The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 129

User Info Menu

I'm interested in hearing what your favorite Gibson ES-335 copies are.

I've only experienced the Ibanez AS series and the Epiphone Dot (which I currently have), but would like to find a beefier neck profile.

I think the Ibanez' are well built guitars for the monies asked of them, but of course the necks on these are on the thinner side for my liking.

The Epi Dot has a thicker neck profile, but I would still try to find something a bit more thicker.

I've never had my hands on the real deal, Gibson 335 but I've read that some of them have the Gibson 50's rounded profile. I am assuming that these are chunkier necks? Sadly, they are out of my budget which sparked the reason of this thread.

Please tell me about your favorite 335 copies and why you like them. Thanks.

Your Favorite Gibson ES-335 Copy?-epiphone-dot-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Heritage H-535.

A great Gibson 335 in virtually every way. The neck is a nice balance of fast and chunky, imho. I'd take my 535 over most recent-decade Gibson 335s. Not everyone would, I suppose, but I would.

Your Favorite Gibson ES-335 Copy?-heritage-h-535-jpg
    Last edited by Flat; 11-24-2011 at 06:08 AM.

I hear Edwards has a 335 copy that is supposedly very good. They retail around the $1k figure.

Your Favorite Gibson ES-335 Copy?-edwards-es-335-jpg

User Info Menu

Since you're not keen on Ibanez necks, I would recommend a used Japanese Tokai (ES or UES series, very close to 58 Gibson specs) or Yamaha SA series. For something a little different, a German Hofner Verythin (Classic or Standard) might be worth trying as well.

User Info Menu

Used Greco 335 copies from the 80s, specially the 'super real' series, and 90s tokai japanese-made 335s - some have fat necks. These guitars are structurally and tonally on a par with gibsons - the greco super 58 pickups are quite sought after- although the grecos have poly finishes in most cases. In the case of both brands, the wiring is inferior, often breaks or shorts out, and needs to be replaced with switchcraft components and proper wire. But otherwise, they are accurate replicas of 60s 335s, apart from the name on the head, and made with the same woods - which many modern clones may not be, because of cost considerations.

They are around on ebay for about £600+/ $900+, although you'd have to upgrade the wiring.

Your Favorite Gibson ES-335 Copy?-greco-es-335-jpg

User Info Menu

I have a Cort Source that costed me 330€ and I really really like it.

Your Favorite Gibson ES-335 Copy?-cort-source-jpg

User Info Menu

Can't complain against my Korean Epiphone Sheraton II. The neck on it is perfect!

Your Favorite Gibson ES-335 Copy?-epiphone-sheraton-ii-jpg

User Info Menu

Hohner HS35, a fantastic mid-'90s 335 clone. Well-made, play great with a chunky neck. Used prices range from $300-450 if you can find one. I used to own one and wish I still had it.

Your Favorite Gibson ES-335 Copy?-hohner-hs35-jpg

User Info Menu

The Edwards E-SA-138LTS has a thin profile "60s" neck.

I would also recommend the Seventy-seven Guitars Exrubato or the Tokai copies.

User Info Menu

I have this one: https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guita...335-clone.html. But there are so many 335-style guitars available both new and used for under $1k, that my recommendation would be make it your mission to try as many as possible without, if possible, preconceived notions about what will be good. At that price level, there will be some gems and some dogs even with the same manufacturer and model.

User Info Menu

The Yamaha SA-2200/2100 is worthy of consideration. The stock pickups were a little bright for me, so I replaced them.
    Tommy Tedesco used to play the SA-2100 in the studio, and here's a clip of Frank Gamblae playing one (you'll see it after about 2:30 into the video:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Franz 1997
    Used Greco 335 copies from the 80s
    This is what I have (hence, my forum name) and I have always enjoyed this guitar.

I replaced all of the electronics.

Cheers

Dave

User Info Menu

I just went through what you are going through . I ended up buying an Eastman T185MX. After playing the Gibson and the Epiphone Sheraton 2, they can't compare with the Eastman. Handmade and no laminates. 1 3/4 in neck, which is wider than most and really makes it easier to play. I've owned it for 2 months and gig with it 4 times a week. I'm so impressed that I ordered another but an ElRey E3. Try it and you'll be hooked.

Your Favorite Gibson ES-335 Copy?-eastman-t185mx-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    Heritage 535.

A great Gibson 335 in virtually every way. The neck is a nice balance of fast and chunky, imho. I'd take my 535 over most recent-decade Gibson 335s. Not everyone would, I suppose, but I would.
    +1 on the Heritage 535 . . . I no longer think of it as a copy.

User Info Menu

Maybe this is a bit pedantic, but there are 335 copies, and then there are 335-style guitars. I'd think of the Heritage as a special case, because of its, er, heritage!
    I use an 80s greco copy ( like Greco, above) because it's a dead accurate copy of a 62 block 335, sounds the same, I can put bigger frets in without ruining the resale value, and it's not worth so much that I daren't take it out of the house.

User Info Menu

A Guild Starfire is a nice copy, if one can be found. Washburn made a nice one too. I think finding a clone with a chunkier neck could be tough.

Your Favorite Gibson ES-335 Copy?-guild-starfire-v-jpg

User Info Menu

My favorite ES-335 copy is my ES-333.... still has the Gibson-name on the headstock and can be found for some 800 - 1100 bucks, which is about a 3rd of an Es-335. I simply looooove the neck-profile: 60ies slim taper, but it's not that slim at all. It just has less fancy decorations than the ES335 and access to the electronics on the back (à la the BB-King model).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    My favorite ES-335 copy is my ES-333.... still has the Gibson-name on the headstock and can be found for some 800 - 1100 bucks, which is about a 3rd of an Es-335. I simply looooove the neck-profile: 60ies slim taper, but it's not that slim at all. It just has less fancy decorations than the ES335 and access to the electronics on the back (à la the BB-King model).
    Isn't the ES-333 the same or similar as the Tom Delonge model?

Your Favorite Gibson ES-335 Copy?-gibson-es-333-tom-delonge-jpg

User Info Menu

Have a late ' 90s Sheraton that I used to gig with . Really nice guitar .

User Info Menu

I recently tried a Duesenberg Fullerton and it is a killer guitar with a very beefey neck. Just can't deal with the white color...

Your Favorite Gibson ES-335 Copy?-duesenberg-fullerton-jpg

User Info Menu

Another vote for Heritage 535. They stand up to or exceed Cust Shop Gibson 335s!!!

User Info Menu

I've got an 'Orville by Gibson' ES 335. Basically Gibson's Japanese market, so it's not sub par quality like epiphones.

They're actually made much better than Gibsons made today, I tried a couple of gibsons at the music store and they felt kinda plastic and cheap to me, with not as nice a sound.

My teacher has an older gibson es335 and they sound exactly the same. They're not made anymore, but show up on ebay from time to time.

Your Favorite Gibson ES-335 Copy?-orville-gibson-es-335-jpg

User Info Menu

Hi Guys!

What kind of 335-ish jazz/blues guitar would you buy if you would have 800 bucks for it?

I read some topics about comparisons of Epi Dots, Ibanez AS73, Peavey and Washburn clones, Höfner verythins.
    I think these all are made in China. The reviews on these are very odd, so these comparisons didnt help me.

I am going to need one for a more modern sound. Cant find used ones nearby, which I could try, I dont want to buy now without trying. I dont even know if I can buy a non-chinese model for 800 bucks or under it, or isnt it an issue?

I could try a vintage Guild Starfire IV on a Roland JC160, which was awesome, but really pricy for me.

So question: Is there any non-chinese very good es-335 model with modern sound you could suggest? Important, that can buy only from european dealers. SO I dont need axes, which have no dealers in eu. Thanks.

User Info Menu

I'd save an extra 3 or 4 hundo and look for a German made Hofner Verythin. I've seen them as low as $1200. Incredible guitars--but, just be known, 25.5" scale.

I've played the Ibanez's...decent guitars...with Ibanez you get what you pay for, so the more expensive model you can swing, the nicer guitar it is.

Your Favorite Gibson ES-335 Copy?-hofner-verythin-jpg

User Info Menu

Gibson ES-135's I've seen sell for around a $1000 as low as $900. And I know you said not-Chinese but Eastman makes a great guitar in that style. Two actually.

Your Favorite Gibson ES-335 Copy?-gibson-es-135-jpg