...Each of the 3 I previously owned arrived with major finish checking, so the next Pisano I buy will be keeper clean. Nice guitar.
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 08-19-2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: pic

User Info Menu

At the risk of repeating myself, I LOVE my 2005 Pisano 880. I've owned over the years a '59 Epi Broadway, a Triggs Gigmister, a Gibson Howard Roberts, a Heritage Golden Eagle, a Eastman 805 7 String, Ibanez AF207, a Mapson 7 string, I could go on. Of all of the above, the Pisano is my favorite. I recently came into some funds and have been considering a upgrade. I've got a line on a late nineties Westerly Artist Award, original owner,blond in "under the bed" condition. I'll probably go ahead and make a deal on it, however the Pisano will stay in the stable. I'm really not a big fan of lots o' inlays and binding, but I've always wanted a AA so here's my chance.