The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 226

User Info Menu

Very nice Bob, congrats.

That scale length on this guitar is very appealing.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Grrreat pickups! Love staples! Cool guitar too.

User Info Menu

..... and the longer scale places the neck pickup better along the string length for a sweeter tone (at least IMHO).

User Info Menu

WOW! Congrats! I like the idea of the Byrdland body with the 24 3/4 scale length. I have been contemplating a Byrdland and have never seen one of those till now. I'd love to hear how it sounds! Enjoy.

User Info Menu

This one is available at G Club Tokyo for 1,080.000 Yen, roughly $9000.00 plus shipping and fees. Its got the 24 3/4" scale also. Bob Gibson Byrdland-img1_343603-jpg

User Info Menu

That's after 8% sales tax, Sir Bob. The export price on that is JPY1 000 000 ~ USD8292.00 at this weekend's interbank forex rate.

You get a Sir from me for acquiring that spiffy Midnight Blue Byrdland. Booyah!

User Info Menu

Thats better than the rate I had! Its not a bad deal at that price. Shipping is probably $145 plus roughly 4% if payapl is used , even so, not bad at all. I used the Byrdland last night at a jam and I really like it. I didnt notice there was no strap button neck side and it made for somewhat uncomfortable handling but sound wise and play wise , I love it. Now I need to figure out where to put that pesky strap button. Bob

User Info Menu

Get a 4" Neck Up Mini, Sir Bob. No need for that pesky neck heel strap button because I don't want it there and you are going to sell it on to me, aren't ya?

Just yanking ya chain. The best traditional place is either in the heel cap or in the middle of the heel. But you see, them Japanese don't like drilling holes in their archtops either. That's why there isn't one in yours.

Gibson Custom Shop should just make these 24.75" Byrdlands a regular model. I think that it is the perfect size for a fully carved thin archtop and the perfect scale length. I don't like Blue guitars but this Midnight Blue is the exception to the rule. Beautiful!
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 09-26-2015 at 04:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Gibson Byrdland-img_1013-jpgGibson Byrdland-img_1017-jpg

Having recently decided to move on two guitars
    laying dormant, I tried out a new (2015) model.
    Byrdland having first asked the opinion of two
    members here,one a current owner the other a
    Former owner. Their views differed but I needed
    to try one personally. I pxd the two guitars for
    it . The dealer gave a discount of just shy of £2k
    so it was mine. I will say that it's superbly finished
    and from the Custom Crimson Shop. The short
    23.5" scale is not problematic , the neck is much
    fuller than early incarnations and not very far
    removed from my L5's. After some minor set up
    adjustments & restringing with TI's 12's flats it
    has a nice low action and is easy to play , all in
    all I'm happy with it . Acknowledgements to
    Franz 1997 & Vinny1k for their valuable advice.
    I will endeavour to post pix as soon as I'm able
    to.
    Last edited by silverfoxx; 07-08-2016 at 07:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Just curious, is it a standard nut width, roughly 1-11/16 or close?

User Info Menu

Finally played a Byrdland a few years ago and they are nice ......

wish I had the scratch for one ... or for one of those thin body L5s

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I believe it is 1.5/8ths , if its not I'll let you know

User Info Menu

Very pleased for you. These are greats guitars. I've long coveted one. They have one in a local guitar store here, but over 6,000 pounds - about a million dollars these days!

User Info Menu

Silverfox,
    Congratulations !! I've always admired the Byrdland and certainly need to add it in my guitar bucket list. Wishing you the best .

User Info Menu

Steve it is a stretch chord players best friend. :-)

User Info Menu

Alan,
    In addition to stretch chords, I've heard it is easy to fly around the neck on that Guitar too.
    There is pretty much nothing you cant play on that guitar.

I am really happy for you. And even more happy that you are still on the forum. Stay with us. You are a very important member and friend to all of us.

Congratulations on a fine acquisition. Vinny raves about his. I hope you love yours!

Joe D.
    Last edited by Max405; 07-08-2016 at 08:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound

Hi , I have just returned home and measured the nut ,and coincidentally Vinny messaged
    to confirm ,the nut width of the newer models is in fact, the standard 1-11/16ths"

User Info Menu

Alan, Id be interested in your thoughts on the short scale after youve spent some time with her. I have one with a 24 3/4" scale that I thought Id love to death, but is not the case. I tried a few short scale Byrds along the way with the thinner necks and just could not get on with them. Cant seem to bond with the longer scale either!!! Thanks. Bob

User Info Menu

I can't speak for Alan but I always call the Byrdland the fastest neck in the West. East too....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Top of the Arch!
    Alan, Id be interested in your thoughts on the short scale after youve spent some time with her. I have one with a 24 3/4" scale that I thought Id love to death, but is not the case. I tried a few short scale Byrds along the way with the thinner necks and just could not get on with them. Cant seem to bond with the longer scale either!!! Thanks. Bob
    Bob, I just wonder if you are referring to the Byrdland from a couple of years ago I saw on You Tube
    finished in a very nice Blue Colour, fitted with Staple style Alnico pickups?
    I might be quite wrong , but I thought that you acquired it from Japan, where the YT video
    originated.
    Back to this latest Byrdland, I have had only a couple of days. It's a bit early for an in depth
    opinion of it. But, I must say that for me the shorter scale length is perfectly manageable ,
    the nut width is 1.11/16ths". The neck is a much better configuration than the early models
    which as you are aware were too thin for comfortable playing . I reiterate that I am happy
    with this guitar, having had a 1992 Es350T earlier. If you will remind me in a week or two I
    will be able to give a more balanced opinion.

Alan

User Info Menu

Hi Alan, yes, thats the one with the Stapletop P90s. Its got the wider neck and pretty much the same size as my L5 , when I first got it it seemed perfect. The more I played it, the less comfortable I became with it. It sounds and plays great, just cant seem to bond with it I guess. Ill remind you in a few. Id really like to hear your thoughts after youve had it for a bit. Bob

User Info Menu

Congratulations Silver,
    Scale-length controversy aside, I really liked my Epiphone Byrdland, and I have come to regret at times my decision to part with it go a few years ago. I had Lindy Fralin humbuckers in mine, and I liked the sound & play-ability. The real-deal Gibson can only be better! Jeff

User Info Menu

I called Mark Gould and closed the deal on the Byrdland I mentioned the other day in my PSA thread...

Gibson Byrdland-blonde-byrd-1-1-jpgGibson Byrdland-blonde-byrd-2-jpgGibson Byrdland-blonde-byrd-10-jpgGibson Byrdland-blonde-byrd-11-2-jpg

User Info Menu

Congratulations! High speed solos & four-fret chord spans will never be a problem, all while getting great tone!
    I miss my Epi Byrdland BTW.

User Info Menu

Mmmh, tasty Byrdland ... Enjoy!