The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

So my new guitar is the Godin 5th Ave Kingpin. The TRIC case is marketed as the best case for this guitar, but I can't help but think there is a traditional style HSC that will work adequately too. This is my first archtop, but I firmly believe in a HSC for all my guitars. If I did not the woodstove in my cellar would dry out my guitar humidifiers way too fast. A HSC protects my investments and are worth the cash.

Any first hand experience with specific cases for the 5th Ave? Maybe I could be convinced the TRIC is okay, but I'm leaning toward a more traditional case (which I have experience with) for this retro style box. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'll say this about the TRIC cases...
    Since they seem to be made of really thick high-grade, resin-impregnated styrofoam (what it looks like to me), then they have two likely advantages:
    --Excellent insulation from outside temperatures, meaning the guitar inside won't be as affected by extreme temperatures, or temperature changes.
    --It will absorb more impact than a regular case, if it happens to be dropped down a flight of stairs, for instance.

If you still prefer a more standard hard case, then I would think any standard acoustic or archtop case made for a typical 16" hollow body would work just fine.

User Info Menu

I bought a tric for my 64 ES125.

Mine is the deluxe with the straps and the zipper.. I think I should have bought the regular since the zip/velcro annoys me.

I agree it is a light and amazing case.

I agree that it is probably at least just as good at protecting from changes in temp/humidity as the TKL that came with my ES165.

I am not convinced it is as rugged in one respect. I find the top seems to flex more than I like. If the case is sitting on its back and someone throws a suitcase on it I am more worried about damaging the top (via the bridge). A conventional plywood case seems more rigid.

I also find the damn thing doesnt want to stay open without falling over.

Since I bought the TRIC I never use the case that came with the guitar (non original Everest) but I do have to be careful it doesnt get crushed by my 4 yo in the car.

User Info Menu

You're right that it has more flex and may not protect as well with a crushing amount of weight on it.
    My reasoning was that in an impact situation, that rubbery styrofoam-ish material will be more "light and bouncy" and absorb the impact rather than broadcast the shock of the impact to the inside. This is, of course, just speculation on my part though.

If you are to get a traditional case, I'd personally want one of the ones with the arched top in it. More rigid and with more clearance and padding over the bridge area.

User Info Menu

I continue to believe that the TRIC is uglier than mortal sin, but I think it just might be more protective than any other HS case I own.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 4ever_tunes
    So my new guitar is the Godin 5th Ave Kingpin. The TRIC case is marketed as the best case for this guitar, but I can't help but think there is a traditional style HSC that will work adequately too. This is my first archtop, but I firmly believe in a HSC for all my guitars. If I did not the woodstove in my cellar would dry out my guitar humidifiers way too fast. A HSC protects my investments and are worth the cash.

Any first hand experience with specific cases for the 5th Ave? Maybe I could be convinced the TRIC is okay, but I'm leaning toward a more traditional case (which I have experience with) for this retro style box. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

I eventually bought the TRIC case for my 5th Ave and although it is a radical departure from the standard kind of case the insulating properties are good, and while it is more flexible than a HSC it would take a pretty unusual impact to damage the contents - I bought the case for protection around the home and for carrying in the car.

The one thing that has been disappointing is that the plastic 'strip' hinges have broken along the folds - so I now have a case of two halves. I have had no luck getting replacement hinges. This must have compromised the case to some extent.

I have a similar shaped guitar (Aria FA50) and have used a Hiscox case for that by 're-shaping' the internal foam. I suppose that too has compromised the shock and insulation properties to some extent, but again it is only needed for home and car use. I wouldn't use a TRIC case again without being able to solve the plastic hinge problem.

User Info Menu

I just got back from a week-end road trip with the 5th Ave. in a Tric case with the canvas cover. I can't say enough good things about it, beginning with how light it is to carry for any length of time. Years of lugging HS cases for my instruments had me dreading this week-end, but the Tric case was a delight. I wish they built a 17" for my Imperial; that case weighs a ton!

I'm starting to look for an EPP foam/canvas flight case for my flat top for flying. What a treat that would be.

Just my opinion (and a happy back).
    Last edited by ah.clem; 02-19-2012 at 10:58 PM.

User Info Menu

I have bought a 5th avenue and the tric case but I took the case back. The problem I had with it was with the lid. I didn't like how you have to wedge the lid on. I am still not sure if I got a defective case or what, but from what I understand, this is by design. However, I feel that a musical instrument shouldn't be wedged in anywhere ever. I think the binding would eventually start to wear down if you take the guitar in and out of the case a lot like I plan to do. I might try one of the alternatives above.

User Info Menu

I have a 5th avenue that didn't come with a TRIC case and I got one of these from GC where the guitar was bought.

TKL Products Corp - The world's leading manufacturer and distributor of musical instrument cases and bags. (guitar , bass , percussion , drum, etc)

The one they gave me was the 7810 I think and the guitar fit's snugly in it. Very durable case but heavier than I'd like. The price listed is much more than I paid. I have no experience with TRIC cases to compare to it.

User Info Menu

Ahh, the Tric case. I'm finding this because I'm looking for a canvas replacement for my TRIC case. The actual case weighs around 2.5 lbs--amazing! And you could sit on it and it would not damage the instrument. I believe I read somewhere that the case is made of the same stuff a car dashboard is made of--intended to absorb an impact without shattering/cracking, etc. It's a great design but there seem to be some fatal flaws. One is mentioned above--the strip hinges. Mine have not broken, but I can see that they will eventually. Two, the canvas cover on mine is disintegrating as we speak. That's why I'm looking for a replacement. Three, the zipper is coming apart. I've sewn it back together once, but I don't have the time (and quality of sewing ability) to be dealing with it. A great idea, but there are fatal flaws. If the company would go a few steps further they'd have one of the best lightweight, hard shell-type gig bags ever made, imo.

User Info Menu

The hinges are definitely a weakness. I played an outdoor gig on Sunday and the glue holding them in place literally melted. Hopefully I can glue them back in place but long term I'd really prefer something more durable.

User Info Menu

I just got th Tric case for my 5th Ave and it doesn't close without pushing on the guitar. Is this right or might I have the wrong case?

Thanks,
    Dave

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by musicafterhours
    I just got th Tric case for my 5th Ave and it doesn't close without pushing on the guitar. Is this right or might I have the wrong case?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Mine fits perfectly and closes securely when you close the latches. I believe that Godin makes several different Tric cases in different sizes. They could have sent the wrong one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WayneJM48
    The hinges are definitely a weakness. I played an outdoor gig on Sunday and the glue holding them in place literally melted. Hopefully I can glue them back in place but long term I'd really prefer something more durable.
    Update: I ended up duct taping the hinges in place. You can't see them from the outside and so far they're working well.

User Info Menu

So when you close the top, is there any gap before you close the latches? Just want to make sure we're saying the same thing about "perfect fit".

thanks,
    Dave

User Info Menu

There shouldn't be a gap. However, several months ago the hinges (which are glued in place) came loose and I had to slide them back in position and refasten them in order to close and latch the case. Once I did that it opened and closed securely. It's possible that your hinges aren't aligned correctly and you will need to play around with them. The Kingpin should fit nicely into the molded recesses of the case if the top and bottom are aligned properly.

Let me know how you make out.

Wayne

Why a TRIC case? I'm using SKB case for my "precious bundles of joy" Great cases, and fantastic locking latches
    with a aluminum seal strip on both sides of the case. No dry air for your "ES-125 wannabee by Godin.

You can get a guitar humidifier also from SKB if you want additional humidity control.

Here is the case that should fit your Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin..
    http://www.skbcases.com/music/produc...et=2&c=75&s=75

Quote Originally Posted by Norman931
    I bought one of these for mine:
    Musician's Gear Deluxe Dreadnought Case: Shop Accessories & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend
    Get the tweed one, as it has an arched top. Works great for my Godin Kingpin or my Ibanez AK80.
    Yes, that will work and economical too. The latches are not the greatest, but for non airline travel it would be
    ok.but never subject a guitar inside that case to airline baggage handlers..if there is any weak construction in
    those MIC cases,the airlines will find it!

User Info Menu

My 5th Ave. acoustic fits my Tric snugly (ES-125 wannabe? o_0 - whatever; to me it's just a good playing, inexpensive archtop that I feel safe taking anywhere); there is a small gap before pressing down the lid, fastening the velcro closure and zipping up the canvas. Some folks have reported hinge problems but I have not had them over the years; maybe the canvas bag helps in some way? In any case (no pun intended) it gets a lot of use/abuse. It has held up well for me, all the proof I need. Why the Tric over the SKB (or others) for me? The Tric is built for the 5th Ave and it is snug and very light. I wish they built one for my Peerless Imperial and my JZ3 and my Fender Jazz basses; those cases are a ton to lug around compared to the Tric. Next step for my 5th Ave.? A padded gig bag; even lighter. Just my opinion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Kuryliak
    Why a TRIC case? I'm using SKB case for my "precious bundles of joy" Great cases, and fantastic locking latches
    with a aluminum seal strip on both sides of the case. No dry air for your "ES-125 wannabee by Godin.

You can get a guitar humidifier also from SKB if you want additional humidity control.

Here is the case that should fit your Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin..
    Acoustic Roundback Guitar Case | SKB Music / ProAV
    They make great cases but this SKB case will not fit the Kingpin. Its built for an Ovation style body and the Kingpin will not set all the way in. I tried it for myself.

User Info Menu

My 5th Avenue came with the standard tric case and i’ve been gigging it for almost 8 years. I look at it as more of a version of the 125 and not a wanna-be with all of the negative implications that term suggests. Sure i’d Love to have a vintage 125 but I don’t. I applaud mr Daniel wanna be and the ego enhancement putting down an almost universally praised guitar must have brought him. Well played.

back to the tric- i at first didn’t really like it from an aesthetic POV, but like a Citroen 2cv, it’s ugliness is it’s charm and when you back it up with durability and weight, it’s a winner in my book. i’ve Never had issues with the hinges or it closing any way but perfect. Plus I bought mine at a pawn shop for less than $500!

man I love that guitar. I wanna be playing mine now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WayneJM48
    Update: I ended up duct taping the hinges in place. You can't see them from the outside and so far they're working well.
    Duct tape on the inside sounds like impossibly sticky goo will get on your guitar. Not if, when.

Years ago, I bought a Boss TU-12H tuner that came with a case sort of like a vinyl-covered binder. When the plastic hinge eventually wore out and the cover separated from the rest of the case, I created a new hinge from duct tape. After another couple years, the sticky stuff on the tape began to ooze outside of the taped surface. Getting this on my hands any time I picked up the tuner was annoying enough that I ditched the case entirely. Getting it on a nice guitar would be way worse; that stuff doesn't clean up easily.

$0.02,

SJ

User Info Menu

Totally agree with you. The Kingpin and Godin guitars in general, are a fantastic value. I recently picked up my Kingpin P90 on Craig's List for about the same price as yours and I love it. Its a 2009 model so its nice and broken in. The seller had it strung with a plain 3rd and it had intonation issues. Once I went to a wound 3rd (D'Addario EJ21's) it tuned right up. Thanks for the review of the TRIC. I'll have to look into this.
    Last edited by bkoz; 07-14-2018 at 03:36 PM.