The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29

User Info Menu

UPDATE: A few days into these strings, and I'm noticing they rattle and vibrate a lot more at the tailpiece than the strings I was using before...time to get some felt out!

I like the sound of these strings more than I like the way they feel. I have a hunch I'm going to buy some bronze flatwound G strings and continue with Elixers for the rest of the set and see if that sounds balanced. The wound strings feel very rough to me, much rougher than a PB set of D'Addairos (and definitely rougher than the coated Elixirs...)

Too bad, they really sound good. I'm definitely gonna have to experiment with that G string...I think TI has that one figured out.

Guess I'll have to experiment a bit. Gee, hope Jimmy Bruno doesn't scold me

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    The wound strings feel very rough to me, much rougher than a PB set of D'Addairos (and definitely rougher than the coated Elixirs...)
    I have never tried the following, and frankly, it sounds like goat plop to me, but some people claim that new strings that are rough can be smoothed up by by sliding a piece of glass -- like a water glass -- back and forth between the nut and the bridge for three or four minutes. In fact, some of them swear by this polishing treatment whenever they put on new strings.

You might try it. If you ruin one of your wife's favorite tumblers, you didn't hear about this from me.

User Info Menu

Hey, I just was getting out a Thomastik BB 021 and it is roundwound, just like the label says.

I have used this type of string as a G in a BB 112 set to replace the absurd plain .020 G string. But the BB 021 has been flatwound in the single strings I have bought for several years now.

So now I have some BB 021 strings that are flat wound (but labeled Round) and some that are really round.

The US distributor feels that the flats are a mistake and that they should be round as labeled.

Too bad. I love the balanced sound of the flat G in an otherwise round "BeBop" set.

The mis-labeled BB 021 seem to be just an earlier production mistake from Vienna and not a brilliant (in my opinion) mix of strings in a set.

Now I have a few BB 021 strings that were correctly made and packaged, but will whine a bit.

Chris

User Info Menu

I had a set of Plectrum 13-61 on the way when this thread was started, so I was curious to see what I ended up with. My set, save for the E and B strings, are all roundwound.

I've been very happy with the Spectrum 13-57's on my 5th Avenue but wanted to try this set with flats. So much for that. We'll see how it goes.