The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 93

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bananafist
    Meggy - sounds like Add4's comments re the Cigano might work in your favour, with your intended usage! Do try some other guitars if you go to Hobgoblin, so you know its really what you want. You may not need the strong attack and relatively short sustain of a gypsy style guitar for your planned usage. Good luck!
    Last time I checked JLVs guitars were c £2000+.
    Maybe that is true re the Cigano, I will have to try one to see what I think in the end, so a trip to Hobgoblin in Leeds seems like a good idea to me. I would like a reasonable bit of that gypsy sound flavour in there as well though, even if I'm not playing that style most of the time.

Re JLV's stuff, you're right - I found a few in stock models on his website at about that sort of price. Worth every penny I'm certain, but too much for me!

Has anyone tried the Dell'Arte guitars by the way? I have found Foulds music in the UK, plus a few other retailers selling these at around £550 which is maybe £100 to £150 or so less than the standard Gitanes. Maybe I might just stretch to one if there is an appreciable gain over the Ciganos. Also there is a 14 fret D-hole Dell'Arte model which I find appealing.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

maybe you should consider getting a 'special' gitane, used.
    i sold my jorgenson for something like 800 euros.
    and it's definately much better than a DG255
    lulo model is also good, but the neck is really thin, i didn't liked that particular thing about it
    Last edited by add4; 06-22-2011 at 01:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by add4
    maybe you should consider getting a 'special' gitane, used.
    i sold my jorgenson for something like 800 euros.
    and it's definately much better than a DG255
    lulo model is also good, but the neck is really thin, i didn't liked that particular thing about it
    I'm sure that was a great deal for someone, but 800 euros is still over £700 for me which is outside my range I'm afraid - I have to be strict with myself about this . There is a clip of a guy who sounds great (at least, he gets a good tone IMO) on a Dell Arte to me, I'm starting to be very tempted by one, what do you think?
    -it seems pretty loud!

Plus a couple of other relevant clips:

User Info Menu

Sounds pretty decent to me, maybe more accent on volume and 'bark' than tone, but you can't have everything. sounds like a a good choice, make sure to try one (the one you buy!!) before buying it. and have fun.
    Peace

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by add4
    Sounds pretty decent to me, maybe more accent on volume and 'bark' than tone, but you can't have everything. sounds like a a good choice, make sure to try one (the one you buy!!) before buying it. and have fun.
    Peace
    Well, I do appreciate that you can't have everything for the sort of money I'm paying, but at least I can try to get maximum bang for my buck! Probably ridiculous trying to make tonal assessments based on YouTube clips, but still, based on this limited evidence I find I prefer the sound of the Dell'Arte to the Ciganos, it seems to have a bit more bottom end depth, which I prefer, while still having that gypsy bark. Not as refined as a more expensive guitar though I grant you.

Thanks also for the advice to try anything I might be thinking of buying - I will do that - I guess the only way to be at all sure I'm not making a huge mistake!

User Info Menu

If you can, get a friend who plays to go with you. I find it helps to listen to someone else playing the guitar/s you're interested in, as well as playing them yourself, you get an idea of how it sounds to an audience.
    Enjoy it, anyway, and let us know which you choose.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bananafist
    If you can, get a friend who plays to go with you. I find it helps to listen to someone else playing the guitar/s you're interested in, as well as playing them yourself, you get an idea of how it sounds to an audience.
    Enjoy it, anyway, and let us know which you choose.
    Good idea, though probably it will have to be the guy from the shop - it's going to be a trip away, since my hometown music shops don't stock gypsy guitars. You bet I will enjoy the shopping though, cheers!

User Info Menu

I bought a "gerome", not a selmer design, but a very good value for 300euros.
    The production is over but you can find an used one on the net.

The sound is very nice for swing and gypsy music.

User Info Menu

This sure looks like a heck of a deal at $295:
    Saga Cigano GJ-0 STUDENT GYPSY JAZZ GUITAR - PETITE BOUCHE STYLE JAZZ GUITAR (Laminate Top)

The seller is a very reputable dealer in Seattle.

User Info Menu

THat is a good deal--however I've heard (not been able to try for myself) that the solid top Cigano's are a big step up in tone...

User Info Menu

Has anyone had experience with electro acoustic gypsy guitars and can recommend one?

I tried a gitane signature JJ model today (also known as the DG 300) and I was blown away with it compared to the cheap model gitanes. Problem is it would never leave the house cas it is only acoustic and im a gigging musician so was wondering if anyone knew a good electro-acoustic alternative? (ideally under £800/$1,300)

User Info Menu

How much was the jj? I"d grab that and a soundhole pickup like a stimer or peche a la mouche.

Crank the volume for solos...keep it low for rhythm...

User Info Menu

Not tried them, but these seem v. nice guitars, and they are largely handbuilt in the UK and the electric sound with the bridge pickup is quite impressive - to my ears.
    JWC Guitars Ltd

I'd certainly like one!

User Info Menu

Most gigging gypsy jazzers use an added amplification system.
    in general, amplifying gypsy jazz guitar is a pain since they reconate a lot and 'bark' they also feedback very easily.
    Common choices are stimer or peche a la mouche, or acoustic small microphones into the guitar. Most professionals still prefer using a good microphone in front of the guitar when they play on big venues.

I'd go for a peche a la mouche if i had to reinvest the money i've already invested

If you are going for a JJ, i'd advise to try to find a second hand REAL gypsy guitar hand built. The sound gap is the same between than between the Standard gitane and the JJ.
    in general, the gitanes have too much bass (this sounds good played alone, NOT good in a band), and are 'slow' (notes do not come out of the guitar as fast and suddenly as in real gypsy guitars.

I haven't tried the new ones, i had a standard gitane and a JJ a few years ago, bought a dupont 3 years ago and i couldn't go back

Hope that helps

User Info Menu

The gitane's are as real as you can get on a budget.

You're right though, gypsy jazz guitars are still one of those things where you get what you pay for...but I 5think gitane does a good job...my dg320 holds its own.

And yeah, the peche a la mouche is a great pickup.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the quick replies!

The gitane was close to £900 which is a little pricey. Depending on how bad my GAS gets I'll keep an eye out for a secound hand one.... I always prefer acoustics played it and I could save a lot.

Being that I am mainly an electric guitarist, I couldnt really justifty spending much more!

User Info Menu

I have both a cigano gj 10 and a gitane lulo reinhardt... and honestly I think the cigano sounds wayyyy better, its so much louder and it has much more of that gypsy tone! I think it may be partly the set up, I've been to lazy to set up my gitane like it should be, but also its just so beautiful, I just want to look at it and not play it. Whereas I really love to just really play my cigano with EMOTION! You can mess up your cigano and not really care and anyways it makes it so much more gypsy! But the gitane... Cigano's are really nice!

User Info Menu

I have a Gitane D-hole I'm very happy with but the cheaper Cigano gets excellent reviews.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jbd92
    I have both a cigano gj 10 and a gitane lulo reinhardt... and honestly I think the cigano sounds wayyyy better, its so much louder and it has much more of that gypsy tone! I think it may be partly the set up, I've been to lazy to set up my gitane like it should be, but also its just so beautiful, I just want to look at it and not play it. Whereas I really love to just really play my cigano with EMOTION! You can mess up your cigano and not really care and anyways it makes it so much more gypsy! But the gitane... Cigano's are really nice!

Sometimes a guitar just works for us.

Do get that Lulo a good set up though...that's what my duo partner uses, and it sounds amazing...and VERY loud...

User Info Menu

Yes I really need to since I spent so much on it! The person I bought it from had it set up with very low action which I think also accounts for how quiet it is...

User Info Menu

Yep...that's such a big trade off on gypsy jazz guitars...mine is definitely a little tougher to play than my other guitars, but the trade off in tone is worth it.

(plus, my ego loves how after I play my Selmer style for an hour I can pick up one of my other guitars and really burn!)

User Info Menu

I don't know if this is still on but, if I'm not mistaken, the original thread was about looking for a Selmer style guitar to play chord-melody and fingerpicking. Which is not a good match and might lead to rather disappointing results.

User Info Menu

Not necessarily Uli-- check out some videos of boulou ferre playing classical pieces on his eimers, or fapy lafertin playing solo pieces on anything.

I think the selmer style is far from a one trick pony.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whippersnapper
    Has anyone had experience with electro acoustic gypsy guitars and can recommend one?

I tried a gitane signature JJ model today (also known as the DG 300) and I was blown away with it compared to the cheap model gitanes. Problem is it would never leave the house cas it is only acoustic and im a gigging musician so was wondering if anyone knew a good electro-acoustic alternative? (ideally under £800/$1,300)
    well alot of gypsy jazz guitars come with a bigtone pickup installed which is probably the best for straight foward gigs,just plug and play.some people put in a stimer,krivo,or some other humbuckers on them as well.but anyways heres a ton of luthiers that make gypsy jazz guitars.

selmer,busato,favino,jp favino,j.b castellucia,dupont,eimers,dunn,park,ajl,mjs,ald,jw c,freschi,holo,marin,hahl,barault,zwinakis,la fee,boonstra,dell arte,collins,shopis,di mauro,and theyre are alot more as well but those are some good ones.if you want a cheaper one i recommend the manouche latcho drom,altimera,dell arte pigalle,personally not a big fan of gitanes but alot of people do like them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bmw2002
    Continuing on the topic of purchasing a GJ guitar, has anyone purchased one from a site called www.djangobooks.com? They seem to have very good prices on the Gitanes, as well as a number of vintage instruments. Just curious. thanks.
    Just bought an Armstrong pickup from them ($180). No issues. Pickup arrived about when expected.