The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 59 of 59

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    I wonder if playing squeaky strings hasn't force a change in technique? . . . I've been moving from flats to rounds on most of my electrics too.
    One of Segovia's remarkable achievements in technique was his ability to do away with the squeaks. They are a major PITA with nylon strings...especially when you use the high tension ones which are my faves.

Keeping your finger just a shade further off the string when you're doing a shift during a run or chord shift or variation. Another thing to focus on. The squeaks bother some people more than others. I'm, personally, half and half about them.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I just put a set of Thomastik Infeld Plectrums on my Martin 00-21GE. For fingerstyle, they are the best I have ever tried! Better than silk-and-steel or silk-and-bronze, imho. (This little 00 seems to like softer strings. PBs throw out too many overtones for it.)

The Plectrums are quite different: the 6th string is roundwound for a powerful, crisp bass. Strings 5, 4 and 3 are flat wound. Low tension. Great feel. Very articulate. Read more about them at Derek's link upthread.

I do like Elixir Nanos too--for longevity and the string-squeak issue.

User Info Menu

So here's what I just ordered from JustStrings.com

D'Addario Acoustic Guitar DAD_EFT16
    Flattop Environmental
    Lite, .012 - .053, EFT16

Link: D'Addario Acoustic Guitar Flattop Environmental Lite, .012 - .053, EFT16

No squeak but plenty of good acoustic tone... so I've heard/read... we'll see.

User Info Menu

On my acoustic archtops I've settled on 80/20. The phosphor can get sloppy if you play too hard, though maybe it's less of an issue on a flattop.

For archtops I like:
    • Ernie Ball Everlast - coated 80/20. the windings are coated in enamel and then wrapped so it feels slightly slick but not like they are covered
    • Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze - new product. uncoated. high end zing and tight low end. loud. good definition.

I'm not a massive EB fan or anything, I just ended up with these after trying lots of different brands, mostly coated. D'Addario Chromes sound good on bright guitars too.

User Info Menu

A little update on my acoustic string testing. The J-45 Custom definitely favors 80/20 bronze (in my hands anyway).

My favorites so far are the D'addario EXP & the Gibson Masterbuilts. Last set of Masterbuilts went dull pretty quick, so I tried Elixir Nanoweb 80/20s for the last week or so. Not bad, but not great either. On the plus side, plenty loud, clean clear bass & I'm sure there would be long string life. On the down side, a little too bright & zingy for my taste, but the big downside is the sustain/decay. Not very long -- not quite organic sounding. I blame the coating.

So I'm back to the D'addario's & Masterbuilts. I think the D'addario EXP may win out in the end. Pretty good string life, clear bass, sweet treble, louder than the Masterbuilt strings. I'm planning to go back n forth between these two brands for a while to see what washes out in the longer term . . .

I gotta say: this acoustic is way more finicky about strings than any of my electrics!

User Info Menu

On acoustics I use any brand 80/20s without real preference for one brand or another, whatever is on sale, but indeed never phosphor bronze

User Info Menu

Different strings seem to sound best on different guitars. Some guitars sound better with PB and others with 80/20s. Some sets sound great from the get go but quickly settle into something less desirable and others just the opposite. You just need to experiment and see the full life cycle of each before making you decision.

I personally don't use the strings that I think sound the absolute best, but have decided upon using Elixir Phosphor Bronze strings because they sound almost as good as strings that I like better after a few days of use (a bit bright in timbre at first) and stay that way consistently for months and have slightly less left hand string noise. What sounds absolutely best, only lasts a few days that way before changing from that preferred state.

So for me, choosing strings is like deciding do you want to pick a girlfriend for a date or a wife for the long-term...

User Info Menu

I've tried them all in the last 40 years, I like the standard Martin 80/20 as my favorite.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    I gotta say: this acoustic is way more finicky about strings than any of my electrics!
    Yeah...acoustics, in general, are more finicky in just about every area, ime. Nylon strings are even tougher.
    Quote Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7
    Different strings seem to sound best on different guitars. Some guitars sound better with PB and others with 80/20s. Some sets sound great from the get go but quickly settle into something less desirable and others just the opposite. You just need to experiment and see the full life cycle of each before making you decision.

I personally don't use the strings that I think sound the absolute best, but have decided upon using Elixir Phosphor Bronze strings because they sound almost as good as strings that I like better after a few days of use (a bit bright in timbre at first) and stay that way consistently for months and have slightly less left hand string noise. What sounds absolutely best, only lasts a few days that way before changing from that preferred state.

So for me, choosing strings is like deciding do you want to pick a girlfriend for a date or a wife for the long-term...
    Really good points. My personal favorite is the 80/20 Pearse Light Guage and it's very much for the same reasons you gave: they settle in and last a long time with a consistently great tone.