The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

Well guys, some have many guitars and some don't. I can only play one at a time
    I have one jazz guitar, one rocking P90 guitar, the obligatory strat, dreadnaught, selmer copy, fretted and f/less bass and a travel guitar all living in cases next to me bed in an area measuring 6'X5'
    It's not what you've got but where you put it.

Oh, and all hollow bodies are with dampits

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sometimes posting specifics, as they relate to certain threads, such as this one . . . can seem like braggadocio. I always try to be conscious of that. It was not my intent to impress anyone that my collection includes several guitars. Just to make a point that collectors view things differently.

I agree, "some guys have many guitars and some don't". But, that comparison doesn't amount to a damn thing. As I've said many times here and else where . . . the best guitarist I know has but one guitar . . . and it's not a very expensive one either. But, he smokes it!!

I was not trying to impress . . . but, just trying to give an example of why keeping guitars in cases doesn't always work for everyone.

User Info Menu

For sure, totally agree Patrick2, if you have space then use it (trying to convince Mrs Jazzbow to give me the spare bedroom for a studio has been a long slog) but my concern is that I see broken headstocks from guitars kept out of their cases!
    IMHO here in the majority of the UK the weather never gets too dry but can be the opposite so leaving a hollow carved guitar in its case with a dampit (for the dry days) would also insure against clumsy child syndrome and pesky pet problems.
    Had a chap who brought me a 1988 Gibson ES355 dot in natural finish to set up. He had this from new (23 years ownership!), played it a bit then put it back in its Gibson case and stored it in his house in SW England (hottest part). Fast forward to 2 months back and after a move to here in SW Scotland (very wet) he decided to take up guitar again in his retirement. Now I appreciate the 355 is a semi but the guitar only had issues with its electrics and absolutely nothing wrong with its woodwork, all the binding was in place, no shrinkage at all. Even the strings were not played in as they took a bit of breaking in to keep good tune.
    I just wish I could figure out how to paste pictures as the format has changed, the nickel hardware looks divine with its aged look.

It's all just opinion and of course the weather is different in the USA to the UK which is why I started my post 'for those of us in the UK.'

I hope this helps!
    Last edited by jazzbow; 10-05-2011 at 05:53 AM. Reason: carnt spel

User Info Menu

If you have several guitars that you want easy access to and enjoy woodworking, some type of cabinet is a good comprimise. I built this a while ago for the price of 2-3 cases. Keeps them handy, dust free and you can manage the interior environment with either passive or forced air systems. This one holds six guitars (& a violin). You can buy these cabinets as well, although they can be pricey.

User Info Menu

Here's a photo of my guitars showing the wall hanging approach and the room humidifier (white plastic gadget on the floor under the archtops). Even though the baseboard heat is right under the guitars, I have no problems. The humidifier runs more often this way, though, I'm sure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    Here's a photo of my guitars showing the wall hanging approach and the room humidifier (white plastic gadget on the floor under the archtops). Even though the baseboard heat is right under the guitars, I have no problems. The humidifier runs more often this way, though, I'm sure.

Looks great rp. A couple of questions for ya . . . is the base board heat circulating hot water? Or is it electric? Do you have any kind of an air mover/fan to ensure that the warm dryer air near the ceiling is being well mixed and balanced with the cooler moist air at the bottom of the room near the floor? Last question . . . what the heck are those things in front of the kick drum????

User Info Menu

i keep mine in their cases when not playing. cases typically have an exterior surface material which acts as a vapor barrier. (i.e. plastic)

for monitoring the environmental conditions i use a hygrometer. i am a bit concerned when the relative humidity is higher than 56% (spring and fall rainy days only) or lower than 40% (winter). most of the time its between these. in the summer i leave the HVAC thermostats on 78 degrees when i leave the house, cooler when i'm home. in the winter i leave the thermostats on 68 or 69. higher settings make it drier in the house.

in my estimation, about the only drawback to living in Vail is the dry air threat to one's guitars. that's why you have the humidifier i guess.

User Info Menu

Hey Patrick,

It's hot water in the pipes under there. And there's no air circulation aid of any kind. The humidifier blows air, but I know you didn't mean that.

Those things (!) are my "Ergo" guitars from Texas luthier Chris Forshage. They are awesome. I also had a Klein for a while but recently sold it. The Forshages are the most comfortable guitars I've owned. I especially love the natural one on the right, which is a solid body built with Les Paul specs. And I have 12's on the orange semi-hollow. Both offer lots of tones, and are great for jazz and everything else, too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    Hey Patrick,

It's hot water in the pipes under there. And there's no air circulation aid of any kind. The humidifier blows air, but I know you didn't mean that.

Those things (!) are my "Ergo" guitars from Texas luthier Chris Forshage. They are awesome. I also had a Klein for a while but recently sold it. The Forshages are the most comfortable guitars I've owned. I especially love the natural one on the right, which is a solid body built with Les Paul specs. And I have 12's on the orange semi-hollow. Both offer lots of tones, and are great for jazz and everything else, too.
    Glad to hear that the base board heat isn't electric radiant. That really dries out the ambient air. Circulating hot water base board is not at all too unfriendly to the wood in your home. Actually, I think it's probably the best of all kinds. You really should consider some type of air circulation. I have a ceiling fan in my guitar room. It's on 24/7/365. In the winter, when the heat is on and the humidifier is working to compensate for my forced warm air system, I have the fan blade direction reversed to draw the moist air upward for a good balance. In the summer time, with the air conditioner on, the fan is switched to forcing the dry air downward . . for good balance. I can rest assured that the relative humidity is consistent in every square inch of the room.

By the way, you're a good sport for not getting pissed about my quip on your ergos. It was just meant in good spirited jest.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    By the way, you're a good sport for not getting pissed about my quip on your ergos.
    I realize this is the Jazz Guitar Forum and not The Gear Page, where there are more fans of that sort of thing. And I'm just not that sensitive!

Thanks for the ideas about air circulation. Hopefully the original poster got some info out of this thread.