The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 115

User Info Menu

I just recently acquired my humble rig, which is an Ibanez AF75 into a Peavey Classic 50 4x10. I really like the clean channel on this amp. I also have a Fender Standard Strat that's been a bit neglected since I picked up the Ibanez.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've got
    Ibanez Artcore AS103
    Ibanez RG520
    Yamaha FG402MS cheap acoustic (~200€ I guess), my first guitar and it's actually good for the price
    Cube 30 and a Boss-ME50 for occasional effect wankery, mostly just use the tuner and a really transparent chorus to color up the sound just a tiny tiny bit (as the cube 30 chorus is way too much for my taste even at it's lowest)
    and last my dunlop Zakk Wylde wah
    Last edited by a22; 11-21-2008 at 09:22 PM.

User Info Menu

gibson es 335 with fender blues juinior . can you suggest an effects pedal that will soften and round out my sound
    Last edited by jimmy; 12-12-2008 at 08:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Ibanez AF105
    Ibanez 2120XAV S Prestige

Mesa Boogie Lonestar 2x12

evidence audio cables

User Info Menu

My eastman jim fisch arc805ce, (or something like that)
    I'm ordering new georgle L .225 cables as we speak
    into my '83 or '84 mesa boogie mark 3.
    Thats my main jazz setup, sometimes I switch it up a little, but I play a lot of different music and have different setups for all types (except metal)

User Info Menu

I use various Guitars depends on the sound I want, I have several amps to choose from for Harps I like epi special, for guitar I prefer Marshall, NO not for loud !for presense, My most fav amp is a 50 watt Plexi no bells or whistles, just beautiful tone, none better and I played or have most others

User Info Menu

As far as othere gizmos, I have a few however I end up recordin with just a plug and play sound Ive grown to love

User Info Menu

Click on the train to see a bit more of the gear I use, I do not use any loopers and I use a PK5 to do my bass lines or drums with my feet I use accoustic drums live but digital for recording

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frisellfan19
    Yesterday, I was playing my Peavey Classic 50 head through a Peavey Classic 410E cabinet. This is a quite a setup. Beautiful tone.
    I have a couple classic 50s 2-4/10 and 1-2/12
    This one was my first I got in 92 a week after gettin my baby I was playin a bar in New orleans on friday and saturday nights, I left her there on friday night and the place burnt down I dug her out of the charred smoke damage poured water out of her, cleaned the soot off as much as possiable let her dry for a month with fans blowin on her, and she fired up, no pun ment!!

User Info Menu

you have some serious hardware!

User Info Menu

Well Ive spent 10hrs in the studio today, my wife was ticked,wanted me ta do christmas stuff, But I finished a tune I had been puttin together,(Blue Lady) I used a Marshall Plexi a 1987 model, thru a 1936A 2/12, now this is the amp from heaven I just got it last week and its the Tones Ive been searchin for, I used a 1990 Blues Hawk,for rythem and lead parts, fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I couldn't stop I was in awe of the sounds I was gettin, I used a Hammond B3 and an Alto sax, plus drums!! I do all parts my self, But this is By far the best amp I have ever pluged into!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mmukav
    I'll chime in, even though I'm just getting back into jazz guitar and right now am not in a jazz band or playing jazz live yet.

Ibanez AK85
    Fender Blues Junior

I like a pretty dry jazz guitar tone, so only using a small amount of reverb. I also have a Digitech Digital Delay that I'll be trying out.

For the blues band I'm in I use:

Fender 70's Series Strat
    Gibson SG All American (1 pickup mid 90's model with a single Seymour Duncan '57 PAF type pickup)

Blues Junior, sometimes tandemned up with a 5-Watt Blackheart Little Giant Tube Combo.

Digitech Digital Delay
    Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
    Ibanez Tube Screamer.

Mike
    Hi Mike. I also have a Ibanez AK85. I think it has flats on it and the flats do suit this guitar better than rounds. I have many arch top guitars but I do remember that it has a very good sound acoustically. I think that this is also a guitar the suits the pickups on the top, just as others suit a floating pickup. Great value for money. If I had only one guitar I could live with this.
    I am not a musician as such but love archtops and use Roland cubes as my amps as they are a closed back which is finally becoming very poular for acoustic guitars. I have a number of other acoustic guitars and they suit these kind of amps. I use quite a bit of reverb on a clean sound (JC clean)
    The reverb puts life back into the sound which comes to me via the front of the speaker without much reflected sound bouncing of the walls that I would get with a open back. I think the open back amp was introduced in the days when they wanted the sound to bounce of the wall behind them.
    If you want to chat, my direct email is richard@showbizsound.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mmukav
    I'll chime in, even though I'm just getting back into jazz guitar and right now am not in a jazz band or playing jazz live yet.

Ibanez AK85
    Fender Blues Junior

I like a pretty dry jazz guitar tone, so only using a small amount of reverb. I also have a Digitech Digital Delay that I'll be trying out.

For the blues band I'm in I use:

Fender 70's Series Strat
    Gibson SG All American (1 pickup mid 90's model with a single Seymour Duncan '57 PAF type pickup)

Blues Junior, sometimes tandemned up with a 5-Watt Blackheart Little Giant Tube Combo.

Digitech Digital Delay
    Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
    Ibanez Tube Screamer.

Mike
    Hi Mike. I also have a Ibanez AK85. I think it has flats on it and the flats do suit this guitar better than rounds. I have many arch top guitars but I do remember that it has a very good sound acoustically. I think that this is also a guitar the suits the pickups on the top, just as others suit a floating pickup. Great value for money. If I had only one guitar I could live with this.
    I am not a musician as such but love archtops and use Roland cubes as my amps as they are a closed back which is finally becoming very poular for acoustic guitars. I have a number of other acoustic guitars and they suit these kind of amps. I use quite a bit of reverb on a clean sound (JC clean)
    The reverb puts life back into the sound which comes to me via the front of the speaker without much reflected sound bouncing of the walls that I would get with a open back. I think the open back amp was introduced in the days when they wanted the sound to bounce of the wall behind them.
    If you want to chat, my direct email is richard@showbizsound.com

User Info Menu

This is fun!

I use a Guild Manhattan X-170 and Guild Starfire IV, both with D'Addario chrome flat wound 13s through a Roland Cube 60.

I also use a Loar LH-550 (my avatar pic) which is an all solid wood L-5 copy made in Korea. It was the first archtop I bought when I forayed into jazz guitar as it was the lowest priced all solid archtop I could find. I use D'addario Half-rounds on that and get great electric and acoustic sounds for Freddie Green comping. I love this little guitar and often just play it unplugged.

I also have a Fender American Standard Strat (from my rock and blues days), a couple of classicals (from my classical days), a fretless Fender MIM jazz bass, a banjo, and an octave mandolin (from my bluegrass days). Oh yeah can't forget the Kramer Focus from my metal days back in the '80s. Glad those days are over....

Recently I picked up a '73 Fender Princeton Reverb which sounds great but needs new capacitors which I haven't gotten around to yet. I am looking forward to seeing how that one sounds playing jazz.

User Info Menu

Right now, I only play jazz at home. For that I have my Ibanez AK 86 which I play through an Allen Old Flame. I use this amp for everything.

Playing live, I use different guitars based on the genre I am in. These include:

Fender Telecaster
    Fender Esquire
    Fender Strat
    Love Rock LP clone
    Ibanez AK 86

For effects, I use a modified Boss compressor, a Fulldrive II and an Echo Park delay.

Sometimes I use a Line 6 Pod X3 Live as my effects box.

In the end, I have found that my sound is mostly based on me and my playing. A totally different set of gear choices would probably yield minimal sonic differences when all is said and done.

User Info Menu

I have a few guitars and I like to rotate them.
    1962 Barney Kessel
    Eastman AR 803
    1975 Gibson ES 345
    D'Angelico NYSD

I mainly use Fender amps
    Vibrolux Reverb
    Pro Reverb, modified with bassman transformer
    Super Reverb
    Roland AC 60 for small gigs or PA use.
    Always a little delay Carl Martin Red Repeat

Oh Daddario Chromes 13's on my bigger archtops and Daddario 11s on all my other guitars.

User Info Menu

2355 Ibanez
    Polytone Mini Brute
    Tomastik .014 flatwound
    low action on fingerboard
    5 fingers on left hand for to fret the notes as they flow from my brain
    5 fingers on right hand to hold pick..which I use most of the time...but at times I will play like Joe Pass or Wes Montgomery (octaves you know)
    cheapo classicial guitar I use when playing in the style of Charlie Byrd in jazz but also play classical guitar..
    time on your instrument........pierre

User Info Menu

The Question was brought up earlier, How Does it record??,, well thats my main issue with amps ,guitars etc.
    Live sound and studio sound is 2 different animals, I mainly stay in the studio, I do all my parts, Bass,Sax,Rythem,Lead,Organ,Piano,keyboards etc,
    Your eq, from Mic's connecting cables to instruments,all Play a part in the big picture.
    For rythem guitar, I have better recording success with single coil pickups,due to the clearity, Or mic an accoustic, this is a good sound,
    Now for amps, on harps, I use a mic' directly into the Korg recorder for a sharp clean sound, Or I use a Epi valve Special 5watt to get that Chicago dirty sound,I also use straight harps for a fuller honk
    For guitar amp, I look for a focused beam but full, I have several, Right now Iam very Pleased with the Marshall Plexi,into a 1936 2/12 cab, this records very well, I love the tone of this recorded
    I record DRY, no effects what so ever, I can add reverb or various effects afterward, However if the effect is recorded you can't take it away,And I have full control of what effect I can try one or another and control saturation,.. but thats just me and how I like to do it,

Hello everyone my guitar setup has been changed in the last two months :
    guitar : i still use the telecaster and hand -made custom guitar
    effect : ibanez tubescreamer- boss dd3 - danelectro echo - danelectro chorus - digitech whammy - big muff pi - crybaby wah
    amp : i bought an old Fender Stage 185 made in 1985 - it is really an awesome amp.
    take care

User Info Menu

Fender MIJ Telecaster ('50s style w/Bigsby)
    Yamaha SA503TVL (semi, 3 P90s, Bigsby)

>

Electro Harmonix Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai
    Foxrox ZIM
    Boss OD-2 Turbo Overdrive
    Boss TR-2 Tremolo
    Line 6 DL4 (with an Ernie Ball VPJr as an expression pedal)
    Boss RC-2 Looper

>

Lexicon LXP-1

>

Roland Cube 60

User Info Menu

My most used gear:

Guitar:
    70ies Condor (Japanese ES175 clone), modified with Golden Age humbuckers
    or
    1976 Framus Sorento (German ES330-like thinline), completely original with Framus single-coils (very much like P90's)

Effects:
    Mostly none, just a little reverb from the amp.
    In my groove-jazz group I sparely use:
    Vox 487 wah, Boss Tremolo, Ibanez delay and tubescreamer, Boss Bluesdriver.

Amp:
    choice of:
    70ies Guyatone Twin Reverb clone (great amp!)
    90ies Fender Blues Deluxe (very good amp, sweet)
    2008 Epiphone Blues Custom (overall very decent and powerfull with some harder to find sweet spots)
    2008 Roland Cube 30x (mostly used on the jazz-gigs and sessions in combination with the Condor)

Strings:
    0.012 from whatever brand available, usually D'Adadario Chromes, but I like Thomastik Infield as well.

Pick:
    Dunlop JD 207

I like my necks straight and my action low. The tone-control on my guitars is almost all the way down. Usually I roll my volume a little back too.

User Info Menu

who said "keep it simple"..??

1977 Ibanez 2355 (ES-175) into a 1985 Polytone Mini Brute....touch of reverb and thats it..

time on the instrument if wonderful time....pierre

User Info Menu

Don't worry, 90% of the time I keep it simple, trusted old Condor into the Cube.... and just play!

User Info Menu

Well, I made a few changes since last post...traded my ES175 for an Epiphone Elitist Byrdland and added the new reissue of the Fender Princeton-Reverb...all I can add is the combination is incredible and I can't put that guitar down! I also got a digitech vocalist lv4 which I use with the polytone for crisp clear harmonizing vocals...I'm in heaven in my old age!!

User Info Menu

I'm thinking about picking up a Nanoverb lately, they seem to sound really great. I like my Verbzilla but you know guitarists, 1 is never enough.

Any thoughts on the Alexis nanoverb?