The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 64 of 64

User Info Menu

I think hex cores are stiffer than round cores but I could be wrong.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Para
    I think hex cores are stiffer than round cores but I could be wrong.
    Strange, It's the DR Sunbeams that I had tried. Even though the site says they are flexible I did not find them to be that way. The acoustic string that's really flexible is the DR Rare series. Heavier wrap over a lighter core.

DR Strings | The Handmade String - Guitar and Bass

Danielle

User Info Menu

I found a TI 13 swing set here that someone had given to me and I am putting them on now. I think I had forgotten how dark sounding the GHS set was that I am removing.

Danielle

User Info Menu

More often than not, those who try TI GB112, never go back to whatever they came from.

User Info Menu

The whole TI thing maybe boils down to one thing: if the lower tension in the 3rd to 5th strings (in comparison with most other manufacturers) is not an issue for you and you can pay the difference, you may never "go back", because both Jazz Swings and Bebops are very nice strings, exquisite, even. I had them on for a fair time and in the end had to say adieu because they were slack to my hands, but that's just me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    Strange, It's the DR Sunbeams that I had tried. Even though the site says they are flexible I did not find them to be that way. The acoustic string that's really flexible is the DR Rare series. Heavier wrap over a lighter core.

DR Strings | The Handmade String - Guitar and Bass

Danielle
    Danielle, give the DR Pure Blues a go. Cheap at about $6 a set. Pure nickel wrap over round core. There are 2 versions of the DR Pure Blues Extra Heavy. The PHR-12 has a Wound G 0.024. The PHR-12/PL has a Plain G, 0.024. The b string is a little thin. So, sub away with a 0.012e 0.016b, 0.013e 0.017b or a 0.014e 0.018b plain steel strings. Just Strings sells bulk plain steel strings for $2.90 per pack of a dozen strings.

DR Strings Electric Guitar - Pure Blues Nickel Extra Heavy, .012-.052, PHR-12

DR Strings Electric Guitar - Pure Blues™ Nickel Extra Heavy Plain Third, .012-.052, PHR-12/PL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Danielle, give the DR Pure Blues a go. Cheap at about $6 a set. Pure nickel wrap over round core. There are 2 versions of the DR Pure Blues Extra Heavy. The PHR-12 has a Wound G 0.024. The PHR-12/PL has a Plain G, 0.024. The b string is a little thin. So, sub away with a 0.012e 0.016b, 0.013e 0.017b or a 0.014e 0.018b plain steel strings. Just Strings sells bulk plain steel strings for $2.90 per pack of a dozen strings.

DR Strings Electric Guitar - Pure Blues Nickel Extra Heavy, .012-.052, PHR-12

DR Strings Electric Guitar - Pure Blues™ Nickel Extra Heavy Plain Third, .012-.052, PHR-12/PL

Thank for the suggestion. I think I all set for now. However, I will keep your suggestion in mind. I have both TI and Pyramid flats coming, and I have 1/2 dozen sets of TI Bebops here. I primarily play my Eastman AR503CE. I feel like a need a few more of them just to compare strings.

Danielle

User Info Menu

I now have a TI Swing 13 set on my AR503CE and a Pyramid Gold round core set on my AR805CE. I understand both sets are nickel over a round core.

It was my perception from listening that the Pyramid set was much darker sounding than the TI set. This rather surprised me. Noting what I thought they were using similar materials and construction, I expected them to sound more a like than they do. In fact I think the Pyramid set sounds more like the GHS stainless steel strings than the TI strings.

User Info Menu

I just put a set of Pyramid Gold Round Core, nickel flatwound, 12 - 52, on my Eastman AR371CE. I just notice some tarnishing on the 2nd string. I will write to the string supplier and see what they have to say.

I was hoping that I would like these as I like the way they put silk wrap on every string in the set.

Danielle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    I just put a set of Pyramid Gold Round Core, nickel flatwound, 12 - 52, on my Eastman AR371CE. I just notice some tarnishing on the 2nd string. I will write to the string supplier and see what they have to say.

I was hoping that I would like these as I like the way they put silk wrap on every string in the set.

Danielle
    The vendor is shipping a new replacement string to me.

User Info Menu

To revive an old thread, I put a set of Pyramid Fusion Flats, DF special, which are 12 - 16 - 22w - 32 - 42 - 52, on my Triggs New Yorker.

In the past, I had pretty much settled on the TI GB12s (wound 3rd) on the Triggs and my Eastmans, and more recently have found the Dog Expressive Jazz R40 12 - 52 strings to give a similar sound.

But because of some online recommendations, I decided to give the Pyramids a try. Out of the paper wrapping, I was a little surprised to feel them, because they feel almost round-wound; but under a magnifying glass, they look flat, although not as flat as the TI or Dogal.

But I put them on anyway, and tried them for a couple of days. I found my pick scraped on the strings, although I quickly got used to the feel of them under my fretting hand (I was an acoustic dread player until 2018). But I just couldn't get used to the amplified sound. There's a nice, well-rounded and equal-string sound acoustically, really sounding like round-wounds, but amplified, they give an almost harsh sound to my guitar. And I don't think anyone who's ever played or heard my Triggs NY would say it has a harsh sound.

So tonight I'm replacing the strings with a set of the Dogal R40s. I'm glad I tried the Pyramids out, though.

The Pyramid E string on top; Dogal below it:
    Attached Images Attached Images Thomastik Infeld or Pyramid Strings?-strings-jpg 
    Last edited by Ukena; 11-26-2023 at 03:07 PM.

User Info Menu

I've had the same experience with Pyramids and Dogal R40s are my favourites.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Just Strings sells bulk plain steel strings for $2.90 per pack of a dozen strings.
    PL
    Thats an amazing price
    I wish they had a UK shop ….

Ive paid about that
    for a single string !

User Info Menu

I've been using Thomastik Plectrums on my steel-stringers for a few years, then discovered that I preferred the sound of the Spectrums on my archtop, but with a tension profile corresponding to the Plectrum AC112s. That means I'd have to buy singles or 3 sets and since I was under the assumption that Spectrums are phosphor-bronze I had Pyramid make me a few sets. Phosphor-bronze wound silk-and-steel, hand-polished. Of course it turned out that the Spectrums are NOT PB (still don't know what they are wound with) but the Pyramids aren't noticeably worse.

In fact, they're also wound in the opposite direction from what I can tell, which makes the low E a little less abrasive on my right thumb.