The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: What gauge strings on your archtop?

Voters
812. You may not vote on this poll

37 4.56%

165 20.32%

385 47.41%

205 25.25%
  • other

58 7.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Posts 151 to 175 of 301

User Info Menu

I've recently gone from TI swing flats 13-53's to 12-50's, I don't know if my hearing has changed tonally but I prefer the more open sound they give, also my hands aren't as strong as they were and it makes the big chords easier to play.
    Midnight Blue by Kenny Burrell is one of my favourites, I love his phrasing.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have changed the gauges over the years depending upon what I am playing.
    I have settled on a hybrid set. 0.012 - 0.052 with a plain 0.022 or .024 as I can't bear the extra tension of the G string in the D'Addario set as I feel it sounds more balanced with the plain. I have tuna-matic bridges otherwise I would have to get a rosewood top cut.

User Info Menu

I have a hybrid set of 12/13s. I have them strung across a really cool bone/ ebony bridge. The bone goes all the way across the bridge and the tome screws are actually cut into the bone. I may have the luthier carve notches so that the string hits the bone at a more precise point. Maybe that will free up the vribrations of the string. It is an interesting sound

User Info Menu

Steve Howe when playing his 1964 Gibson ES175 puts on 12, 12, 16, 24, 40, 50. Some people on here may not like what he plays on it, I love it for being a unique sound and style and always exciting and unexpected.

User Info Menu

D'Addario Chromes 11ga. Simple. Gets the job done.

User Info Menu

Lately: TI Jazz/Swing 13 set.

User Info Menu

When judging string gauges, do you guys think it's appropriate to list only the size of the top E string? I bring this up because of the relatively recent introduction of the Thomastic Infeld sets that combine 12 gauge sets with 13 gauge high E and B strings. In the case of the Thomastiks, I would label them as 12s with boosted top strings.

Using an extreme example to make my point, I'd like to use the custom GHS set designed for Pat Martino. His top E string is a 15 gauge monster, but the rest of the set is basically a 12. How would you describe this set in the poll?

1st E Plain Steel .015
    2nd B Plain Steel .017
    3rd G Stainless Steel FlatwoundÔ .024
    4th D Stainless Steel FlatwoundÔ .032
    5th A Stainless Steel FlatwoundÔ .042
    6th E Stainless Steel FlatwoundÔ .052

User Info Menu

Your point is well taken. Mine are 13 to 53 TI Jazz Swing.

User Info Menu

The same can be said about the LaBella 15-56 which has the very heavy top strings but otherwise is more like a normal 13-56 set.

Another thing, which the outer diameters don't tell us, is the core diameter of the wound strings. Here the string pull (if published) can guide us.

User Info Menu

Using TI Swing 12's which feel like 11's.
    Last edited by Broyale; 12-29-2014 at 08:01 AM.

User Info Menu

I just slapped on a set of my first TI's on my old Gretsch New Yorker. These are the first 13's I have ever used. I gotta say I really dig em with the low action.

I have been using Chrome 11's for years now... and these seem much nicer on the fingers despite the larger strings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Klatu
    When judging string gauges, do you guys think it's appropriate to list only the size of the top E string? I bring this up because of the relatively recent introduction of the Thomastic Infeld sets that combine 12 gauge sets with 13 gauge high E and B strings. In the case of the Thomastiks, I would label them as 12s with boosted top strings.

Using an extreme example to make my point, I'd like to use the custom GHS set designed for Pat Martino. His top E string is a 15 gauge monster, but the rest of the set is basically a 12. How would you describe this set in the poll?

1st E Plain Steel .015
    2nd B Plain Steel .017
    3rd G Stainless Steel FlatwoundÔ .024
    4th D Stainless Steel FlatwoundÔ .032
    5th A Stainless Steel FlatwoundÔ .042
    6th E Stainless Steel FlatwoundÔ .052
    When it is part of a standard pack... sure. It is a lot easier for me to say Chrome 11s or TI Swing 13's. Now.. if I put together a special set.. I would probably just use the smallest and largest as short-hand. In this case, and assuming this isn't available as a set, I'd just say GHS 15-52's unless someone wanted to know more. If they ARE available in a PM set... I'd just call them GHS Pat Martinos or something. That's me.

User Info Menu

I'm so pleased by the Thomastick 10-50 flatwound strings.

I use D'Addario Jazz Lights that are .012 -.052 round wounds with a wound 3rd string. If I want to bend strings I have my telecaster clone for that.

User Info Menu

Has anyone compared Thomastik GB112 with JS112? I'm curious about the differences in tone.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

D'Addario ECG24-7 Chromes Flat Wound 7-String Electric Guitar Strings, Jazz Light, 11-65
    Plain Steel .011, .015, Nickel Wound .022, .030, .040, .050, .065

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87

On a more serious note, I had a question for folks using 13s and heavier on their boxes. I just brougt my guitar into a luthier (guitar maker) upstate, and he said that archtops should not be strung with 13s for too long. Apparently, the point of contact between the neck and the guitar (the heel?) moves around and it could permanently damage the guitar.
    thats just not true

User Info Menu

Let me clarify... sorry pingu.

He said that lighter archtops and newer guitars built with thinner tops should not be strung with heavy strings without abandon. He said that the string tension is bad for these types of guitars over time. Many of the Gibsons and Guilds that people have here (I want an artist award) have a thicker top than my Eastman. Sorry if my post was taken out of context.

User Info Menu

.....My luthier told me to try to do my guitars ( all archtops ) a favor and stop at 12 / 52's vs 13/56.......( Chromes ).......less tension means less strain on the instruments, particularly the tops.....

.......is this so ??

User Info Menu

No... But they might sound better! Heavier strings can stifle the top on some instruments due to more downward pressure on the bridge. String gauge and type, though, are largely a matter of taste. You're not going to hurt the guitar with 13s. That's a very common gauge for jazz archtops.

User Info Menu

With what were strung the thin laminated Gibson from the 50s and 60s ?

User Info Menu

the 12/13s up top mix I got sound great for playing chords and solos on my Eastman. I think it differs from guitar to guitar, depending on the build. I am beginning to understand that one size does not ​fit all when it comes to playing music and stringing yer gitter.

User Info Menu

I said that many Gibsons have a thicker top. Eastmans are extremely thin. That means a lot of acoustic presence.... and a lot of feedback . Still love my guitar, though

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    the 12/13s up top mix I got sound great for playing chords and solos on my Eastman. I think it differs from guitar to guitar, depending on the build. I am beginning to understand that one size does not ​fit all when it comes to playing music and stringing yer gitter.
    exactly..forget the preconceptions and listen!!

(but bear in mind any structural limitations of the particular guitar!)

there is a perfect string for the sound you want from your guitar...

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinlander
    With what were strung the thin laminated Gibson from the 50s and 60s ?

gibson strings were monel..mona-steel...

12-56 was medium!!

closest current string would be rotosound "monel" flatwound..12-52..but a beefy 12-52…try it

pyramid and martin have also recently (re) introduced monel to their string lines, but i believe roundwounds only

cheers