The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 61 of 61

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kojo27
    My response, Patrick2, is similar to Vihar's. With all due respect to you, I think it would behoove you to understand and begin applying to your life the fact that you *choose* to become "perturbed" and "angered" and "affected" and "offended" at others' words. Let it slide - it's just someone else's opinion! Judging from your words above, it appears that you value Vihar's, and my, opinion of you over your own opinion of you!

Too many of us have been taught to value others' opinions that way. What will people think!? Very unhealthy, Patrick. Keep in mind that you don't have an "anger" button on your chin, or wherever, that Vihar, or I, or anyone, can push and "make" you become angry -- or offended. You ALWAYS choose emotions like these. And in saying this, I swear to you, I'm *not* trying to "make" you feel embarrassed, or condescended to, and I'm not lecturing. I say this only because so many have never considered the truth in this, and it's fundamental to being a happy (or happier) person. Next time you find yourself about to say, or think, something like, "You make me SO mad!" - STOP. Tell yourself, "I am choosing to become angry here. I can choose not to do so. I can respect my own opinion of myself, love myself, give peace to myself, change the atmosphere of this encounter, and have a better day."

Read _Your Erroneous Zones_ by Wayne Dyer. It's short and about this one concept. Published in 1976 or 77, it has never gone out of print. This book changed my life forever, for the better, when my mom made me read it at age 17.

If everyone who had, say, $32,000 to blow would join some effort to buy copies of that book and distribute them to graduating high-school seniors (with the $500 reward it would take to get most seniors just to read the damned thing) - wow. What a healthier world this could lead to.

Now: honest-to-goodness, Patrick2: I'm delighted that you have the guitars you like! But for clarified thoughts on "snobbery" and guitar-buying, etc., see my next post. I'm separating these two on purpose.

kj

5 cents please!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

By the way Patrick No. 2, if you really are a Heritage representative as you stated in your signature, I have to say you're doing a god awful job. At least I wouldn't have thought that whining around on an internet forum would suit that kind of profile. Not a very smart way to gain future customers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vihar
    By the way Patrick No. 2, if you really are a Heritage representative as you stated in your signature, I have to say you're doing a god awful job. At least I wouldn't have thought that whining around on an internet forum would suit that kind of profile. Not a very smart way to gain future customers.
    I'm done with you vihar!!

User Info Menu

Gents...

The Ad Hom stuff is weak, and out of line...cool it or I'll have to close it.

Everybody has a different income, a different way of spending their money, a different threshold as to what is "too much" and "just right" for luxury spending...and we'll never convince someone who feels differently their opinion is wrong...keep that in mind, as you dig into these kinds of arguements.

somebody else on the guitars and gizmos section of the forum has discovered a peerless monarch archtop guitar. It looks nice and it isn't over a grand which is also nice. I might see about finding one to try out to see what it sounds and feels like.

User Info Menu

I got to learn a bit about the recent history of Fender--sometime in the mid 90s, they decided to challenge Gibson on the arch top front and move away- a bit-- from their usual assortment of "plank"/"slab" guitars. Thus, they bought up Guild, licensed designs from Jimmy D'Aquisto (alas, Jimmy was to pass away soon thereafter) , and bought in and hired arch top master, Bob Benedetto, in-house.

I got to see an actual what looks like a Benedetto, but with the cursive "f-e-n-d-e-r" letters on the headstock. That was weird.

Alas, it was not to be, and, although they still own Guild (as well as Gretsch, I believe), Fender moved away from the arch top business in the mid 2000s and returned to the world of "slab"/"plank" guitars.

There are probably some bargains to be found, used, from that brief time Fender decided to produce beautiful arch tops in competition with Gibson.

One of the absolute bargains you will find from that period (can be had for about 400-500 USD used) is the DeArmond X-155 (made by Fender under the auspices of Guild)--Guitar Center used to sell them until about 2006, when they were discontinued. These are fantastic bargains, gigable guitars, great components.

User Info Menu

Reverse snobbery and snobbery: two sides of the same coin. Let the boys play with their toys without all this name-calling.

Taken to its ridiculous extreme, we'll all soon be playing cigar boxes strung with barbed wire because "they sound better". Thomastiks? Who needs them overpriced pieces of whaay-re?

User Info Menu

live and let live
    but
    make sure you have a guitar, any guitar, and enjoy it!
    and
    i think mr beamont sees it quite clearly

as for fenders and archtop-i have played those old roger rosemeisel (sp?) guitars-with a bolt on neck-and i will simply say-it was like seeing a fish in a tree -something about fender and archtops just doest do it for me-kinda like seeing a rembrandt by dot matirx -and they didnt feel too good in hand, under the arm or in the ear-but that was a long time ago
    i have always loved guilds

the new benedettos are 'only' half the price of those built by the big b himself

i just tend think there may be a better value-not a lower price mind you

see 'we guitarists' are pretty traditional

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    I got to learn a bit about the recent history of Fender--sometime in the mid 90s, they decided to challenge Gibson on the arch top front and move away- a bit-- from their usual assortment of "plank"/"slab" guitars. Thus, they bought up Guild, licensed designs from Jimmy D'Aquisto (alas, Jimmy was to pass away soon thereafter) , and bought in and hired arch top master, Bob Benedetto, in-house.

I got to see an actual what looks like a Benedetto, but with the cursive "f-e-n-d-e-r" letters on the headstock. That was weird.

Alas, it was not to be, and, although they still own Guild (as well as Gretsch, I believe), Fender moved away from the arch top business in the mid 2000s and returned to the world of "slab"/"plank" guitars.

There are probably some bargains to be found, used, from that brief time Fender decided to produce beautiful arch tops in competition with Gibson.

One of the absolute bargains you will find from that period (can be had for about 400-500 USD used) is the DeArmond X-155 (made by Fender under the auspices of Guild)--Guitar Center used to sell them until about 2006, when they were discontinued. These are fantastic bargains, gigable guitars, great components.

yeah.

i own one of those Guild/Benedettos. i have more expensive guitars too. they tend to stay in their cases a lot.

funny that.

User Info Menu

The Guild Benedetto Johnny Smith Award is a great guitar. I own a 2002 opulent brown model. Its' tone is just amazing. Great player too. I'm currently negotiating with a broker for a Guild Benedetto X700. They're just amazing guitars. This particular X700 has just a single neck pup . . mounted in the top with parallel bracing. I didn't even know they made an X700 like that. That's kinda like a Gibson L5 Wes Montgomery. I'm hoping the broker and I can come to terms.

User Info Menu

good luck, sounds great.

i think these Guild/Benedettos were bargains considering their build quality, materials, luthiers involved (same guys), and pricing - relative to the flagship models.