The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 99

User Info Menu

Anybody heard any word on what the Fender George Benson amp is going to be like? Is it going to be solid state or tube, like a more portable version of a Twin Reverb or a Polytone or what?

Personally I'm hoping it will be all tube or something cool and different like a sweet sounding solid state front end mated to a tube power amp and powerful speaker. Looking forward to hearing this amp because if the master, George Benson, is going to put his name on it you know it's going to sound GREAT.

Anyone heard anything about it yet?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

last i read he had not decided whether it would be tube or solid state, but had a preference for tube. (right now he is using a pair of fender twins).

kind of a surprise after all those years of solid state.

when it comes out, i'll probably get one.

User Info Menu

Yes I'll also get one when it comes out. I just know a GB signature Fender amp would have to sound exceptionally great.

Oh good I was hoping it would be tube. Jazzers, including myself, always complaining about the weight of tube amps loud enough for jazz. All they have to do is make it a head (maybe a short head style?) with a separate light cabinet, problem solved! Maybe that's their plan?

User Info Menu

George Benson: Still the Coolest of Cats - Premier Guitar

He talks about it in this interview (another thread already going on also)

Let's hople Fender learned something with the jazzmaster ultralight and do a good marketing this time.

User Info Menu

Being that George says he plays '65 reissue Twins live, I'm only cautiously hopeful about his signature amp being something reasonable for a normal person to lug around.

User Info Menu

"Being that George says he plays '65 reissue Twins live, I'm only cautiously hopeful about his signature amp being something reasonable for a normal person to lug around."

He ain't gettin' any younger, either, so there's hope. Then again, he probably doesn't need to schlep his own gear very often.

Quote Originally Posted by BenThayer
    "Being that George says he plays '65 reissue Twins live, I'm only cautiously hopeful about his signature amp being something reasonable for a normal person to lug around."

He ain't gettin' any younger, either, so there's hope. Then again, he probably doesn't need to schlep his own gear very often.
    I would imagine that George Benson doesn't need to bring an amp on the road with him. Usually amps are provided or rented by the promoter of the concert or festival. Fender Twins can be found the world over for rent. Both music stores in my city provide "backline" equipment for all festivals and concerts in town. I know one guy personally who provides Hammond B3 organs for players who come to town. I mean...really who wants to lugg one of those around from city to city.

User Info Menu

I'm sure George Benson doesn't have to schlep his own gear around very often. He's got roadies and also they do rent amps in the city's they tour in. Nevertheless, since he's designing his signature amp with Fender now hopefully he will also consider the rest of us mere mortal guitar enthusiasts who don't have the luxury of a road crew etc. Sure he's playing the '65 Fender Twin reissue's now but if he wanted something exactly the same as that then why would he even bother designing his own Fender amp model?

Geez how many times have I seen this sentiment posted on the internet: "Fender Twin Reverb, sounds amazing BUT it's big and heavy and you'll probably throw your back out trying to lug one around to gigs". Answer: more times than I can even reasonably count. Seems to me that simply from a marketing standpoint Fender would want to design an amp that covers similar sonic territory that also takes the "BUT" out of that previous statement. Also hoping George would want to even improve on the Twin, sonically (if that's possible) and also in terms of the size/weight issues with the Twin Reverb. That's why I'm hoping for a head with a dedicated speaker cab with attention to the design to cut out any unnecessary weight. I think with George involved they've got an opportunity here to design the new standard tube amp for jazz, blues, whatever.

User Info Menu

I think it should be quite easy to improve on the Twin for jazz. Too bright, too loud, too heavy. From how much Fender really seems to be interested in making
    Jazz amps, I'm guessing it will be a deluxe reverb with GB initials on it.

User Info Menu

Just remove the first channel of a twin, remove one speaker, and lower the wattage to about 50 watts, or maybe add powerscaling. This would be a great feature to get that cranked twin tone at a lower volume. A head and cab version would also be awesome, so you can choose wether to use 1x10, 2x10, 1x12, or 2x12 depending on the gig. (4x12 are for rockers and Frank Gambale)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EinarG
    Just remove the first channel of a twin, remove one speaker, and lower the wattage to about 50 watts, or maybe add powerscaling. This would be a great feature to get that cranked twin tone at a lower volume. A head and cab version would also be awesome, so you can choose wether to use 1x10, 2x10, 1x12, or 2x12 depending on the gig. (4x12 are for rockers and Frank Gambale)
    Now you're talking 50-60 clean, thick, rich, harmonically gooey tube watts would do the trick IMO. Nobody uses the first channel on a Twin anyway, it's kind of a relic at this point anyway. If they do 2 channels at least they should both be really useable. Really one exceptionally beautiful sounding clean tube channel would do it for me. Prolly don't need the "vibrato" either. Something more useful like a contour knob to tailor the frequency response of the amp or something would be more useful IMO. Then throw in a 1/2 or a 1/2 and 1/4 power switch for practice or so the blues guys could get the amp to breakup and I bet they would have a new amp model that would turn alot of heads.

User Info Menu

My ideas:

- 1x12 Princeton Size and Weight
    - 1 channel with treble, mids, bass and reverb (no vibrato); (reverb with dwell, mix and intensity would be perfect)
    - Vibrolux / Super Reverb power (around 40 watts)
    - Good stock speaker for a Fender like a C Rex

I think Fender would sell a lot of these even out of the jazz market (Benson name can help on that also). I never understood why Fender doesn't invest more in light and loud single channel amps with good cleans.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuitarPlayer
    I would imagine that George Benson doesn't need to bring an amp on the road with him. Usually amps are provided or rented by the promoter of the concert or festival. Fender Twins can be found the world over for rent. Both music stores in my city provide "backline" equipment for all festivals and concerts in town. I know one guy personally who provides Hammond B3 organs for players who come to town. I mean...really who wants to lugg one of those around from city to city.
    The last time Benson was in town a couple of years ago--I believe he played the Symphony Center---he stopped by my teacher's house to pick up an amp for the gig--Polytone.

Looks like Polytone is kind of becoming the amp of yesteryear (actually, I don't even use mine, except as a bass amp).

Lately, I've been playing with my Fender Twin--I gotta move stuff out of my music room, and I gotta schlep it up the stairs to the first floor. Yuck!

Anytime I've played outside the house,no way I'm schlepping that around, anywhere. I can sling the Henriksen over the shoulder with little problem.

I think Henriksen and a Twin is a GREAT amp combination

User Info Menu

Forgot to say - an head version would be brilliant!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    - 1x12 Princeton Size and Weight
    - 1 channel with treble, mids, bass and reverb (no vibrato); (reverb with dwell, mix and intensity would be perfect)
    - Vibrolux / Super Reverb power (around 40 watts)
    - Good stock speaker for a Fender like a C Rex
    I'd say this is just about spot on, only I'd make the amp 25-30 watts rather than 40 (very loud). Under 40 lbs is a requirement; even under 35 really.

User Info Menu

Add to that list SS rectifier. No need for tube sag.

User Info Menu

And that would increase watts right?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    And that would increase watts right?
    That's beyond my amp knowledge. The usual advice to get more volume out of an amp is to go for a more efficient speaker, I think.

User Info Menu

I think it would increase the power a little, maybe 5 to 10 watts but I am not sure also.

User Info Menu

The Princeton with this and that option sounds much like what Rivera offers in the Jazz suprema. I think the one they make for Lou over at Guitarsnjazz has a 15" speaker and not a 12" but still in terms of sound thats pretty close to what you are talking about. The issues is the nearly $2,000 price tag.

I think Ibanez is onto something with their Wholetone amp. Its really affordable, fairly light and does the jazz thing well. Downside is its a one trick pony.

I kind of agree that I think it will be Deluxe with special covering, GB signature in some way, maybe an upgraded speaker and an additional knob or two for a $3-400 inrease over a standard DRRI. I don't think Fender cares enough about the limited jazz market to invest a ton of R&D into this venture. I think its just a way to get Benson to sign a contract with them for 5-10 years at most. If you recall he has endorsed many guitars and amps over the years.

'Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman301
    I don't think Fender cares enough about the limited jazz market to invest a ton of R&D into this venture. I think its just a way to get Benson to sign a contract with them for 5-10 years at most. If you recall he has endorsed many guitars and amps over the years.
    If they cared, they would bring back the Ultralight.

User Info Menu

It wouldn't shock me if they just made a Twin Reverb based and endorsed model rather than a Deluxe Reverb based model.

I think we're all on the same page regarding what we'd want out of a Fender tube jazz amp. I also liked the Ultralight heads too. I've been using two slightly modified Fenders to get around the lack of a perfect Fender tube jazz amp. I already mentioned my converted Bandmaster 2x10 combo (35-40 watts, 2x10, same size as Deluxe Reverb, around 40lbs I'm guessing). I also have a Princeton Reverb RI that I put a 12" speaker in (Eminence Lil Texas = lightweight yet very efficient/loud at 101db).

User Info Menu

Hey I don't wanna sound like a "Mr. know-it-all" here because lord knows I find people like that very annoying but wait just a minute here! A DRRI is only 22 watts and someone else mentioned a 25 to 30 watt amp. Hmmm??? GB is a world class gigging jazz musician who plays at large venues, so what's he going to do with a 22 watt or 30 watt amp? I'm thinking if GB is going to put his name on an amp it's #1 going to have to be powerful enough to keep up with a live band with a drummer and stay warm jazzy clean like a Fender Twin can. So my guess is that we're looking at a 50 watt, 60 watt, maybe 85 watt, or even 100 watt tube amp, somewhere in that range. An amp with the chutzpa to gig with in the real world without necessarily having to mic it.That's why I'm really hoping it will be a head to keep the weight down to something reasonable / "luggable".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Double 07
    Hey I don't wanna sound like a "Mr. know-it-all" here because lord knows I find people like that very annoying but wait just a minute here! A DRRI is only 22 watts and someone else mentioned a 25 to 30 watt amp. Hmmm??? GB is a world class gigging jazz musician who plays at large venues, so what's he going to do with a 22 watt or 30 watt amp? I'm thinking if GB is going to put his name on an amp it's #1 going to have to be powerful enough to keep up with a live band with a drummer and stay warm jazzy clean like a Fender Twin can. So my guess is that we're looking at a 50 watt, 60 watt, maybe 85 watt, or even 100 watt tube amp, somewhere in that range. An amp with the chutzpa to gig with in the real world without necessarily having to mic it.That's why I'm really hoping it will be a head to keep the weight down to something reasonable / "luggable".
    Eric Clapton plays in bigger venues, and way louder, too. Check out Fender's Eric Clapton Series: http://www.fender.com/en-CA/products/clapton

EC Vibro-Champ: 5 watts
    EC Tremolux: 12 watts
    EC Twinolux: 40 watts

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Eric Clapton plays in bigger venues, and way louder, too. Check out Fender's Eric Clapton Series: http://www.fender.com/en-CA/products/clapton

EC Vibro-Champ: 5 watts
    EC Tremolux: 12 watts
    EC Twinolux: 40 watts
    Sure but that's different though because he's driving those babies into distortion. That's a big difference between tube and SS. With tube you can push them into distortion and they still sound pleasing. That enables Clapton to use essentially the entire 40 watts, which is yes LOUD. With SS you're really only using a small fraction of the rated power (if you want it to sound good) that's why the really good sought after SS amps generally have more rated power than many of the "good" sought after tube amps for jazz. Us jazzers don't want the amp to distort for our jazz playing so we need some solid clean headroom even with a good tube amp.

So my thinking is that for a giggable tube amp for jazz, without always having to mic it, you're would need a minimum 40-50 watt range. Agree / disagree?
    Last edited by Double 07; 01-02-2012 at 05:52 PM.