The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 129

User Info Menu

I use planet waves although monsters really probably are better. if they're crapping out take them back to where you bought them and they should replace them, they ahve a life time warranty

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I use Evidence cables and and am happy to plug them.
    Tony Farinella is a really nice guy.
    Small independent company (one guy) who puts together a quality product.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Hanlon
    I use planet waves although monsters really probably are better. if they're crapping out take them back to where you bought them and they should replace them, they ahve a life time warranty
    Agree to everything here. I just use the cheapest Planet Waves series and I also have a dual core Planet Waves cable, I use them because when they break I can send them back to Planet Waves and they send me a new one for free.

User Info Menu

I've used George L's for a few years now without any problems. You can either buy pre-made cables, or create your own custom length ones (which is what I do). I like the thinner .155 width version.

User Info Menu

When I researched this topic, I had to go through dozens of sources who seemed to basically be selling snake oil. What I found was that the only factor which changed the sound in a way I could clearly hear was the amount of capacitance transmitted by a cable.

I then looked for the cable with the lowest possible capacitance I could find so that I would provide as much of my natural tone as possible. What I found made me quite happy. I found reviews for cables that cost in the hundreds, but they were not necessarily the lowest capacitance cables available. The lowest capacitance i found in any cable was that of the Elixir Cables.

Here is a link to a page which uses some cork sniffing vocabulary to describe cables, but it'll give you some idea as to what is out there and the range of prices you can expect to find.

Guitar Cable Roundup, Part Two - Premier Guitar

Guitar Cable Roundup, Part Two - Page 2 - Premier Guitar

User Info Menu

I've stayed away from things like Monster Cable. When I had a recording studio briefly there was a short period when Monster Cable speaker cables were all the rage, at what seemed like hundreds of dollars for relatively short cables. Patch cables too. Some producers were demanding that studios use Monster Cables. Some studios in LA would get Monster Cables and just lay them on the floor from one rack to another because no one could ever prove that the Monster Cable actually sounded different, let alone better, than 14 or 16 gauge zip cord. And this was with at least one studio building a switch box to compare cables with and doing a public trial.

For guitar cable I have mostly used raw Belden cable and Switchcraft phone plugs and soldered them up myself. Handy skill to have, to be able to make and fix them.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Thanks for the suggestions so far, everyone! I'm looking through some of these brands and definitely checking out that Premier Guitar cable roundup.

Feel free to keep the suggestions and info coming, I'll do my best to check out everyone's recommendation.

If anyone has owned a few different cables and compared them (either in tone or in durability) definitely share your findings. I'm sure that a lot of these cables would be better than what I have now, but we're always looking for the most bang for our buck

User Info Menu

I've had George L's, Canare, and Elixir cables. The Elixir were the best of the bunch being that they had the lowest capacitance and had the brightest sound. The George L's were next, and the Canare were a bit darker than the others.

I would recommend the Canare based on its low price, but it is a touch darker than the other cables.

One thing to keep in mind is that the difference between a really bright cable and a really dark one is slight and can be adjusted for with a slight adjustment in EQ. Since I typically go for a brighter sound without rolling back on my tone knobs, I gravitate towards the brightest cable.

Once I posted the info on Elixir cables, I went online to see about buying a backup and found that they have been discontinued. The only ones you'll find are new old stock. What a pity.

User Info Menu

I can't recommend one cable over another, and I don't subscribe to the snake oil that sells many of the expensive cables. But, I can suggest BH Photo Video as a place to order them. They have a cool cable finder: Cable Finder - choose connector | B&H Photo

I use inexpensive Planet Waves cables and haven't had any trouble.

User Info Menu

I've used Mogami, Monster, and I just bought a set of Livewires (Elite). The Livewires are lifetime guaranteed.

http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/cablechoice.shtml
    Last edited by zigzag; 10-02-2012 at 10:16 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm a big Lyric Evidence Audio cable fan:

The Evidence Audio Cables Review | Scientific Aesthetic

I second that Tony is a terrific and responsive in every way.

I have a Forte cable on the way and will soon review it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by robertm2000
    I've stayed away from things like Monster Cable. When I had a recording studio briefly there was a short period when Monster Cable speaker cables were all the rage, at what seemed like hundreds of dollars for relatively short cables. Patch cables too. Some producers were demanding that studios use Monster Cables. Some studios in LA would get Monster Cables and just lay them on the floor from one rack to another because no one could ever prove that the Monster Cable actually sounded different, let alone better, than 14 or 16 gauge zip cord. And this was with at least one studio building a switch box to compare cables with and doing a public trial.

For guitar cable I have mostly used raw Belden cable and Switchcraft phone plugs and soldered them up myself. Handy skill to have, to be able to make and fix them.
    If one paid a visit to Audiogon, the web's premiere audiophile site, they'd encounter a 5 decade old debate about "quality" hi-end cables, some as much as $20k for a 2 foot pair, vs. regular 14 gauge zip cord from your local Radio Shack. Perhaps some audiophile cable myths at some point infiltrated recording studio's? It's not surprising for cable debates have gone on longer that I've been an audiophile, which has been too many decades to mention. Snake oil salesmen however aren't restricted to audio or guitar gear. They're everywhere....especially in the political arena...but I won't go there!

User Info Menu

George L´s cables are the best IMHO

User Info Menu

I like George L's - the thin ones.

I'll do my own high end attenuation, so no "Jazz" cables for me.

I like that they just get the job done. No reliability troubles at all. Easy to cut and re-attach ends.

I started using this sort of cable when Bill Lawrence sold the same setup decades ago.

Chris

User Info Menu

I use a PRS 15' cable. It was a bit pricey at $50, but it has a lifetime warranty and after more than 3 years of use it is holding up very well.

User Info Menu

I'm too lazy to make my own. I've been liking Conquest USA Custom Shop Series because they don't tangle easily and have solid components. I buy new cables rarely so paying a little too much is OK with me. Still.. the George L's and the GT's look kind of interesting.
    Last edited by Spook410; 08-22-2012 at 05:51 PM.

User Info Menu

I had a Monster cable that I got a few years ago. I have always had a lot of noise issues which I attributed to the wiring of my old house plus a radio antenna nearby.

I got a vintagey Fender Tele recently and got a Fender cord to go with it and I was very surprised at how much less noise I had coming through the amp. Plus, it has a very cool tweed cloth cover. Not too expensive either, so a great deal all the way round.

User Info Menu

I went though cables like socks and pics. A guy on another forum gt-cables.com builds to suite with the best cables and ends. Any length at half the price. I can't kill them.

User Info Menu

Anyone try the Bullet Cables Silver Bullet? They're $35 for 12' and they've got a lifetime warranty.

I also like the price for the GT Cables, anyone know if they have a lifetime warranty?

I'm sure that some of these $150 cables are awesome, but I don't know if I want to spend that much on a cable right now. But I suppose that the better ones might be worth it in the long run if they have a lifetime warranty...

User Info Menu

from#1113 "Good Sounds"

User Info Menu

I'll cast another vote for Tony and Evidence Cable.( great speaker cable,too, if you do the head and cab thing) I've also had Schroeder Audio in Chicago build me some custom-length Canares to neaten up my pedalboard that have served me well.

User Info Menu

I find the George Ls very thin and britlle. Replaced them with Sommer Grindycop Beast on instrument cables and I am much happier with the sound. Also replaced them with Sommer the Spirit XXL on both pealboards due to rearrangements on the pedals because the Sommer were much cheaper and I am also happier than I was with George Ls. But I have to say I've had George Ls forever and they are very reliable indeed.

User Info Menu

Years ago I got tired of cables and went wireless. Never looked back. Today I can't imagine being harnessed by a wire. The airwaves never get noisy, they never break, they don't have bad soldering or loose connectons, they never get tangled up with the bass, they don't make me stand in one place all night, I never trip over them or accidentally step on them making them yank out of the socket. Today's wireless systems have as much fidelity as a cable, they don't suffer crosstalk.

They DO cost more (one time), and they DO require batteries often, so use rechargeables and always carry spares. Otherwise, it's a no-brainer.

User Info Menu

A technician here in Brazil measured the impedance of the main cables and the Planet Waves Circuit Breaker it's by far the best, better than Mogami and Monster Cables. But we don't have that many brands for sale here in Brazil.
    Of course if you want a little impedance to smooth the highs it's ok, but i prefer the sound to stay clear and work with the eq.