The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 137

User Info Menu

I've been thinking about buying an acoustic archtop guitar.

I've tried out quite a few starting with Selmer/Macaferri types (pricerange under € 1000 models) and recently budget archtops from Godin (5th Avenue) and Epiphone.

Somehow I came across the The Loar and they seem to have some great looking and sweet sounding guitar the LH-600.

I believe they're made in China, but hand-made in China.

The LH-600 is all hand-carved (no laminations) and costs around €850!

Has anybody played this instrument? There seem to be very little reviews or testimonials about these guitars on the net.

I think this company is pretty young which could be an explanation.

The Loar Acoustic Archtops-loar-lh-600-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I actually am trying to find one of the cutaway archtops to try out myself. From what I have heard they are very high quality.

User Info Menu

Non of the instrument shops in my area are carrying this brand of guitars..
    I am thinking about ordering without having played one.. I would normaly never do this especially on an acoustic instrument, but I'm so blown away by the look and sound (check the demo on their website)of these guitars (and the pricetag) that maybe I can't go wrong.
    Allthough.. This afternoon I went to a local music shop and tried out the godin 5th avenue (again).
    They had 3 'identical' models in the shop and they all sounded and feld differently... so maybe ordering one without ever seeing let alone playing one is a bad idea.. not sure yet.

Good luck on your quest to find one for testing, please let us know if you do

User Info Menu

with the bigger, deeper bodies and solid woods, these loars will sound a lot better than the godin as an acoustic guitar.

that said, I stand by my godin kingpin as a fine electric archtop.

Both brands are definitely going after the "old school" market with these, eh? I'd like to see the loar do an ES-350 style, with a CC pickup, as I'm not generally a fan of kent armstrong type floating pickups...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I can't speak for the Loar archtop guitars, but I bought a Loar mandolin last year and have been very happy with it. I'm not a mandolin player, this was my first venture into the field, but I didn't want a real beater or poor sounding instrument. I have established a good relationship with an independent online (and brick and mortar) dealer who carries their mandos and asked him about them (compared to one or two other makes he carries). He recommended them. I bought the next to top model, solid top but pressed rather than carved. He knew I was willing to pay the extra for the carved top but he thought I'd be happy with the pressed model and he was right.
    So, if their guitars are as nice as their mandos, probably okay. Oh, one other thing, this particular dealer plays all the instruments he ships before shipping and sets them up to his satisfaction, so I can't say how they are setup from the factory. He doesn't stock archtop guitars, though, but I might email him and see if he has had any experience with them. It might be nice to have an acoustic archtop I can take places my Artist Award might be in danger, so to speak.
    Brad

User Info Menu

I bought a Loar (cutaway with floating pickup) from an online merchant. Beautiful guitar, and seemed to be well-built, EXCEPT for a few serious problems that rendered it unplayable. I never figured out exactly what all the problems were, but:
    When I got it, the bridge was ridiculously high on one side and all the way down on the other. The scary thing is that the strings were almost level across the neck. The side that was all the way down was still too high and wouldn't go any lower.
    I tried all the basic adjustments: bridge, truss rod, etc., but the best I could get was a high action that still buzzed. A good luthier MIGHT have been able to do something with it, but I'm not sure. I sent it back. It was quite a disappointment. As far as the acoustic qualities, while I never got a clear sound from it, what I could hear was not impressive. I've played the Godins, and I think their acoustic sound would be in the ballpark.
    I hate to slam the Loar, as it was a gorgeous instrument, but that was my experience. Hopefully mine was a freak exception that slipped through quality control.

User Info Menu

I've given in to temptation and tracked down both the Godin and then the LH600 as soon as they were announced - both the noncutaway acoustic variety. The Loar, not surprisingly, is noticeably better as an acoustic instrument. My VH600 came from Thomann and haven't had any problems with it. The neck is 'V' shaped with a 1.3/4 nut and good quality vintage tuners. It comes with a zipped soft case that is half-way between a hard case and a gig bag. Unplayability is not something they are likely to build in to the design is it, so any guitar should be sent back if it has problems. I suppose the question is how many (what proportion) have problems. I don't know the answer to that. Thomann appear to be selling enough of them, and their returns policy should give you confidence. Have you seen the following videos - demonstation by Paul Mehling and what seems to be a brief account of how they set the company up.

User Info Menu

Thanks RAQ,
    That was the last push I needed, I will be ordering my The Loar today from Thomann.

G

User Info Menu

The Loar guitars have some serious quality issues. When I was designing my archtops and designing and comparing the sample, I went out and did a lot of comparison. Was underwhelmed by the Loar instruments.

User Info Menu

SHE'S HERE!!!

Today a courier brought the The Loar LH 600 ordered from Thomann in germany without ever playing one...
    I chose the one with the natural finish. I don't like sun- or any other bursts.. I think they look kind of kitchy on a guitar, but that is just me.

Shaking hands when opening the box and than... brrr..what a gorgeous guitar.

The v-shaped neck I feared the most since I am used to U shaped necks.
    I tried to imagine what a v-shape would feel like and I figured I might like it..well I do!
    It gives great support on the thumb and still enough space on the other fingers to move around comfortably.

The sound is fat. the guitar really feels solid and that's how it sounds.

We are only getting to know each other, and the guitar still feels a little stiff but I am looking forward to playing it and getting to know the guitar.

Thanks for all replies that helped me choosing this guitar.

The Loar Acoustic Archtops-loar-lh-600-n-jpg

User Info Menu

That natural finish is like honey! Congratulations!

EDIT: no pickguard? Is one an option?
    Last edited by BigDaddyLoveHandles; 06-16-2010 at 03:33 PM.

User Info Menu

I know I'm old school, but that's a FINE looking instrument. Once you bond, give a fuller review, mmkay?

User Info Menu

baltar, by stiff i mean NEW.
    It needs a little waxing from my finger's sweat and skinn...
    This is a pretty robust feeling guitar, the neck is pretty thick if you are used to thin u shapes, but like I said it is very comfortable playing.

Get yourself one it is a lot of guitar compeared to other acoustic guitars in this pricerange.

G

User Info Menu

My issue.. enough negative comments that I would have to try before I buy.

That said their cutaway 16 looks (on paper anyway) like a fine guitar.
    Happy NGD!

Drew

User Info Menu

This is a thread veer, but last Saturday I was in a local shop and played a Loar flattop. It was a really nice playing and sounding instrument. I do know that the store owner sets up instruments he gets in, so that could explain the playing, but not the sound. If I didn't already own four flattop guitars I would have been sorely tempted to buy this one. The same dealer said he has a couple of their archtops on order, so I'll have to check them out when he gets them.
    Brad

User Info Menu

Geert:

That neck does feel a little strange at first, and is wider than most modern designs, but I think you'll get used to it. I've found my thumb takes up a position on one side of the 'V' instead of a more 'centre neck' position, and that takes some getting used to, but is really comfortable once you do. It's all part of the 1930's styling I suppose. I'm glad you like it, and as they say in one of the videos, it should only improve with age.

User Info Menu

Hi,
    I've just registered on this forum, as I found your post ina ggole search.
    A little while ago I bought a "the Loar" LH-600VSB from ashop via e-bay.

I liked the look of it (I'd love a real '30s L-5) and the soud was, well, loud, if not yet "vintage" The neck was bulky but I like bulky. I was a little concerned with the minimal neck angle and had to file down the bridge to get adequate movement for action etc. I figure that if the neck needs a reset a little earlier - it will still "see me" (and my pal) out.

Then a friend in the US bought an LH-700VSB and sent me impresive pics.
    So, I'm selling my 600 to a friend - because I believe it is sound, and I wanted the slightly more fancy 700.

I found a supplier in Germany who sent me one, but it appears shop-soiled (scratches and dents) but also there are some finish faults. However, it plays well, and the neck is even nicer.

They are prepared to send me another - so I'm going to return this one and see what the next one looks like. I'm doing this because I believe these guitars have the potential to sound really nice with a good set of mediums, and a careful set up.

I also have an Eastman which is somewhat more sophisticated, but twice the price.

So, as far as Loars are concerned, I'd say check 'em out but don't buy unseen unless you have a return agreement - I guess they are really pretty handmade to have such imperfections.

User Info Menu

I tried a Loar LH-300, I think it's the lowest price model, this afternoon. I only had a few minutes, but it impressed me. I would seriously consider it if I were in the market for another acoustic archtop. I was especially surprised at how much bass response there was. At some point I'd like to do an A/B with my Artist Award. The AA is much punchier, but working from memory the Loar was mellower and had more of a flattop acoustic sound to it. The Loars are definitely on my list as guitars to consider in the future.
    Brad

User Info Menu

I have tried out the Loar LH-300 and LH-500 in stores and thought they were a lot like Gibson L48/50 (solid top versions) for sound. Reminded me also of a '51 L4C I had.
    Beautiful looking. I believe the tops are pressed solid, but the upline models may be carved.
    I like the V necks.
    The LH-600 gets lacquer finish vs poly, but I couldn't tell much difference in sound between the 500 and 300 I tried.

I've owned the Godin 5th Ave and Kingpin II versions and liked them, but of course the solid spruce on the Loars give them an advantage: it's close though, and in the same price range.

I'm glad to see these types of guitars being produced and affordable. I think a non-cutaway archtop sitting in a corner looks very inviting to pick up and play ('course, I'm a geezer).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backliner
    I have tried out the Loar LH-300 and LH-500 in stores and thought they were a lot like Gibson L48/50 (solid top versions) for sound. Reminded me also of a '51 L4C I had.
    Beautiful looking. I believe the tops are pressed solid, but the upline models may be carved.
    When I was at the store yesterday, the owner looked it up in his manufacturer's catalogue, and even the 300 is listed as carved solid top, so I guess they are.
    Brad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Moustache
    ... I believe these guitars have the potential to sound really nice with a good set of mediums, and a careful set up...
    hi
    I've got an LH600.
    I strung it with some 013-056 ghs vintage bronze.
    which careful setup do suggest?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brad4d8
    When I was at the store yesterday, the owner looked it up in his manufacturer's catalogue, and even the 300 is listed as carved solid top, so I guess they are.
    Brad

So the only difference is lacquer vs poly finish. Cool.
    Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backliner
    So the only difference is lacquer vs poly finish. Cool.
    Thanks.
    The wood quality is different. The 700 in particular has AAA spruce top and AAA maple? back and sides, I would imagine A on the 300 and AA on the 600, but I don't recall if it said in the catalogue, 300 might be laminated B&S, too, again I don't know if it said.
    Brad

Gosh, I'd love to get one, as a gigging guitar, my archtop is a wee bit... Fragile, being 60 years old, but I'm also afraid, because I'm spoiled. Mine's a '49 L-5 no cutaway.