The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 115

User Info Menu

well, i do like a little reverb--i'm usually cool with whatever the amp has to offer. sometimes a room will be very "live" and i'll turn it off though (a few stages i've played on that actually have good acoustics have needed no additional reverb IMHO...my monthly tea house-dead room gig needs some)

as for vibrato with heavy strings, trad. jazz guys didn't use a whole lot of vibrato (outside of django, of course) personally, i like to have to fight the guitar a little to bend a string or shake a note--i physically have to put a little more "feeling" into it.

i'm one of those tele jazz guys, which i think are pretty well respected as a fine solid body choice for a jazz guitar. anything does go, the key is to always support the music...i like what fris said about "making the people you're playing with sound better." that's it right there!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I"m in the same boat with Mr. Beaumont when it comes to guitars. I like Fender Telecasters, but I mostly play Strats, which I think both guitars produce a great jazz tone.

In regards to what Overlord said, there are people like Bill Frisell, Pat Metheny, John Scofield, and Pat Metheny who aren't afraid to use effects, then you have more traditionalists like Peter Bernstein, Russell Malone, Anthony Wilson, etc., who use a very minimum, if any, amount of effects. It's always like that saying "Different strokes for different folks."

I personally fall somewhere inbetween, because I love effects, but I also love getting a very warm, more traditional jazz tone. It's just all a matter of what you hear in your head and what you like.

I like John Abercrombie's tone on Charles Lloyd's "Voice In The Night." Beautiful recording that every jazz fan should own if you don't already.

Last edited by frisellfan19; 11-01-2008 at 12:38 AM.

Ray C. Guest
    It's a bit of a mantra for me, but to me it's all about the composition. What's right for the tune and the arrangement. To put it another, yes, we all strive for our sound, but do you understand/appreciate the context that your sound should apply to? And how willing are you to sublimate your sound (ego?) for the sake of the song? In many ways this is the hallmark of being a mature player. It's a tricky balance, that plays into a setup and gear choice. Saying "no" isn't always easy.

I mostly play a G&L ASAT Tele, through a Roland Cube 60. I have a Dyna Comp MXR compression box, BOSS BD-2 Blues Driver distortion, Vox wah pedal, and an Ernie Ball volume pedal. Clean channel is set for my jazz tone; Tweed model I like for blues, country & rock tone (don't really care for any of the other models). I do like some reverb in all styles.

I also have a little 5watt Epiphone tube amp that I jumped up, that I like for that Derek & The Dominoes tone that Clapton got using an Fender Champ. But that's basically it. As much as I love Frisell and Metheny, I could never imagine owning/taking all that gear on the road. I'm shopping for a 335 or similar guitar to add to a Les Paul that I also have. I also will add a 30w tube amp of some kind. But I'm pretty happy with this setup-even with its limitations, that short term can bug me, but long term, I know I really represent what I think of as my sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ray C.
    It's a bit of a mantra for me, but to me it's all about the composition. What's right for the tune and the arrangement. To put it another, yes, we all strive for our sound, but do you understand/appreciate the context that your sound should apply to? And how willing are you to sublimate your sound (ego?) for the sake of the song? In many ways this is the hallmark of being a mature player. It's a tricky balance, that plays into a setup and gear choice. Saying "no" isn't always easy.

I mostly play a G&L ASAT Tele, through a Roland Cube 60. I have a Dyna Comp MXR compression box, BOSS BD-2 Blues Driver distortion, Vox wah pedal, and an Ernie Ball volume pedal. Clean channel is set for my jazz tone; Tweed model I like for blues, country & rock tone (don't really care for any of the other models). I do like some reverb in all styles.

I also have a little 5watt Epiphone tube amp that I jumped up, that I like for that Derek & The Dominoes tone that Clapton got using an Fender Champ. But that's basically it. As much as I love Frisell and Metheny, I could never imagine owning/taking all that gear on the road. I'm shopping for a 335 or similar guitar to add to a Les Paul that I also have. I also will add a 30w tube amp of some kind. But I'm pretty happy with this setup-even with its limitations, that short term can bug me, but long term, I know I really represent what I think of as my sound.

I think it's important to find your own sound whether be some kind of effect or technique you use that makes you sound different, if finding a tone that can help you sound better, so be it, I'm all for that. I think it's great when musicians work on their tone. It's important to work on music, but if you have a tone that just sucks all of your creativity out of you, then what's really the point of playing? So I think both of them go hand in hand, one doesn't outweigh the other, because they're both equally important.

I can't listen to somebody who doesn't have a good tone, but I don't want to listen to somebody who doesn't have an interesting approach to music either, so it's just trying to find a balance.

Hey Jake Hanlon, I know you're a big Abercrombie nut, what do you think of his playing on Charles Lloyd's "Voice In The Night"? Do you have all the albums by Charles Lloyd that Abercrombie played on? I have all of them, but "Voice In The Night" is by far my favorite.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mangotango
    Currently:

Epiphone Joe Pass with Gibson pickups, Thomastik Swing 12's
    Epiphone Orville Electro-Acoustic, D'Addario strings

Vox Valvetronix 60, modelling amp with programmeable onboard effects
    or
    Ashdown G40R 40wt ss combo for rehearsals and small stuff. I may use a Boss CE chorus with that depending on the gig.

For Blues gigs, I have a 1991 Fender Strat Plus and a Gibson SG Melody Maker with a P90 instead of the stock p/u's, the latter being kept in open G for bottleneck. Both strung with D'Addario's.
    Actually, as of last week, I now have a D'Angelico NYL-5 as the main guitar. Which is gorgeous, sounds wonderful and is so good to play.

User Info Menu

My setup:

Fender Stratocaster (not pictured)

Old Morley volume pedal (not sure what the date of it is):

Boss ME-50 (for distortions and delays):

Lexicon MPX-110 (for reverb only):

Jay Turser Classic 25 RC:

User Info Menu

Other pedals I have used and still use periodically:

TC Electronic Vintage Compressor (the best compression I have ever heard):

Line 6 DL4 Delay Modeler (for loops and repeating reverse delays):

Electro-Harmonix Memory Man with Hazarai (for loops and warped sounds):

Guyatone Slow Volume (I've used this pedal to create violin-like, swelled type of sounds):

Last edited by frisellfan19; 11-09-2008 at 05:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Frisell19

I have heard all those CD's. I love it. In fact not to name drop or anthing but John really likes that CD and really dug playing with that band. He liked the one with Mehldau as well but he said to me he felt a little like a 5th wheel and would have preferred the album where he got to comp more... understandable.

I love Charles Llyod and only last year discovered him thanks in huge part to some friends at grad school who put together a tribute band playing the music off those CD's and I was quite mezmorized.

There's a great Youtube video of Lloyd and Abercrombie online also.

Memory man is a great pedal. If I was getting into that sort of thing that's what I'd buy.

I'm getting closer to just going ahead and buying the DL4 only because I want the expression pedal.

User Info Menu

Yeah, Jake, I read that about Abercrombie, from one of his interviews. He said he liked "Voice in the Night," but he felt that the band with Geri Allen on piano from the "Lift Every Voice" session felt more like a band to him, but I will say from my own listening experience that Abercrombie's contributions to "The Water Is Wide" are noteworthy, he may have not felt like they were, but he played an interesting contrasting role in that session.

The Memory Man With Hazarai is a great pedal. I can get a lot of really warped sounds from it. The Line 6 DL4 is also a cool pedal that you can do a lot with, but I have had a lot of technical issues with it, especially with the metal footswitches, which aren't really well made, but I don't really use these pedals much anymore.

User Info Menu

My current setup is: '69 Gibson L-5CES, '76 Gibson Johnny Smith, "59 Gibson ES-330T, '38 Gibson L-12, Eastman AR810-CE-7, Mid 90's Gibson ES-165 (w/in top pickup), DeVoe thin line with cut in p/u, Gary Flowers 18" non-cut (local Baltimore Luthier-built also museum cases and sets for TV shows like "The Wire").

I use Klotz cables, Acouctic Image Clarus II series 3 amp with a Raezers Edge Twin 8 cab also a Redstone Audio RS-12 cab, a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue, An old Fender Twin Reverb, a 62 Gibson GA79RVT amp.

I don't use effects.

Of all these the ES-165 & L-5CES sound best amplified. The ES-1665 is more "bell like", the L-5 is "woodier". The ES-165 gets snaps for comfort and playability though. Of the acoustics the Gary Flowers sounds best.

So time I'll tell the story of how my L5 was stolen and I ended up with the Johnny Smith and got the L5 back- a happy stolen gear story.

Fritz

User Info Menu

Man, Fritzjazz, you have some nice gear!

I bet you get a good tone.

User Info Menu

OK, I'll play...

I play two Koll DL Thinline guitars. These were custom-made for me by Portland, OR luthier extraordinaire Saul Koll. The DLs are small-bodied instruments (roughly the size of a Gibson ES-336) with carved top and back and bent sides. The construction is a hybrid, halfway between a semi-hollow and a true hollowbody. Both instruments have maple bodies and ebony fingerboards. One has a maple neck, P-90 pickups and a Bigsby tailpiece. The other has a mahogany neck, humbucker pickups and a stop tailpiece with fine-tuners.

My amp is an AER Compact 60.

I prefer to play through the venue's PA when I play out. I bring along my own active DI just in case the venue doesn't have one. So far I haven't needed to use mine.

I keep a few pedals on hand in case I want to change the "color" of my guitar's sound or otherwise add a bit of sonic "spice":

- Boss RE-20 Space Echo
    - Boss RT-20 Rotary Sound Processor
    - Electro-Harmonix Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai
    - Digitech Digiverb Reverb
    - Rocktron Deep Blue Chorus

I usually hook these up one or two at a time depending upon what kind of sound I want. I don't have (or want) a pedalboard.

That's it for the my gear that gets regular use. This is most of my gear. I have a few more pieces that I keep because I know that not having them will be an inconvenience at some point. As a rule, though, I sell gear that I don't use regularly.

User Info Menu

I have been playing this beauty lately...

Fender Super Six Reverb

User Info Menu

how much does it weigh?

User Info Menu

I'm not sure but it takes two people to carry it somewhere.

User Info Menu

98 pounds... Yikes!

Amp Guide » Super Six Reverb

User Info Menu

I leave it in one spot and one spot only in my music room. It doesn't move and I don't intend on moving it any time soon or at least not without some help.

Having said that, it's a beautiful sounding amplifier. I use it for recording.

User Info Menu

98 pounds??? That's not an amp, that's furniture. Looks cool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe
    98 pounds??? That's not an amp, that's furniture. Looks cool.

Yeah, it's heavy, but it sounds amazing. Like I mentioned, I only use it for recording.

User Info Menu

Fris,
    that's a bloody monster man!!
    But i bet she's sweet.

Mega.

Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mike walker
    Fris,
    that's a bloody monster man!!
    But i bet she's sweet.

Mega.

Mike

Oh yeah, Mike, she's a thing of beauty let me tell ya!

I've been playing with this afternoon and I was messing with some repeating reverse delay stuff and I swear it sounded just like Bill Frisell!

User Info Menu

Yesterday, I was playing my Peavey Classic 50 head through a Peavey Classic 410E cabinet. This is a quite a setup. Beautiful tone.

User Info Menu

Here is my list (I hope someone is doing some statistics):

-Gibson ES 175 (2008)
    -Fender American Stratocaster (1999)
    -Ovation Ultra (1989)
    -Ibanez AS83 (2006). I'll sell it.
    -Solo Gemini (1968), an Italian semihollow with 3 PU, my first electric and my worst guitar. I'll never sell it.
    -EKO Ranger 12 string (more or less 1970)

My amps:

-Roland Cube 60
    -Marshall JTM 60

-Effects: CryBaby
    -Pedals: Boss RC-2 looper, very useful to practice

...and a number oh harmonicas, both chromatic and diatonic. And a kazoo.
    Bye.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frisellfan19
    Yesterday, I was playing my Peavey Classic 50 head through a Peavey Classic 410E cabinet. This is a quite a setup. Beautiful tone.
    that peavey classic series are some great sounding, affordable amps. i dig 'em.

i played in a band with a guy who used that exact head and cab. he wasn't much of a player, and was always too loud, but he always had a good tone!

User Info Menu

At least there was one redeeming factor.