The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

I have a Gibson L7, non-cut, that has a pickup that is part of the pick guard. Gradually, in the 25 years I have owned it, the end of the pickup has warped up slightly so that the small piece of felt underneath the pickup no longer touches the top of the guitar and the low E pole causes the string to buzz when played. I can probably raise the action a bit and solve this, but wondered if there was a more luthier worthy solution. There doesn't appear to be any adjustment I can make to the pick guard to correct this problem. Any suggestion on how to fix this and to whom I should take/send it for repair would be appreciated. If there is a luthier in the mid-Atlantic states, that would be preferable.

Note: I edited this post because I realized that I had mistakenly typed L4 in both the title and body of the text, when it is actually and L7. I guess reading the 10 page thread on the custom L4 addled my brain. I don't seem to be able to edit the title.
    Last edited by Chrome; 06-23-2012 at 10:46 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's common for those old plastic pickguards to warp and eventually they even crumble. Most have a replacement pickguards made, and it doesn't effect the value of the guitar.

There's more than one source (Google is your friend!). Start here

Gibson Pickguards

Thanks. I appreciate your help.

User Info Menu

Kamplapati; I can also make repro guards see: http://www.niceguitar.eu/FSFT.html

But I think from his description Chrome refers to a McCarty guard right ("a pickup that is part of the pick guard") ?

I would glue a rigid piece of acrylic rod underneath to reverse the bend, should be easily fixable

That is what it looks like except it only has a single neck pickup. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fws6

I would glue a rigid piece of acrylic rod underneath to reverse the bend, should be easily fixable
    Thanks, fws6, great to have the expert right here. Do you think it is possible to make a replacement McCarty guard, and to move the PUs to the new guard?

User Info Menu

I'm quite fond of these old McCarty units.....

These pickguards are celluoid......and most of them have done some off gassing, warping, and shrinking over the years and often need to be reflattened with a little heat. Sometimes I'll need to take the pickup and harness off, but often I can do this without going to all that trouble.
    I've managed to straighten them with clamps, a flat surface, and small curved cauls using heat from a hair dryer carefully applied.

fws6's suggestion to add a reinforcement rod or bar is a good one......especially after flattening.....these things do sometimes have a "memory" and can sometimes tend to warp again. I'll slightly overbend them in the opposite direction of the warp and they'll often move back to straight.

In one case I did transfer the pickup to another pickguard I made for a '61 Guild CA-100. See below....

As originally designed for L-7's, L-5's and L-4's....these contraptions work surprisingly well.....

z
    Last edited by zizala; 06-22-2012 at 05:14 PM.

User Info Menu

Be careful how you heat them.. if you arent sure why try setting a fender celluloid pick on fire

User Info Menu

Grant Green used one, as seen on many of his album covers. One of the pickup makers (Lollar?) made some replicas a few years ago.

User Info Menu

Lollar replicas were VERY expensive though, unless there are other problems with the guard, keep it original. Usually a reinforcing bar can de the trick

User Info Menu

Love that CA-100!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zizala

z
    Gorgeous.

I am now drooling uncontrollably.

Follow up question (and note that I have edited the OP to reflect my momentary spaciness, the guitar is an L7 not an L4. If I figure out how, I will post a pic).

Is it reasonable to consider having a custom pickguard built with a floating PUP instead of messing with the original? I gain a few things going this route. The original pickguard has a threaded cord attachment (as shown in the pics posted by fws6). A 1/4" plug would be nice and I think I would play it more often. If I went this route, I wouldn't mess with the original pickguard and, because I won't own it forever, a future custodian will have the original.

1949 L7
    Attached Images Attached Images '49 Gibson L4 floating pickup problem-gibson-l7-1-jpg 

User Info Menu

Chrome,

I've changed out my McCarty's to a standard 1/4" jack.

After unsoldering and removing the old screw type jack, a Switchcraft type jack will insert and mount easily into the original L bracket. Its also a reversable conversion.

Oh.......and nice looking L-7!

z

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay

Beautiful guitar!
    Thanks. It is older than I am, but in much better condition.

Thought I would do a follow up post. First of all, I want to thank FSW for some very helpful discussion. I ended up having a luthier work on the problem and I am happy to report that he was able to make a few adjustments to the guard without modifying it or the guitar and solved the problem. He also did a set up and it is back in playing shape.

User Info Menu

great glad that i was of any help and if you ever need a guard let me know

User Info Menu

Frank is the go to guy for repro guards. That L7 is gorgeous. I've got one also but it's a 1935 with the floral inlays and the thinner trapeze tailpiece. It's a very under rated guitar since it's basically an L5 without the extra bling. According to some, it may even be a bit better since it doesn't have the extra binding to interfere with the top and back vibrations. I think Jimmy D'Aquisto talked about that when he started to make his instruments with no inlays and wood bindings. Hopefully, I'm not mistaken about that.