The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 188

User Info Menu

Sounds like Keith is using some amplifier in the Love Walked In video--great tone, too. Keith was a Polytone guy for a long time. I wonder if he was using a MiniBrute on that clip? The L-5 sounds great on You Go To My Head, too. Murch can play.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Say, while we are on a Keith Murch/floating pickup deal, check out Keith and his buddy Andy Klaehn (sax):

Keith is playing his D'Angelico Style B with a model 1100 DeArmond. Keith and his guitar sound fabulous. He is playing into a Polytone MiniBrute IV.

User Info Menu

It could be the recording, but, to me, it sounds the way an archtop sounds through a MBIV...if the Brite switch is set in the middle position, between Brite and Dark. I like the sound, although I tend to keep the switch set "up," i.e., on Brite.

My guess would be that most people on the forum would prefer the sound of that guitar/pickup through an Evans amp.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    It is you Patrick. The guitar, pickup, amp and the player (Keith) sound great....
    Yeah . . probably me. But, the acoustic L5 sounded crystal clear. I thought I heard a bit of edginess in the Campy too. Probably just the way I'm hearing the amp. But, the L5 sounded killer! I too really dig Keith's playing. "Old School" . . . is the best way I could describe it. He plays the song . . . . without discrediting the melody.

User Info Menu

I can see myself getting one of these for my 1958 Hofner Senator. Currently it's used as a gypsy jazz guitar, but I can see it being a nice acoustic/electric, especially for 30s/40s swing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    Yeah . . probably me. But, the acoustic L5 sounded crystal clear. I thought I heard a bit of edginess in the Campy too. Probably just the way I'm hearing the amp. But, the L5 sounded killer! I too really dig Keith's playing. "Old School" . . . is the best way I could describe it. He plays the song . . . . without discrediting the melody.
    Thanks Patrick. I assume you are referring to one non-cut acoustic L5. I really like that guitar. It belonged to my father and was one of a small batch of non-cutaway guitars that Gibson built for the NAMM show in 1970. IIRC, there were about three of them. It's beautifully made, with very nice wood. It appears to have a very thin finish, which I am sure contributes to the fine tone. My father almost never played the guitar and it remains in like-new condition to this day. My '63 L5C is a little brighter than that one. Both of those guitars have a more traditional tone than my Campellone Special. The Campellone sounds extremely warm and "modern" while the L5's sound more like old fashioned rhythm guitars. The D'Angelico was not a very loud guitar acoustically, but I liked it with the De'Armond pu. I eventually let the DA go in a deal on another guitar and one of my Rhythm Chief 1000's went away with it. Fortunately, I still have a few De'Armond pu's and I am thinking about replacing the Johnny Smith pickup on my '63 L5C with my 1100. Those are my favourite floating pickups.
    Keith
    Last edited by floatingpickup; 07-08-2015 at 10:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dmorash
    Just put a reissue 1100 in my jazzica. Broke the bar trying to bend it ...
    Guild sells replacement bars for $10. I've read they are very brittle.
    Last edited by KirkP; 08-02-2015 at 06:18 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm thinking of ordering a reissue RC 1100 for a 1938-ish Gibson L-7. The RC pickups came out in the 1950s, but being period-correct is not a concern.
    Since it's the X-braced model, the clearance from top to strings is fairly low -- about 9/16 in (0.56 in, 14.2 mm) at minimum. I think the RC pickups work well in low string clearance situations, but I'd like to be certain my 14mm is enough before ordering.
    Does anyone know the minimum clearance required for the RC 1100, including the space required between the pickup and strings? Thanks!
    Last edited by KirkP; 08-02-2015 at 06:21 PM.

User Info Menu

I don't know the minimum clearance but I have one on a Savoy and the clearance I have is top of guitar to bottom of strings is 12 sixteenths on the bass side and 11 on the treble, clearance with strings pressed at the last fret to top of pickup is 1 sixteenth on the treble side and 2 sixteenths on the bass, I have a very low action 1mm at the 12th fret on the treble and just over 1mm on the bass, if you have a higher action then obviously there will be more clearance, hope this helps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    Thanks Patrick. I assume you are referring to one non-cut acoustic L5. I really like that guitar. It belonged to my father and was one of a small batch of non-cutaway guitars that Gibson built for the NAMM show in 1970. IIRC, there were about three of them. It's beautifully made, with very nice wood. It appears to have a very thin finish, which I am sure contributes to the fine tone. My father almost never played the guitar and it remains in like-new condition to this day. My '63 L5C is a little brighter than that one. Both of those guitars have a more traditional tone than my Campellone Special. The Campellone sounds extremely warm and "modern" while the L5's sound more like old fashioned rhythm guitars. The D'Angelico was not a very loud guitar acoustically, but I liked it with the De'Armond pu. I eventually let the DA go in a deal on another guitar and one of my Rhythm Chief 1000's went away with it. Fortunately, I still have a few De'Armond pu's and I am thinking about replacing the Johnny Smith pickup on my '63 L5C with my 1100. Those are my favourite floating pickups.
    Keith
    Hello,

i have a '62 L5C with a J Smith floater and just ordered the Guild replica RC 1100. Very curious, if you don't mind, your thoughts on the difference between the Johnny Smith floating mini humbucker and the rhythm chief 1100 as it would apply to this guitar.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    Hello,

i have a '62 L5C with a J Smith floater and just ordered the Guild replica RC 1100. Very curious, if you don't mind, your thoughts on the difference between the Johnny Smith floating mini humbucker and the rhythm chief 1100 as it would apply to this guitar.

Thanks!
    I tried my De'Armond 1100 (original vintage version) on my '63 L5C yesterday. I have had that pickup on other guitars in the past, and it is one of my favorite sounding pickups. I like the sound of it better than the JS that was on the L5. My JS pickup is a really early one with the faux tortoise shell in the holes instead of adjustable pole pieces. Although it is a cool historic piece, I find it too bright for my tastes. The tone control on the De'Armond is probably a big factor in this comparison, but I do think it is just a warmer sounding pickup, compared to the JS. Perhaps a newer JS, or a Lollar version would sound more to my tastes. You will need two small screws in the side of the neck to mount the De'Armond with the short rod. I found that one of the JS screw holes could be used for the De'Armond screw (with some careful bending of the rod) and I haven't drilled s second hole at this point. Not sure if I want to do that. Also, the pickguard will need to be notched out. I bought a replica guard that I can cut if I decide to make this a permanent install. Good luck.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Nav, as you may know I have a '75 L-5C with a vintage JS pickup. The pickup looks great and authentic but I've always found it a tad bright, or perhaps a little too thin might be a better adjective.

I am toying with putting a reissue 1100 on that guitar, as well, after the successful Super 400 installation. The 1100 is thicker sounding and has more compression to the attack. That is another thing the JS really lacks to my ear. Then again, I just might leave it all alone, and have yet another tool in the shed. But I think you're gonna like the 1100!

Like Keith, I expect that one of the two existing neck screw holes could be used. I have the short rod mounted with only one screw on the S400, and it's not an issue as long as it's treated with care.

User Info Menu

> Since it's the X-braced model, the clearance from top to strings is fairly low -- about 9/16 in (0.56 in, 14.2 mm) at minimum. I think the RC pickups work well in low string clearance situations, but I'd like to be certain my 14mm is enough before ordering.

Per archtop.com, the minimum string clearance for a guitar mic or a model 1000 is 7/16 inch (oddly, he does not specify for the model 1100, but it should be the same).

I have no personal experience with the 1100, but I had a model 1000 with a 1936 L7 (pretty sure it was x braced) years ago that fit fine. OTOH, I could not fit a guitar mic on a late 40s L4. I think there are similar issues with L50s.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nopedals
    > Per archtop.com, the minimum string clearance for a guitar mic or a model 1000 is 7/16 inch (oddly, he does not specify for the model 1100, but it should be the same).
    The adjustable pole pieces might add a little thickness, but since I have 9/16 inch I'll give it a try. I've got one on order and will report back on my results with the 1938 L-7.

User Info Menu

Wow!
    I know you guys have been fans of this pickup and for a while I sat here and wondered why, but that's about as nice a well rounded sound as anyone can ask for out of an amplified Acoustic Archtop.
    All the videos had exactly the sound I like. Very pleasing to my ears.
    That was a nice arrangement for Love walked in, one of my favorite recordings by the Flamingo's. Its was nice to hear it "not so dark" like they did it.

Alright you guys win. I'm thinking of getting one for my L7C. I didn't want to do it, but I think I have to now.. Problem is, its gonna feed-back like crazy.

That really sounded great.

Joe D

User Info Menu

Yes, it provides a very full sound on an acoustic archtop. However, it is not a thick PAF sound. It has much more acoustic quality. It sort of rings, or chirps, in the high midrange - in a way that provides "air" to the sound. Yet it is also bassy enough for the fullness needed to overcome natural acoustic qualities and sound truly electric.

All in all, a nice pickup to be sure. And easily a good value at the current price ($129 I think).

User Info Menu

Here is a fair representation of the pup. It allows you to hear the guitar acoustically then amplified. The amplified part begins at 2:20.

The 1100 is definitely single coil with the clarity and brightness you'd expect. It has a fuller midrange than Strat pups.

Most of us would roll off some of the treble compared to the video. But it sounds great either way.

I recommend placing the pup near the strings and keeping the pole pieces close to the strings. That allows you to lower the volume, which decreases the hum. I find that the 1100 hums less than the P90.

I don't like hum and I don't like string squeaks. But I have come to accept these noises the same way I accept the vocal extraneous sounds like breathing in. It's all part of the deal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    Nav, as you may know I have a '75 L-5C with a vintage JS pickup. The pickup looks great and authentic but I've always found it a tad bright, or perhaps a little too thin might be a better adjective.

I am toying with putting a reissue 1100 on that guitar, as well, after the successful Super 400 installation. The 1100 is thicker sounding and has more compression to the attack. That is another thing the JS really lacks to my ear. Then again, I just might leave it all alone, and have yet another tool in the shed. But I think you're gonna like the 1100!

Like Keith, I expect that one of the two existing neck screw holes could be used. I have the short rod mounted with only one screw on the S400, and it's not an issue as long as it's treated with care.
    it is as you said The shop where I go will use one of the existing holes used for the JSmith to mount the pick up. Unfortunately the two holes don't align properly with the DeArmond holes. But the one hole should be good enough to melt the pick up and keep it stable. They will have to take a little bit out of the pick guard on the other side to make it fit. No biggie. No need to drill any additional holes, and The DeArmond pick up will use the existing volume and tone controls that are mounted to the pick guard.

Looking forward to getting this guitar back in playing it.

thanks to you and Keith for the feedback.

User Info Menu

Note the gap between the pickup and the butt end of the fingerboard in the video. That's the way guild did it back in the day, probably has something to do with harmonics? In any event, it adds treble, like a 175. Don't know if other manufacturers did that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KIRKP
    I'm thinking of ordering a reissue RC 1100 for a 1938-ish Gibson L-7. The RC pickups came out in the 1950s, but being period-correct is not a concern.
    Since it's the X-braced model, the clearance from top to strings is fairly low -- about 9/16 in (0.56 in, 14.2 mm) at minimum. I think the RC pickups work well in low string clearance situations, but I'd like to be certain my 14mm is enough before ordering.
    Does anyone know the minimum clearance required for the RC 1100, including the space required between the pickup and strings? Thanks!
    Follow-up... The 1100 was received in a pouch plus bubble wrap (no box) but looks great. There is plenty of clearance for the pickup, even with the thick felt on the back. It sounds good in a preliminary benchtop test.
    Next I'll mount it on the neck with one screw, temporarily wire it to a cord, adjust string balance, and try playing it. If that goes well, I'll do a more permanent installation, routing some clearance in the pickguard, adding hidden thumbwheel controls, and an endpin jack.

User Info Menu

Sounds about right! I'm just loving this pickup on my Super 400. I'm finding it to be a rival to my L-5CES in terms of juicy electric tone, but with a touch more acoustic character which is very appealing. I hope you have similar success.

User Info Menu

I got my RC1000 and Schatten thumbwheels last week.Thanks to Jabberwocky, I found out about the Tapastring 1/8" endpin jack that uses the existing hole. It's a bit pricey, at $75, but I'm looking for a minimally invasive installation on my Harmony, so I ordered one.

I note a lot of folks are notching their pickguards for the pickup. Mine fits with 0-1/8" overlap depending on how far from the end of the fretboard I would put the pickup. If I mount it up high, I will likely make a small offset block so I can move the guard over an 1/8" without any notching or any appreciable aesthetic issue.
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 08-08-2015 at 12:22 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm going to try it on my L-7 without routing the pickguard. The screws won't be quite centered on the strings, but since I can adjust the pickup for each string it might work. If not, The pickguard's not original so a bit of reshaping does little harm.
    I'm also considering attaching a 1/8" jack under the pickguard rather than spending $75 on the Tapastring. But a 1/8" jack is a little more inconvenient than a 1/4" since you must remember to bring an adapter wherever you go ..: plus a spare in case it fails!
    Last edited by KirkP; 08-08-2015 at 12:46 AM.

User Info Menu

I use the Tapstring in a couple of guitars, and I also bought the short adapter cord they sell. It has a female 1/4" end for your standard cord, then a 1/8" plug for the Vintage Jack. It's very convenient, looks good, and is totally restorable to stock if need be. I just leave the little cord on top of my amp for when I use one of those guitars. But you can keep it attached to your regular cord, too.

How much you invest depends on the guitar. I did this to two 1947 Gibsons, which I think were worth the extra cost to avoid compromise. I dislike hanging stuff off the pickguard; it's too flimsy and the cord can get in the way.

User Info Menu

On the bandstand, hanging an instrument cable from a 1/8" plug would concern me unless something is done for strain relief. Here's an inelegant but effective solution. But I'd be tempted to make my own adapter box with the 1/4" jack facing the floor -- the cable would drape better.
    Last edited by KirkP; 08-08-2015 at 01:27 PM.