The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 93 of 93

User Info Menu

That was a good clip of Jimmy Rosenberg, though he gets a bit drowned out towards the end.

Does Vignola alternate pick? I got the vibe he was mainly doing downstrokes on string changes - maybe a hybrid between gypsy picking and alternate?

That clip with Jimmy was a while ago, Frank looks really young there. On this version of Limehouse he pretty much plays near the bridge, doing what looks like mostly downstrokes. I've tried searching on what picking technique and pick he uses but didn't find anything - be interested to know exactly what he's doing.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    That must be a loud dred...

IME, even the cheapest Gitanes are louder than any Martin "banjo killer" I've played. Be sure to have somebody play it for you and sit in front...especially with a petit bouche.
    That's strange that it has so much affect on sound.

AmundLauritzen
    1: They use alternate picking or any picking style with too many upstrokes for GJ.

2: They pick too close to the neck. The "sweet spot" is generally just where the soundhole begins, this is assuming the guitar is an oval hole.
    Well, my picking is pretty much the same as GJ picking. Close to bridge, right at the edge of the hole on the bridge side. Not in the middle, closer to bridge.

I try not to use too many upstrokes, but I do sometimes, depends on intonation and mood of phrase and I think every GJ player use upstrokes sometimes.
    In this case I tried to follow all of these GJ playing rules, so I could get maximum out of this guitar and still....

Was it the fact that I'm player and listener at the same time? Might it be environment? Noise in the shop? (although shop was not so noisy, I got to go upstairs for acoustic section and no one was there...)

P.S. That is a really cool video. I recognized Jimmy there and I like drummer's drum kit

User Info Menu

I went to Frank's show last week. It was really nice.
    There were some guys watching the show from outside the hall, the door was open so they just stood there with their guitar cases.
    I didn't notice them, I was just watching show, until Frank stopped playing and was like:
    "Hey come on guys, let's play together, you have guitars, do you have cable? come on stage lets have some jam!"

The guy was too shy, then Frank sent his rhythm guitarist, Vinny Raniolo, to bring this guy on stage, but he ended up only having his guitar on stage as hostage

Finally some guy, who was probably instructor of the group of these strangers, came over on to stage, brought all of his students, although first shy guy still stayed on seat, they all took out their GJ guitars and Frank was like:
    -"what key are we in?",
    -"G!"
    -"okay!"

And they set the stage on fire.
    It was really cool.

Sorry for off, but I wanted to share this jazz experience, although I was only a spectator.

User Info Menu

So I've been bitten by the gypsy jazz bug. Can you guys suggest a good guitar. I'm not looking for an over the top super expensive model but I also believe in buying once and wisely.
    Thanks

User Info Menu

Gitane, that's the go to lower end brand. I have a 250M from them and it is amazing. I got it for a steal from a local player. I'd recommend trying the same.

User Info Menu

Check out Altamira too, and Latcho Drom for a bit more scratch.

User Info Menu

My information is that the Altamira and Latcho Drom guitars are made in the same shop. I have played both and the only difference to me was the neck profile, the Altamira had a more modern feel where the Latcho neck was more traditional but not a baseball bat.

I gig with a Latcho Drom Djangology, which is a D soundhole. It also has a Bigtone pickup/bridge pickup installed and I use it occasionally. I owned a Gitane previously, and the Latcho is a nice upgrade without breaking the bank. Every now and then I get the GAS for a Dupont, that's the "go to" GJG. The Nomad model has a bolt on neck and has the bark for about 2K.
    However, you can get something entry level easily for half that. If at possible, narrow it down to oval or D sound hole model. There are advantages to both, however I find the D shape a bit more versatile.
    Attached Images Attached Images Budget Gypsy Jazz Style Guitars Review-t2ec16dhjiie9qtylicobrwc5msq-60_57-jpg 

User Info Menu

Wow thanks so much!! At least now I can research properly. I've read that the shape of the sound hole relates to scale size.
    Is there more to sound hole shape?

User Info Menu

GJG's vary in specs, however 670mm is a fairly common scale length, 14 frets to the body. The usual line on the sound hole is: the oval hole guitars have a more cutting tone which is preferred for lead work. The D shape is preferred for rhythm work. The oval hole won't sound as loud to you as the player, however they project like crazy and will be present and loud to your audience.
    These are huge generalizations and only reflect my opinion. The D shape is just fine for lead work and chord/rhythm work can be stunning on a oval hole. It is unfortunate that there are not many opportunities to A/B GJG's unless you attend one of the festivals or live near Seattle (djangobooks) Chicago (Caravan) or Laguna Beach (Django guitars).
    Also, you may be a bit baffled by the position markers on some instruments. Some have a marker on the 10th fret and it may seem odd at first, but you get used to it.

I would also caution you-these instruments can be highly addictive. They should have a dry "bark" and be very loud compared to something like a dreadnaught.

User Info Menu

That tone on Gonzalo!! Anyone know the make of these guitars wow

User Info Menu

Saga makes a pretty good budget GJG. I played one and thought it was OK.

http://jazztimes.com/articles/14833-saga-gitane-guitars
    Last edited by mrcee; 07-27-2015 at 09:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Can someone suggest a good place to buy from. Unfortunately there are non by me so I have to buy online. My budget is 1500
    Last edited by Comeau; 07-28-2015 at 09:15 AM.

User Info Menu

I was recently at the Django Reinhardt festival in Samois. There are about twenty luthier booths behind the area where the main stage is... a gypsy jazz guitar shopper's dream. I tried everything I could get my hands on. I would add that I presently have an Altimira M10. Some of the small unknown builders (at least to us in the States) are making some great guitars. I really liked a builder named Morgan Briant from Paris area. Eimers and Dupont were probably the two biggest names there for luthiers. Both great guitars, well known and respected. I also went to Marice Dupont's shop in Paris, where I could play in a less hectic room. I was the only one there with one salesman who was a player from Samois. I had originally set my eyes on a Dupont Nomade. However after playing some of the upper level models I changed my mind. The old saying "you get what you pay for" applies to Dupont guitars. A huge leap in sound quality when you enter the more expensive models. That being said, the salesman Florent, who was very helpful said some builders were charging much more than their instruments were worth. I believe I'll probably go with one of the more well known builders, only because of resale value. These will sell quicker because they are known to be consistent in quality. But I am tempted by some of the unknown guys who are building beautiful instruments. I also will probably go used to get as much guitar as I can afford. I would suggest the same to anyone else. Get one that is actually a little more than you can afford. You won't have to upgrade anytime soon and will have an instrument that will inspire you. Hope this is of some help and enjoy the journey.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Comeau
    Can someone suggest a good place to buy from. Unfortunately there are non by me so I have to buy online. My budget is 1500
    Jaco's post is really excellent, lots of great insight there from firsthand experience. Where are you located? That is going to be a factor. I'm sensing you may be in Europe, and in that case you may have more options than we do in the US.
    1500 would get you into a US (San Diego) Dell Arte used, opinions will vary, however they can be very good instruments.

User Info Menu

I have owned 4 Gitanes, 3 Duponts (still have two of them), 2 US made Dell Artes, a Shelly Park, a Michael Dunn and a JP Favino. Having performed at half a dozen Djangofests and having Djammed at half a dozen more, I have come to some conclusions about Gypsy guitars. Here they are:

1. These guitars are a bitch to play! Don't be fooled. Most guys who try to play Gypsy jazz on a Gypsy jazz guitar give it up within a few years. Knowing that, you should be prepared for failure. This means that you might want to get rid of your Gypsy guitar one day.

2. These guitars are a bitch to sell! Not much of a market for these odd ducks of a guitar. It is easier to sell the lowest end ones (Gitane, Cigano) because someone who wants to try it on can do so for not too much money. As far as higher end ones go, it can be quite difficult to sell them. The four brands that I think are easiest to sell (due to reputation) are Selmer, Busato, Favino (father or son) and Dupont.

3. Whether you like D hole vs oval hole or long scale (26.4) vs short scale (25.5), modern necks vs vintage (2x4) necks, laminate vs solid backs and sides, maple vs rosewood backs and sides, 10th fret marker vs 9th fret marker, 10's vs 11's for string choice (and which brand) is all a matter of personal choice. No right or wrong choices on any of this, and figuring out what you do like can be a time consuming and expensive chore!

Based on what I know, my recommended strategy to a person who wants to try Gypsy jazz is to start with a Gitane (Some are better than others, and that doesn't mean some models are better, it means that like all acoustic guitars, there is a wide variation in sound and playability between every guitar). If you like it and think that you will be a Gypsy jazzer for life, move up to a Dupont. Dupont's are the gold standard and can be had at a player's price (2-5K). The Favino's, Busato's and Selmers are for the rich collectors (most of whom are not the best players, sadly). While there are many fine luthiers making these guitars these days, a Dupont is a safer bet financially. I own two of them. They are my keepers.

There is my 2 cents. YMMV

Cheers,

Marc
    www.hotclubpacific.com

User Info Menu

Another thing, as far as Andreas and Gonzalo go (I have performed on stage with Andreas and Djammed with Gonzalo), make no mistake about it. Either of these guys will get a better sound out of a $300 Cigano than any of us will on a vintage Selmer. Tone is in the fingers.

User Info Menu

Makes total sense!! Thanks! Believe me I don't expect to sound like those guys I guess my concern is getting a guitar with good playability/action. Gjg is hard enough without having to fight the guitar. I'm gonna take your advise go low end now and see how it goes. Thanks

User Info Menu

Consider buying one from a luthier. Here in germany they start a little upwards of 2k and you get a fantastic instrument.