The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 66

User Info Menu

I find that I'm slurring more than bending these days. But it really depends on the guitar and what I want to do with it. 11's with a plain 3rd for my Tele and 335 clones, 12's with a wound third for my acoustics and my archtop. It's all good!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

When I play Jazz, I just don't bend.

Flatwounds with an unwound 3rd sound "out of place", if you ask me.

HTH,

User Info Menu

If ya wanna bend flatwound strings, bend the B string!

Check out Barney K at around 1:14

User Info Menu

resurrecting a dead thread here...
    I just tried a set of Chromes 12-52 and the wound G intonated horribly flat.
    But with a set of 11-49 the plain G was right on.

not sure what is going on here.
    the bridge is compensated ebony.

User Info Menu

I don't do a lot of bending but I refuse to play any set with a wound third. But I'm definitely not an archtop player.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GodinFan
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned one of the reasons so many jazz players use a wound G. The solid wood bridges on many jazz guitars have no intonation adjustments are are compensated for a wound G.
    Well I'm late to join in here, like TWO YEARS LATE, but isn't that awfully cart-before-the-horse-ish?

I mean, use the strings you like, and change the saddle to match.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fritz jones

If you ever look at an intonated wood bridge, the G string is always way out in front of the other strings. This is for a wound G. For an unwound G, you would want the bridge to be the furthest back. So what you're seeing is an artifact of that. You would probably need to move the G string bridge piece all the way back (assuming you have individual adjustments).

And lately I've been doing a fair amount of fusion and bending with a set of .012-.049 and a wound .018 strings. It can be done.

User Info Menu

Here is a picture of two saddles (Sadowsky). The top one is for a plain G, the bottom one for a wound G. The bottom of each saddle is facing front (toward the neck). Notice the positions of the G cutouts.

http://www.sadowsky.com/store/true-tone-bridge-set.html

User Info Menu

I have a gig where I'm playing a "bendy" blues on one tune, Lady Is A Tramp the next and a country thing on the next. I have no desire to use several guitars. I use D'Addario 11-50 set with a pain G. It give me flexibility to play both, but more importantly, I use a Roland guitar synth to model various guitars. My Heritage Prospect thin hollowbody is the perfect platform for this and the synth gives me a believeable archtop sound or I can model a Strat, a Telecaster, an acoustic steel or nylon string guitar. Or a Hammond B-3 or Rhodes piano for that matter The lighter strings also help the synth to track better.

User Info Menu

I've had this. Threw me off track, then after a few days I also realised the magnetic pull of the pickup increases due to the extra girth of the heavier G string.

When the pickups are set near the limit of their height without pulling the strings out of tune, then when you put heavier strings on you cross the limit and the pickup pulls your strings out of tune.

As well as the bridge issues explained above, this could also be what is causing problems.

Lower the pickup by half a turn of each screw. (Assuming you have some adjustment)
    Last edited by Sean65; 02-13-2014 at 06:41 PM.

User Info Menu

Wouldn't it be easier to lower the magnetic pole under the G string?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edh
    Wouldn't it be easier to lower the magnetic pole under the G string?
    if it's a wound 3rd you'd need to raise, not lower the g string and anyway, it's the bridge, not the mag pull causing the problem.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    if it's a wound 3rd you'd need to raise, not lower the g string and anyway, it's the bridge, not the mag pull causing the problem.
    Yeah, You could raise the string instead of lowering the pickup. Not ideal though.

They're two separate issues. This is different to the intonation at the bridge.

If you have a pickup that allows you to adjust individual poles then there's no reason why not. But most pickups don't, so you just need to lower the whole pickup.

User Info Menu

@Jack,

This what I was responding to:

"I've had this. Threw me off track, then after a few days I also realised the magnetic pull of the pickup increases due to the extra girth of the heavier G string.

When the pickups are set near the limit of their height without pulling the strings out of tune, then when you put heavier strings on you cross the limit and the pickup pulls your strings out of tune.

As well as the bridge issues explained above, this could also be what is causing problems.

Lower the pickup by half a turn of each screw. (Assuming you have some adjustment)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edh
    @Jack,

This what I was responding to:

"I've had this. Threw me off track, then after a few days I also realised the magnetic pull of the pickup increases due to the extra girth of the heavier G string.

yes I know. My point is, that's not why there's an intonation problem between plain and wound. And secondly, with a wound G you need to raise the screw not lower it because the wound G will not be as loud as the plain G and that will exacerbate the supposed solution.

User Info Menu

oddly enough my bridge is compensated for a plain G, I have now realized.
    It is a custom made ebony bridge.

I still am not sure if I like an ebony saddle for a semihollow guitar.

User Info Menu

I use a Wound 3rd String on my Guitar because it's a Specially formulated Flexible Wound G made w/ a Prototype "Flex-Hex Core" by D'addario. The other thing I do is tune the instrument a half step down to make the strings easier to bend.
    Last edited by s11141827; 01-19-2024 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Few tweaks needed

User Info Menu

Sounds like snake oil to me. They'll sell like hotcakes.

User Info Menu

If Ed Bickert didn't use a wound G, then I won't either (on my jazz solid only)!

User Info Menu

If I'm bending, I have a set of 9s on my guitar. That would be my Strats and Les Paul. One strat is tuned 1/2 step down for playing Jimi. I don't want to work too hard.

User Info Menu

Just recently I put a plain .020 g-string on my ES 330. IMHO it works great together with the Chromes 12-52 set. I did not change the strings because I wanted easier bending but for the tone. I like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guavajelly
    Just recently I put a plain .020 g-string on my ES 330. IMHO it works great together with the Chromes 12-52 set. I did not change the strings because I wanted easier bending but for the tone. I like it.
    A Wound G string would work great but I'd suggest tuning down a few steps so like maybe D Standard or C# Standard.

User Info Menu

Or maybe use a wound g but shorten the scale length to maybe 19 inches.

User Info Menu

For me, bending has nothing to do with it. It depends on the guitar. It will tell me what it wants. On some guitars a plain G is too loud compared to the other strings, on others a wound G is too soft. Also there’s the tonal gap between wound and plain strings and how obnoxious that is differs from guitar to guitar. On some, a plain G sounds more cohesive. On others, a wound G.

User Info Menu

I've experimented using a plain 21 gauge for a D string, I couldn't intonate it properly, but I do prefer plain gauge to wound.

I nearly always use plain gauge for the G string on solid body guitars.