The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Recently acquired an Epiphone Emporer Regent fitted with their 'Frequensator ' tailpiece and due to the construction of the tail piece I found a problem finding stringsets with a D string long enough too fit on the guitar. Has anyone else come across this problem and/ or could anyone advise me how to deal with this. I can't believe Epiphone would produce an instrument that that cannot be strung!!!

Hope to hear from someone soon.

Robin3220.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

google it.. known issue

I made replacement forks. No one has noticed they are not the original and they cost me 5$ for 3 of them.

I never found the article but read that the frequensator was a gimmick to get people to use Epiphone Branded strings (with a long D)

You dont mention what you are looking for, round or flatwound.

EDIT: Oh.. and welcome aboard

User Info Menu

Not sure how easily available at your neck of the woods, but John Pearse makes a jazz guitar nickel wound set with an extra long D. Not only that, but they are pretty much the best strings on the market. I use them on my -49 Emperor. Not sure if there's a flatwound set available though. I've had Pyramid Gold set on the same guitar too, the D string barely made it, but worked out anyway. Those are good too.

Edit: just noticed that the Pearse set was mentioned in another thread:
    http://www.juststrings.com/jps-2920.html
    Last edited by 63Bigsby; 08-02-2011 at 09:34 AM.

Many thanks to both of those who replied to my query.

User Info Menu

>the frequensator was a gimmick to get people to use Epiphone Branded strings

Yeah, but that was 80 years ago !!! Nowadays most string manufacturers are pretty well aware of Epiphone guitars

Robin what brand strings are you using then ???? I have several Epiphones and all the string sets I tried fit perfectly. I have Daddario J12s, Martin 80/20, Savarez, T.I. etc on mine. All good.

The only time I encountered a string that was too short was on the first batch of TI's, when they were just introduced. When I mailed Tomastik they sent me longer D strings, and nowadays all their sets are perfectly fitting for Epi's too. I never heard of a recent brand of strings that is too short for Epiphone.
    Last edited by fws6; 08-02-2011 at 11:10 AM.

User Info Menu

When I still had my Emperor, I used GHS flatwound set 1000 which is .013 gauge. Then again, I used the instrument with a pickup. If you want to put bronze strings on, I would go to where you normally buy your strings, and ask them if you can see the D string and set it (not string it) against the guitar to see if it will fit. If they refuse to help you, I'd go somewhere else. I hope this helps.

Message to Fws6.

Thanks for your reply to my query. The last strings I fitted are Dunlop Nickel plated steel 10 - 46.( Round) My guitar has a string length of about 98 cm. from the frequensator to the tuning peg and the D string was about 99cm. making stringing not very comfortable. I notice when dealers advertise strings they never quote string length - except John Pearse ( thanks for the info Bigsby!) who does a set with an extra long D but the gauge is a bit heavy for me.

Thanks again for the reply.

User Info Menu

An extra string length of 1 cm is doable if you make the knot, but certainly not handy. Never tried 010's on a jazz guitar nor played the dunlops. Can I ask why do you use the dunlops ? They seem to be a very bright string targeted almost exclusively at metal players. For the same money DAddario's or Ernie Balls will fit for sure.

Message to Fws6.

The reason I have Dunlops on the guitar is simply that when I got the guitar I thought I would try a set of flat wounds because I was aware that a lot of jazz players prefer them. After putting them on the guitar and playing for a while I decided they were not for me. Yes they provide a smooth sound but I feel that they lose a lot in responsiveness so I decided to change them and I happened to have these Dunlops blying around so I put them on. I agree absolutely that they are not the most uistable for this guitar but I had to get rid of those flat wounds and I won't be buying any more. I ought to explain that although I,ve been playing a long time this is my first jazz type guitar. I've been playing blues for many many years but I always loved swing blues a'la Basie Christian Goodman and Co. and that's why I bought the Regent.

Thanks very much for your advice and suggestions which I'll certainly be following.

R.

User Info Menu

I had the same experience with flats, they suck the tone right out ;-) Some people swear by them; I play em on my electric archtop (L5CES); but on all the others (mainly acoustic archtops) I have rounds to get a much more lively and responsive tone. Mostly Daddario 013 gauge EJ22 's

User Info Menu

+1 on the John Pearse "Long D" set. great strings, and not just because they are long enough! i recently also tried a set of Pyramids on my 40' Epi DeLuxe and the D was also long enough. so far they sound great, but they better considering how much they cost.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mattymel
    +1 on the John Pearse "Long D" set. great strings, and not just because they are long enough! i recently also tried a set of Pyramids on my 40' Epi DeLuxe and the D was also long enough. so far they sound great, but they better considering how much they cost.
    Wow, a 40 Epi Deluxe. I would't mind being seen on a bandstand with that. That's definitely a winner. I just had to mention that.

User Info Menu

I've been using Thomastic Spectrum Bronze .013 strings for twenty years on all my acoustic arch-tops but on my recently purchased 1938 Epiphone Broadway I find them to short. The total length of the string is long enough but the properly winded length of the string don't reaches the nut. I have contacted Thomastic and they say don't have long enough bronze strings.

Since I've been so satisfied with Thomastic Spectrum Bronze for such a long time I haven't fooled around with other strings and I would be very happy for recommendations on .013 bronze strings long enough to fit a frequensator tail-piece.

Now when I have to take a walk on the wild side I'm a bit tempted to try round-core bronze strings and maybe .014's if they are long enough. Glad for any suggestions.

Thanks,

Jacob Ullberger
    Sweden

User Info Menu

A good lesson here is also, when looking for an Emperor, always also search for an Emporer. No idea why, but the mis-spelling is common.

User Info Menu

An old thread but a good one. Jacob, the best recourse is to make a longer set of forks for the Frequensator tailpiece. Keep the original short ones. Or get a modern reproduction Frequensator with long tines (make sure the mounting screw-holes line up) and store the original 1938 one.

I have a Made in Japan Epiphone Broadway Elitist with the troublesome Frequensator. I use the John Pearse Long D Nickel Wound string set but I am at the point where I am saying, screw it and get an extra set of long forks for the tailpiece.

D string too short for  epiphone frequensator tailpiece-tp-0433-002-jpg

User Info Menu

Thanks for your advice, Jabberwocky. I think I'll try some other string brands that will fit but if I'm not satisfied with them getting longer tail-piece forks is a good solution. But I like the idea of keeping the guitar as it was intended to be.

I did a search last night, contacting string makers that manufactures .013 and .014 sets of bronze (80/20) round wounds and all three makers I found (GHS, LaBella and Curt Mangan) had D-strings long enough for my guitar.

I ordered GHS and LaBella and will experiment with .013, 0.14, bronze and phosphor-bronze to see what the guitar responds best with.

- Jacob Ullberger