The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 55 of 55

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nion
    Hey Dark Star, you think you can get contemporary jazz tones from the 339? I'm very happy with my sound on my 335, it's just the ergonomics that sucks.
    If you can get a good jazz sound out of a humbucker-equipped Telecaster (ie. a slab of wood with 4 screws holding the neck on), then a guitar built like a 339 (or 335) should easily be able to do the same. Having a '57 Classic (or similar) in the neck position will be a big key to that sound. And then the amp is at least 'the other half' of the sound.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

BTW - Nion and Darkstar - I too am small (barely 5'7") and I too find the 335 style/size guitar very comfortable while seated. That is OK for me because I'm just a play-at-home hobbyist so I'm always sitting while playing, and will never be standing. But I see what you mean about the guitar suddenly becoming a little 'oversized' when you stand with it.

I have a Peerless Renaissance Custom which is just about identical to the 335 in size and dimensions.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nion
    Hey Dark Star, you think you can get contemporary jazz tones from the 339? I'm very happy with my sound on my 335, it's just the ergonomics that sucks.
    I'd have to say yes. I just strung up my CS-336 w/a set of flatwound strings & while it's not an L-5 it's got great warmth.
    My late friend & instructor Mark Bullis had an arsenal of Gibson guitars & among them was a 339. I never heard him play it, but he was something of an old-school player & I doubt if he would have even owned it unless there were some traditional tones in there.
    Last edited by Dark Star; 11-19-2011 at 01:40 PM.

User Info Menu

curveball?
    Redirect Notice

User Info Menu

Try an Eastman T184MX or An ElRey ER2.