The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 114

User Info Menu

I just rewired my Charvel ST Custom with components from Hoagland Brothers.

New CTS pots and switches (a 5 way, plus a three-way to pull in the 2nd bridge pickup as well as out of phase and coil tap), swapped the .47 orange drop capacitor on the tone for a Mojotone Vitamin T .22 paper in oil, and added a mod to the volume pot (vintage K40y-9 .001 paper in oil cap in parallel with a 100K, 1/4 watt carbon resistor) to stop treble bleed. I just bought the components-not a harness. To say this is a night and day change to the guitar is to put it lightly. I highly recommend this company. Great communications, great prices and great products.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

it sounds and plays like a 600 dollar guitar if it's set up properly. I wouldn't really recommend them but for an affordable instrument that can get you pretty far it's not that bad. I think honestly the Ibanez guitars around that range are a little bit better. I'd probably wait, save up to 1000 and start looking at 2nd hand Eastmans

User Info Menu

It's a very different guitar than the dot...the JP is much deeper and fully hollow.

It's an OK guitar for the money. I agree that if you want a blingy set humbucker archtop on a budget, ibanez probably gives you even more bang for the buck.

It might be tough to hold out and to find a used eastman for around 1k, but it's in a completely different league than epi's and ibanezes.

User Info Menu

Have an Epi JP, built by Samick in the early 90's. It took me from starting out on jazz guitar to the point whereby I felt I was getting good enough to move on up. Still keep it as a substitute (have gigged it in "tougher" venues) and am planning on having some work done to it when I return from holiday/vacation over the next couple of weeks (in Hilton Head Island, for those with the slightest cuiosity). Am contemplating having p-90's put in to make it sound totally different from my Vestx D'Angelico NYL-5. Plus as tailpiece that doesn't go "sproing" when you catch it and a scratchplate that looks a bit more normal and doesn't have on it a signature that I will never live up to.......

User Info Menu

Is the 'Joe Pass' the best jazz archtop - no, of course it isn't; but that's not the point is it. Is it good enough to feel your way into jazz guitar, discover what you like in an archtop so you can make an informed decision when the time comes - yes, of course it is. There's a whole range of good budget guitars these days from Epi and Ibanez. There's the Epi ES175 (deeper body) and various AF and AK models from Ibanez. Yes you can wait and save up, but what does that teach you in the meantime, what are you learning to play on while you do it. I bought the 'Joe Pass' as a step on the way in my musical education. I took the pick-guard off it (don't like pick-guards) and changed the bling-bling tail piece that goes 'boing' for a plain trapeze. I then went slightly mad and put '57 Classics' in it (I'd got rather attached to it by this time). Works OK. I'm a hobby guitarist and probably will never justify moving up to a more expensive archtop - although quality instruments are a joy in themselves, providing you've got the cash. Given the choice between listening to me playing Joe's Gibson or Joe playing my 'Joe Pass', the entire world and his dog would pick Joe Pass playing my 'Joe Pass'. Is it better than the DOT. It's a better archtop than the DOT, but then the DOT is a better semi than the 'Joe Pass'. Maybe if you want a more general purpose guitar for your studies a semi might be better, but if you want an archtop the 'Joe Pass', or any of the good budget guitars, are OK. There are other semi's though - the Shearaton and the Ibanez AS range is particularly good. You learn an awful lot about setting up a guitar with a budget guitar - stuff that will help you pick out a better guitar when the times comes later on.

User Info Menu

I have an Epi Joe Pass and will go out on a limb and say it's the best jazz guitar for under $1000, when properly set up. I got mine for $400 on Ebay, a 1999 Samick with the plastic still under the bridge. Best $400 I ever spent, as it got me back into jazz playing in a big way.

I agree with the advice for getting out there and playing and learning the craft, then you can trade up or, more likely, get more guitars as you progress.

I also had a Dot which is OK for what it does but I found it deficient as a jazzbox.

User Info Menu

I've got the 2008 model which came out of Korea (last year for them there). I think the ones after that came from China. The later Korean made ones like mine are good for the money (but not excellent). However, I've heard lots of bad about the newer ones from China. Mostly with the quality of the finish work and the electronics.

The electronics aren't hot in these. If you do buy one new, I suggest playing the hell out of it as hard and loud as you can to find it's breaking point so you can get warranty work done on it. If you buy it used, get it for under $500 and plan on either upgrading electronics or trading up in a few years.

I'm a pretty staunch supporter of them for the most part, I just figure you want an honest opinion. But, for $700 to $800 you can get an Ibenez or even a better Epi new and be a little happier (or you could get an even better used guitar and be really happy).

Whatever you end up with, take it to your luthier and have them set it up (and ask if you can help/watch).

~DB

User Info Menu

I have both. I still play the Joe Pass but the Dot sits in its case. I put humbucker sized P-90 pickups (Phat Cats) in the Joe Pass and it sounds worlds better than with the factory pickups.

My advice would be to get a used Joe Pass made in one of the Korean factories instead of a new one which is likely made in Indonesia or China. It should be several hunred dollars cheaper and you could upgrade pickups and electronics for the cost of a new one that would still be needing all that.

User Info Menu

I've played the JP epi and I can't say I was super impressed, but it was at GC and probably not properly setup . I have a artcore AK95 which I got for $400. It plays better and appeared to be of better quality construction in my opinion.

User Info Menu

I have a JP and I find nothing wrong with it. I set it up myself and it gets a nice deep well modulated sound and looks and feels great. I haven't owned or played anything under a grand that felt and sounded as good and I've tried several at well over a grand that also didn't sound as good (to my ear anyway).
    You might be able to find a better jazz guitar for somewhere near that price but you'd have to really work hard at it!
    I have a feeling many complaints are made based on limited time with a poorly set-up (or NON set-up) guitar with really crappy strings.
    Last edited by Retroman1969; 08-05-2011 at 01:04 AM.

User Info Menu

I can't seem to find any nut width specs for either the JP or Artcore. I play a JP and would guess the nut width is 1 11/16 like Gibsons. For me, I wouldn't want to get any slimmer as I like the 1 3/4 width on my Loar and Taylor.

Anyone have specs for the Artcores?

I play my '04 MIK JP through a JazzAmp PhatCat and although the stock pups are awkward (mushy), I find myself 'proud' of my $425 (used) archtop for what it can do. My proficiency is probably beginner moving into intermediate territory. Right now I've got chrome FW 12s on it but am going to try 13s on the next change. I haven't changed the set up as it came very easy to play.

User Info Menu

I have a JP, one of the made in Korea ones have heard these are better than the chinese output but have no experience of this personally. I changed the neck pup for a Bare knuckle manhattan (hand wound single coil in humbucker form) this transformed the sound to the extent that I initially found it hard to play as the sound was so different it kept distracting me!!

Obviously it is still a budget archtop but it is reasonably well made and with the pup upgrade gives me a tone I like.

I also have a epi dot that I bought before the JP, it gets played very seldom as it sounds so muddy compared to the improved JP. This might well also be improved if I changed the stock pickups. I bought the dot as I thought it would be versatile - problem was for me it never nailed the jazz tone I was looking for. With hindsight I should have bought the JP in the first place.

User Info Menu

It depends on what tone you are after.
    If you are after a real jazz full hollow body tone, go for JP. Dot and Sheraton are alright and you can get quite a round tone and is quite versatile, but you will never have the sound of a real hollowbody.

That being said, JP is alright for the money, but not a "great" guitar. But I prefer it over Ibanez in the same price range - it sounds sweeter and warmer.

User Info Menu

I picked up a Korean JP II last week @ Guitar Center. It was the best-playing under-$1K archtop they had (I tried 2 Gretch, 2 Godin, and 2 other Epiphones, don't remember the model #s). Once I got it home, put on some new flatwounds, and tweaked the setup, I'm even happier with how it plays.

I'm saving for an Eastman PG-1 or PG-2. In the meantime, this will do, and is far better for learning jazz on than my Taylor 420 that I was using prior.

User Info Menu

I'm a big fan of Epi archtops, owning a Dot, Sheraton, ES-175, Joe Pass, and a Broadway (as well as a lot of other guitars, including Ibanez). The JP is an excellent guitar for the money; a good set up and great strings will make it sing for you. You can't go wrong with the ES-175 reissue, either -- and you'll save a hundred bucks toward the Gibson of your dreams. My Epi jazz boxes compare favorably with the more expensive guitars I own.

User Info Menu

Also a big fan of Epi, I got a Regent and a Joe Pass and tomorrow I finally will have my first semi : a Sheraton.
    I might keep that one stock...hmm we will see.
    Regarding that Joe Pass specifically, its the one that gets played the most if it tells something.
    These affordable guitars are not only fun to play, but also fun to cusomize provided you don't endup putting too much money in them if you plan to sell...
    Last edited by vinlander; 08-07-2011 at 05:50 PM.

User Info Menu

I've had both the MIK and MIC JP's and the MIK was a much better made guitar. I unfortunately sold the MIK one and replaced it later with the Chinese one. I planned on upgrading the Chinese one, but when I started stripping the parts off it, it struck me as being little more than a cardboard box with a neck on it, so it got stuffed in the closet and there it remains. Epi used to be a good guitar for the money but I'm not sure that's still true.

Bill

User Info Menu

My Joe Pass is a very early Samick / Korea model. It's tone is VERY mellow, far more so than my ES-175. Not that the 175 is bad, not by a long stretch but the JP has a special warmth. The action has to be played to be believed.

I've read that the later models from Indonesia and China aren't nearly as good sounding. If this is true and someone is looking for an older model, the Korean model serial numbers start with S.

The Wine red and cherry sunburst are discontinued and only the natural and vintage burst are available as of 11/2012.

User Info Menu

Update: I did replace the pickups on my JP with Stew Mac Golden Age Parsons Street Alnico 2's. It is a nice improvement--more balanced, less muddy. I wouldn't say it's a revolutionary change, but if you're looking for something to fettle with it's a cheap upgrade.

I also replace the tuners which were indeed cheap-a$$ and one of which had a broken post when I removed it. That's another easy fix (but not necessary with a new guitar).

User Info Menu

Doc, where / when was your made? Mine doesn't say JP on it anywhere, and the orange label says EMPEROR not EMPEROR2. When I called Gibson with my Samick serial number and a description they said it's not possible and thought it may be a prototype, though for certain it's a JP. See pic below.

My neck is better than ANY of my bigger boxes including my ES137 custom, ES175, ES345, and Gretsch 3161 so 3x to duplicate a neck like mine might be a bit light!

I have been thinking of changing the neck pup it "could" use some more high end but I know I'd miss that smooth tone... wish it had 3 pups :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    Doc, where / when was your made? Mine doesn't say JP on it anywhere, and the orange label says EMPEROR not EMPEROR2. When I called Gibson with my Samick serial number and a description they said it's not possible and thought it may be a prototype, though for certain it's a JP. See pic below.
    Samick 1999.

I would put this guitar up against anything less than $1000 and many more than that. I like it better than the Gibson ES-175 I had years ago, but maybe that's because I know more about playing and about setup now...

The neck in particular is THE BEST I have ever played on. The tuners and electronics are not top of the line but I would compare them to others in that price range. I agree you should play a variety of guitars and see what you think.

User Info Menu

If you bought your JP used, I assume that someone prior to you replaced the truss rod cover with a plain one and rubbed the "Joe Pass" off the pickguard. I believe that the earlier Emporer models had the pickup switch on the lower bout and were mainly made in Japan.

User Info Menu

Update: Fixed!

After living with it for a while and even consulting my local genius tech, Ralph Perta of Guitar Syndicate, I finally chose to replace the electronics and one pickup. A package arrived from StewMac about a year ago (yeah, I'm a busy guy) and I got around to it this last weekend.

Ralph let me set up on a spare bench in his shop and I went to work. As I'm putting in the parts back in after a successful test (not my first test), Ralph hands me a humbucker from an eighties Les Paul to put in for the neck pickup.

I got it all put back together, restrung, and tuned up. The result: awesome. It sounds nice and clean, the distortion or gruimble is not there anymore, and I found I have a knack with a soldering iron.

All around, great weekend. I spent all of $150 on this and some time.

~Danny

User Info Menu

The following videos shows a comparison of two classic jazz songs played with a pick and fingerstyle. The guitar comparison is between Dean Palomino Solo vs. Epiphone Joe Pass vs. Gibson ES335. In my opinion, these three guitars give a fine jazz tone; however, for what I am playing, I like the Epi JP the most... but you decide for yourself.

WITH A PICK

FINGERSTYLE

The sound was recorded with following setting: Guitar to Cube 80XL amp, all settings at 5, reverb at 2. Shure 57 mic in front of the amplifier, connected to a Yamaha mixer (102c). The mixer rec output was connected to the computer mic input jack with 35% level. Gain on the mixer was set to 5 for pick and 7 for fingerstyle.

The process of searching for a nice jazz tone has been very frustrating for me. Plenty of good advice simply tells you: trust your ears. The problem is that guitar stores normally do not have a great selection of jazz guitars, and without parallel comparison it is REALLY difficult to decide which guitar is better suited for that personal quest for tone. Then you realize you do not have what you are looking for (or that you do) when you play at real volumes in a live venue. Before these guitars, I went through Gibson Les Paul, Gretsch Electromatic 5420, Epiphone Lucille. I own the 335 and bought the Epi and Dean last week; I have to return one of them soon... probably it will be the Dean. The Dean Palomino Solo produces more feedback than the Epi JP,

What I have learned in searching for THE jazz tone is: (i) visit Matt Otten's web site and read his advice on music, gear, technique, and tone; it is the most honest and realistic advice I have read on the web. BTW, Matt produces incredible tones in the most unlikely guitars... that tells you something about technique. (ii) Pickups: Gibson Classic 57, Ibanez 58, Epiphone Alnico Classic are great for a jazzy sound. (iii) The hollow body produces a tone depth that no semi-hollow or solid guitar can emulate, so limit your energy investment chasing that rabbit. (iv) Some people complain about plywood being used in cheap guitars... that is BS because the legendary Gibson ES 175 is made of plywood. (v) You do not have to spend a fortune to get a decent tone; many snobs tell everyone that if it is not made in the USA at a premium of several thousand, the guitar is worth nothing; nowadays production systems around the world in the very competitive market of guitars can deliver very good quality a reasonable prices.

I post this video with the hope that it will assist guitar buyers in making a decision.

User Info Menu

What are your thoughts/experiences with the Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor?

It has an attractive price ($599.00) and almost everyone who has reviewed it claims it is a far better guitar than the price would indicate, and has a better sound than Ibanez.