The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

So this is Tim Lerch demoing the new Fender Excelsior amp. He takes it through a variety of tones from blues, rock, overdriven to jazz.

'Mike

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I played one locally... sweet amp. 13W is alot louder than people might think... for jazzy tones, it's be at a nice volume, but for more driven tones this thing is quite loud. Good tone tho, even with the stock tubes.

And i agree with Mr Lerch that the bright switch is WAY too bright, short of plugging a bass into the thing, I can't imagine EVER using it.

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing that Jazzman. Nice demo. For a simple amp it's versatile. Nice tremelo.

User Info Menu

Meh. Not impressed at all for jazz (I'd rather be a one trick pony than a jack of all trades) . I'll stick with my Twin, Polytone MB4 and Henriksen Convertible.

User Info Menu

Sorry, didn't think much of it and with Tim playing you'd think it would be sweet.

User Info Menu

Sounds to bright for my taste

User Info Menu

Love the looks but that's about it,unfortunately.

User Info Menu

Sounds terrible. Bright, brittle...

why on earth would fender want to make an amp that doesn't sound or look like a Fender?

User Info Menu

Last edited by kawa; 08-11-2012 at 07:41 AM.

User Info Menu

Still sounds terrible for jazz in that clip Kawa.

User Info Menu

OK, but needs the setting for Jazz Tone.
    https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guita...excelsior.html

User Info Menu

Pretty cool amp, but not for jazz. Would be great for surf rock, blues, garage rock, etc. I like it. Low-fi, nice overdriven tube sound. So what if it doesn't sound like a standard Fender? Still a great, low cost, retro looking and sounding amp!

User Info Menu

well i must just make the point that until i personally play on an amp , i seldom take youtube demo's too seriously , it gives a general idea ect ........ i own 5 amps in all and each is different and one is a point to point custom tube amp... but i can get "my sound" on each of them by twiddling a bit or rolling off tone on guitar .......

so before i condemn this amp as being a 'NON jazz" amp.... i want to try one first .... and since it has no EQ except a bright switch maybe an eq pedal is the answer ....... and we all know how a slight boost or cut in relevant freqencies can just make all the difference ...and my style and choice of guitar and amp and guitar settings and pickup selection will make my sound way different from any you tube demo....

ok so after that .... my take on what i seen ...........i love the retro look ..... man thats cool , personally i would have liked a bass and treble tone control on the amp and tube reverb ....... it has tube trem why not tube reverb .... my hand wired tube amp has tube trem and reverb and it's so much better than the digital reverb . but thats the vintage 'verb tone i like ......

be interesting to see the componants ... if it a pc board build like most newer tube amps the mods might be limited........ but most tube amps allow for substantial tweaking and if it's point to point wired ( which i doubt at that money) then that amp could be adapted to suit your personal needs by a good amp tech .......
    Last edited by Keira Witherkay; 08-11-2012 at 10:30 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Sounds terrible. Bright, brittle...

why on earth would fender want to make an amp that doesn't sound or look like a Fender?
    So people who want something that doesn't sound like a Fender will still buy an amp from Fender. They've been doing that a lot lately with different guitar models, why not try the amp market?

User Info Menu

I'm thinking of down grading my 40 watt el84 to a smaller 5 to 20 watt valve amp. There are a lot to choose from but this one looks cool, basic and cheap which fits jazzbows main criteria

Telecaster forum has a lot of buzz on this and there is tips on how to modify with valves, speakers and simple tone mod but then you are spending more dosh to get what you want!

After trawling loads of sites and vid clips the best I have found is this one on 'Proguitarshop.com'

Fender Pawn Shop Special Excelsior

They seem to do justice to the lo/fi mojo that this amp warrants and they would have professionally miked it up for the clip as opposed to the usual youtube 'fart in a can' sounds we hear.

For me, the jury is still out on this amp. It will need an eq and reverb pedal to make it more tone friendly for me but 6v6 power tubes + 15" speaker is the 'swithering' factor.

Damn you Fender.......

User Info Menu

Hi Guys,
    I don't think this amp would cut it as a "jazz" amp excecpt in the most low volume settings. I got it to try and emulate the "cheap catalog amp" of the 50s and for that it does pretty well. Everyone has their own criteria of course and I'm always surprised by what sounds great in others hands. As usual, I dont demo something to try to convince anyone of the value, rather to allow someone to hear a decent recording to have another piece in the puzzle .
    great to hear all the comments.
    all the best
    Tim