The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 108

User Info Menu

To be honest, I really can't tell a lot of difference. I've used HBers which I think are, mostly, muddy; custom wound Charlie Christian from Pete Biltoft which I thought was OK; regular Tele which probably does it best. Presently, I have two Teles that I built - both are chambered mahogany with 1/4" maple caps - my regular 'go-to' gigging guitar has a SD Pro Alnico in the neck and a Fender '52 in the bridge and it covers just about everything well through my Evans RE200. The other guitar is a single pickup (neck) with DiMarzio 36th Anniversary HB as recommended by our own Jim Soloway. Just recently installed it so the jury is still out but it seems to be OK with a lot of clarity. Been thinking of getting one of the Fender 50's models with the nitro finish, leaving it bone stock and getting rid of the others because, based on many years' experience, I really think a stock Tele will do anything I need to do. YMMV.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A tele neck pickup is great.
    A tele with a neck humbucker is great.
    A p90 in the neck position is great.
    A CC pickup in the neck is great.
    A tele with Dynasonics ... great.
    Bigsby Pickup? Great too.

User Info Menu

P90.

User Info Menu

I'm a single coil guy for teles, but there are times I wish they'd truly make a single coil that sounds like a single coil that kills the hum.

I've been playing my tele a lot the last few days, since Ed Bickert passed away. It was getting neglected a bit, because I haven't been plugging in much. Big mistake...a good tele is really all you need.

I kinda feel with a tele-- the neck pickup is up to you. Experiment, find something you love, roll with it. I ended up loving a stock 1996 American Standard tele pickup...go figure.

The thing I don't budge on is the bridge pickup...it's gotta be a tele single coil. Gotta.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    A tele neck pickup is great.
    A tele with a neck humbucker is great.
    A p90 in the neck position is great.
    A CC pickup in the neck is great.
    A tele with Dynasonics ... great.
    Bigsby Pickup? Great too.
    You forgot with a strat pickup. Also great IMHO.

Haven't tried with lipstick pickups.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blille
    You forgot with a strat pickup. Also great IMHO.

Haven't tried with lipstick pickups.
    Also great with a mini humbucker

User Info Menu

Single coil or P-90

User Info Menu

they do. Mojotone makes the quietcoil and I doubt many folks could tell the difference between it and a true single coil.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I'm a single coil guy for teles, but there are times I wish they'd truly make a single coil that sounds like a single coil that kills the hum.

I've been playing my tele a lot the last few days, since Ed Bickert passed away. It was getting neglected a bit, because I haven't been plugging in much. Big mistake...a good tele is really all you need.

I kinda feel with a tele-- the neck pickup is up to you. Experiment, find something you love, roll with it. I ended up loving a stock 1996 American Standard tele pickup...go figure.

The thing I don't budge on is the bridge pickup...it's gotta be a tele single coil. Gotta.

User Info Menu

Recently got a G&L ASAT classic Bluesboy Tribute BingBang doodle woodle Thingumy.

It's got the AlNiCo 5 humbucker in the neck and a MFD in the bridge.

Great combo but the bridge gets microphonic through a 50 watt amp.

But I really like that humbucker.

Me other Tele (bitsa) has a CC Rider humbucker sized which is the one I go back to.

Surprisingly, apart from the s/coil hum, both guitars have the same tone with these sausage like stumblin' fingers.

By the way, Stumblin' Fingers is my Blues name.

All good stuff.

Um.......

User Info Menu

I thought I'd miss the humbucker in the neck of a tele but I don't. You have to play with a different mind-set I think. You will not be effective attempting to play pat martino licks on a tele, single coil neck pickup with .010 strings.

User Info Menu

Dimarzio Area t is noiseless and sounds like a true single coil, no problem.

After much experimentation I figured I like single coil tone in the neck the best. Gotta be noiseless though, can't gig with it otherwise.

But in the bridge, my 2nd tele has TV Jones Supertron, and it's amazing tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Dimarzio Area t is noiseless and sounds like a true single coil, no problem.
    I love dimarzio and the area pickups but they really do not sound like the single coils they replace. They have a single coil vibe to them but the mojotone pickup is much closer. Also, the area T neck pickup is bigger than the standard tele pickup and requires the pickguard to be routed and possibly the body too depending on how tight the fit is...

After much experimentation I figured I like single coil tone in the neck the best. Gotta be noiseless though, can't gig with it otherwise.

But in the bridge, my 2nd tele has TV Jones Supertron, and it's amazing tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    News to me. Looks like I got some checkin' out to do. Cool.
    one thing to keep in mind is that the quiet coils require 500k pots so you should probably replace both pickups if you do a change. I have been debating it in my tele but the guitar sounds so great as is, i'm hesitant...

User Info Menu

My Hahn Model C (Jim Campilongo sig) got dropped off with a tech today to have a TV Jones Classic installed at the neck. Let's just say I'm in a Bill Frisell and Jakob Bro phase these last couple of weeks!

Neck Pickup for Fender Telecaster-2018-02-28-jakob-bro-michelle-ettlin-jpeg

Neck Pickup for Fender Telecaster-depositphotos_201888042-stock-photo-cracow-poland-june-2018-charles-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    one thing to keep in mind is that the quiet coils require 500k pots so you should probably replace both pickups if you do a change. I have been debating it in my tele but the guitar sounds so great as is, i'm hesitant...
    Ah...that's fine. I don't need to start chasing any tone dragons, that never goes well for me. This guitar has served me well for 22 years...may as well keep going with it.

Fat enough for me

User Info Menu

I used to like the humbucker in the neck position of the Telecaster, but now I am back to the single-coil goodness of the original style neck Telecaster pickup. It does the jazz thing to a tee.

The critical ingredient, for me, is strings. Lighter than .11-.50 gauge and you are back in Twangsville on the 'caster. .11 and .12 sets are great "tone beds."

User Info Menu

I love dimarzio and the area pickups but they really do not sound like the single coils they replace. They have a single coil vibe to them but the mojotone pickup is much closer. Also, the area T neck pickup is bigger than the standard tele pickup and requires the pickguard to be routed and possibly the body too depending on how tight the fit is...
    My Area T fitted exactly in existing pickguard, no routing was needed at all.

Not arguing about how true to noisy single coils it gets, it's all subjective, but I get everything I expect from it, good enough for me.

But I'm planning to get the Mojotone P90 for another tele...

so they make a trad tele pickups noisless too? That's cool, do they require 500k or 250k pots?

User Info Menu

I am in the minority, but I like Fender’s Noiseless N3 pups: stacked hunbucker that almost sounds like a single coil without the noise.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    My Area T fitted exactly in existing pickguard, no routing was needed at all.

Not arguing about how true to noisy single coils it gets, it's all subjective, but I get everything I expect from it, good enough for me.

But I'm planning to get the Mojotone P90 for another tele...

so they make a trad tele pickups noisless too? That's cool, do they require 500k or 250k pots?
    500k. I think you're right though. They are taller, not wider so depending on your tele, you might have to route out the body a bit more. They are stacked...The mojotones are side by side coils.

User Info Menu

Fender Custom Shop Nocaster pickups are what I like in a Tele.

User Info Menu

Stock OEM. Don't mess with perfection. In my case, it's a Fender Tele equipped with a factory AlNico V neck pickup.

User Info Menu

I adore the stock tele neck pup tone, it is perfect for everything. I must admit that some gig locations cause some loud buzz that's hard to tame. I have a friend that had a deluxe copper foil shielding job done on his tele, and it is as quiet as a humbucker. I'd almost opt for that, than swap out that gorgeous sounding neck pup.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    I adore the stock tele neck pup tone, it is perfect for everything. I must admit that some gig locations cause some loud buzz that's hard to tame. I have a friend that had a deluxe copper foil shielding job done on his tele, and it is as quiet as a humbucker. I'd almost opt for that, than swap out that gorgeous sounding neck pup.
    to do it right, you have to ground the shield of the pickup . That makes it as quiet as a humbucker. Unfortunately, it also cuts high end. I live with the noise.

User Info Menu

to do it right, you have to ground the shield of the pickup . That makes it as quiet as a humbucker. Unfortunately, it also cuts high end. I live with the noise.

Well, unquestionably, grounding the neck PU shield will add capacitance to the passive high-impedance RLC circuit - which can attenuate highs at least in principle.

But for fun, could all you tele guys with a multimeter, check the resistance between the neck PU shield and the output jack cup?

You may find that “grounded” is the normal condition for this shield, and that an un-grounded shield can be a remarkably effective source of noise.

I love the SD quarter-pounder singe coil neck PU for the tele. But definitely need to do a complete shielding job on mine.