The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I only have 2 shred guitars which I play through my Digitech GNX3 into a VOX AD15vt amp. For jazz playing I use my Ibanez S470DXQM (2004 model) and it seems to sound ok. I mean i managed to get afew good jazz tones out of it. I don't know if I"m ready for a real traditional jazz guitar yet. And I really like my S470DXQM because of the weight and the size is good for me, I'm a tiny asian girl.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

should be fine. humbucker in the neck, i assume?

don't be afraid to play with tone knobs and EQ. those vox's have a hundred good sounds in them, and there's a jazz one in there somewhere... (actually i know there is, i had one--i sold a first gen. VOX AD60VT to buy a old fender champ, which i ended up selling a year later. i had to buy a roland cube to replace the VOX. live and learn.)

try a clean setting on the amp (do they still label the fender model "blackface?") and boost the mids, cut the highs, and dial in the bass to taste. a big problem i see from folks is that they think to get a trad. jazz tone they need to turn the bass all the way up. flip to the neck pup, and set the tone on the guitar to taste--don't go too low or you'll sound like cardboard played thru a wet blanket.

User Info Menu

Yeah I know how that sounds when you have the bass up too high. That's what happened when I was playing in dropped C. I had to cut almost all the bass. And boost the treble alot.

User Info Menu

The only problem you'll have is at certain gigs, especially restaurant gigs or other places where they want a "jazz" look. Some jazzholes will give you the "look" if you show up without f-holes.

yeah, its not acceptable in public, but it will do fine

i used to play jazz on my ibanezPGM400 then i bought a cheap ibanez arcore

the dream is the ibanez jp20

User Info Menu

If you're into Ibanez, check out the JS100 (I think) — it's the 335 copy, John Scofield model. If it's anything like mine, which is an original AS200, then you get the best of everything.

A superb range of tones, stunning playability and neck. Had mine since '83, all the gold plate's wearing off the bridge and pups(!), and I've never found another that I preferred playing. It's not too bulky, so the strings are pretty much where you find them on your solid bodies, something you need to be aware of if you're small. Stick a set of "chromes" on there and you've got all the tone you'll ever need without having to wear a wardrobe round your shoulders!

User Info Menu

The S470DX is not acceptable? Well That means my old RG is not acceptable for sure! But hey i'm going into a school big band, they don't really give a care. I don't think...

JS100 is a copy of JOE SATRIANI's model.
    Last edited by JessJazzer; 08-04-2008 at 09:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JessJazzer
    The S470DX is not acceptable? Well That means my old RG is not acceptable for sure! But hey i'm going into a school big band, they don't really give a care. I don't think...

JS100 is a copy of JOE SATRIANI's model.

I have had several students make their middle and high school jazz ensembles, and you are right, they don't care. I had one make it with a bridge bucker only strat. I eventually found her a used Washburn 335 clone for $125.
    Last edited by derek; 08-04-2008 at 09:59 PM. Reason: typo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MissMisstreater
    yeah, its not acceptable in public, but it will do fine

i used to play jazz on my ibanezPGM400 then i bought a cheap ibanez arcore

the dream is the ibanez jp20
    The JP20 is nice. I first saw it on a trip to the UK back in the 80's and fell in love with the ebony style tail piece. The only issue for me was the pick up placement. It's 'in between' where the neck and bridge pups would go and that's where I pick. But still anice guitar. You have good taste in guitars

I see these come up on the gbase gear website every now and then. I'll bet you can find a few on e-bay. (If you feel comfortable shopping on e-bay)

User Info Menu

Back in my "straight up metal and harcore days" I played an RG before I got the S470DX.

WIth my S470DX there is like absolutely no bulk and I do get afew good jazz tones from it. I think its only about 1/2 an inch thick at the edges. And its pretty light too.

User Info Menu

I see you've seen BTBAM live, so I'm assuming you listen to them. Paul uses an S1625TKS, S520WNF, and a S2170FB, mostly. He tends to get some rather beutiful jazz sounds thanks to his Roland JC-120 Jazz Chorus pedal. You could always look into chorus pedals if you want a jazz tone (you'd be surprised).

Of course, his guitars have EMGs, which despite how "metal" that pickup is, I find it has a very deep, resonate tone.
    I hope this helps.

User Info Menu

i'm not quite ready to chop up my guitar yet. Well modify it for those of you who don't get my slang.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stefan volta
    He tends to get some rather beutiful jazz sounds thanks to his Roland JC-120 Jazz Chorus pedal. You could always look into chorus pedals if you want a jazz tone (you'd be surprised).
    not to be nitpicky, but a JC-120 is an amplifier, not a pedal. you could consider a chorus pedal, but i don't really think any pedals are necessary for a good jazz tone

User Info Menu

I think you can get a good tone out of just about any decent instrument. I still have the Ibanez RG135 that I have played forever (upper right corner) as well as the PM20 next to it (my main axe now). Each is a good choice, depending on the tune and arrangement. I have heard amazing things from good players on just about every type of instument.

My current stable of horses:

User Info Menu

I've never possessed a shred guitar, but a barrier for me if I try to play Jazz on my Strat, for ex., is the plain 3rd string. It, or rather the pickups, doesn't generally like a wound 3rd. If your guitar is ok with it, that's a change I would make*.
    *Try a wound 3rd, that is. (Hazards of posting when one's brain is tired).
    Last edited by Peter C; 09-01-2008 at 01:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Well, Ibanez does have a nice guitar that could well suit you- Artcore AJD 91. It's a semi acoustic with f-holes, but with a shape quite similar to SA series and quite thin. It has two humbuckers, so i guess it can produce some really jazzy sounds. Maybe you can check it out. I don't think 335 would be good for you, it's a big guitar, although it is thin. Another possibility for you would be a Thinline Tele.

My 2 cents

Peace

User Info Menu

I feel kinda weird thinking that Ibanez only made shred guitars for along time. Its probably because I own 2 of their shredder axes and my main expert in knowledge is shred guitars.

I tried afew Epiphone semi hollows, not really my type and too heavy (size wise).

User Info Menu

Brian Moore has a nice little guitar. I think John Abercrombie uses one of his models. I think it's the i9 series