The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 59

User Info Menu

Thanks so much for all the suggestions and advice.

These guys (monster players, of course) sound bright. But, little/no string squeak. I'm assuming it's technique and that they are using standard round wound acoustic strings.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don't think they sound bright actually... they sound very jazzy given the guitars they are playing. And I do hear some squeak, again not more then average. The guy on the right seems to be using the Golden Alloy I mentioned...

Avoiding the squeak is really a matter of technique as Oldane said. Guys that really hate it go to flats or half rounds. I don't care for it really...

User Info Menu

I recently put some Sadowsky Jimmy Bruno strings on my acoustic archtop, and like them. They have reduced string noise, and might be an easier transition from the flats you are used to.

User Info Menu

I've recently been enjoying John Pearse nickel wound acoustic strings on my archtops...

Bronze didn't become the norm on an acoustic until the 60's, right?

User Info Menu

Welcome to the JP club mr b

User Info Menu

I ordered some of the above suggestions: La Belle, JP Nickle Wounds, and a couple others. Thanks so much for all the suggestions.

On a whim, I swung by the local guitar store. They didn't have anything interesting. But, I did pick up a set of D'aadario phosphor/bronze in a much lighter gauge than I first tried. Much less finger squeak. Maybe that's part of my issue?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Bronze didn't become the norm on an acoustic until the 60's, right?
    Phosphor bronze was new in the 60's / 70's but other bronze alloys like 80/20 and 85/15 have been around since the start of the 20th century. I believe that nickel alloy strings only become available when a magnetic material was needed for electric guitars.

User Info Menu

John Pearse nickel acoustic strings here as well. I went thru tons of different string a few years ago. I was playing in a western swing band and looking for that 40/ 50's sound on both a flat top and acoustic archtop. The flats were o.k. but expensive and seemed to break easily with heavy rhythm.

the flattop strings were o.k but didnt last long at all. 2 shows and started to sound lifelless and started to break.

I really loved the tony Rice strings nickel but they are no longer made. the John P are the closest and last forever with out breaking.

User Info Menu

While waiting for my online string order, I picked up a set of Martin silk and steel .011's - folk strings. They sound pretty sweet and mellow to my ears.
    Last edited by Kenneth; 04-18-2012 at 06:51 PM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

I recentlhy installed a set of Martin SP Lifespan lights on an acoustic, and so far I've found them easy to play, not too bright but not dull. They're kind of expensive (with tax, $15 a set), and they're coated, but I'll give them a reasonable trial period. The advertising hype says the coating doesn't reduce the immediacy, and they'll stay new-sounding for longer than most acoustic strings. Time will tell.

Kenneth- i have had a similar experiance recently. i got a epiphone acoustic/electric and have been playing Elixirs since i bought it but have not liked the sound. i tried a set of d.addarios flatwound 12s even though many say it is not good but to my surprise i am really pleased with them. they seem mellow and Jazzy to me. give them a try!!!

User Info Menu

I wanted to thank everyone for all the suggestions. I've settled on the La Bella Golden Alloy strings. The John Pearce nickle rounds are very nice too.

The only drag is that I have to order them online - the local stores have a pretty shoddy collection to choose from.

User Info Menu

I'm sure they'll be an improvement.
    On my acoustic, I've always run Martin Silk & Steel because they were very smooth and mellow. I recently damaged the A string changing out a cracked bridge pin, and replaced that one string with a phosphor bronze A string since I had an unused set lying around. It was an eye-opener! Plucking that string in conjunction with the S&Ss is teeth-jarring. It's like plucking an old bed spring stretched across a copper radiator it's so bright and twangy by comparison. Frankly, I would think anything would be an improvement.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Retroman1969
    .... and replaced that one string with a phosphor bronze A string since I had an unused set lying around. It was an eye-opener! Plucking that string in conjunction with the S&Ss is teeth-jarring. It's like plucking an old bed spring stretched across a copper radiator it's so bright and twangy by comparison. Frankly, I would think anything would be an improvement.
    Two things:

1) The sound of ordinary round wound strings will mellow considerably when they are "played in" during 1-2 weeks of daily use.

2) The sound you hear from the guitar on your lap is not the sound which is heard just a short distance away from the guitar - i.e. by an audience. The distance plays a role, and so does the listening position relative to the guitar - the audience faces the guitar front on while you hears it from above the top rim. If you play mostly for yourself, you should choose what sounds best to your ears. But if you play before an audience, strings that may sound mellow and sweet to you may lack projection and definition when heard from the audience position. If playing acoustic rhythm guitar in the Freddie Green style, a certain amount of metallic sound is actually desirable to project amongst all the horns and many of the older archtops were designed to produce that kind of sound. Listen to Freddie Green when he used his Stromberg (1940 to ca. 1958) - lots of bed springs and barbed wire there.
    Last edited by oldane; 05-26-2012 at 06:06 AM.

User Info Menu

jorgemg1984, the Silk and Steel's sounded nice, but out of intonation up around the 12th fret. I'm assuming I could adjust the truss rod or some such due to the lower tension of the strings, but I have no such problem with the golden alloys.

User Info Menu

Kenneth my bad!

I wanted to quote this

"I wanted to thank everyone for all the suggestions. I've settled on the La Bella Golden Alloy strings. The John Pearce nickle rounds are very nice too.

The only drag is that I have to order them online - the local stores have a pretty shoddy collection to choose from."

I was happy because I was the one who pointed La Bella for you... sorry!

User Info Menu

Those Golden Alloys are quite unique and I really like them too. They have a sweet tone and a bit lower tension. Nobody ever talks about them. The only bad thing is that the high E and B strings, which seem like plain steel (despite being gold hued), are not at all magnetic. They are dead to a pickup. The wound strings are not! Weird.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    Those Golden Alloys are quite unique and I really like them too. They have a sweet tone and a bit lower tension. Nobody ever talks about them. The only bad thing is that the high E and B strings, which seem like plain steel (despite being gold hued), are not at all magnetic. They are dead to a pickup. The wound strings are not! Weird.
    Funny I never noticed that... but my sweat just "eats" plain strings so I am always replacing them and I use DA's as replacements because they are cheap and easily accesible and plain steel like equal to me.

God know how may brands / types of strings I have tried... Golden Alloys finally did it for me, I really like them (as John Pearse for archtops).

User Info Menu

I'm getting lost in a quagmire of string choices for acoustic guitar!
    I'm trying out various strings on a Gibson J45 Custom & would love some input.

I play all fingerstyle -- no nails! -- and am sticking with 12's for now. It may be a flat-top, but I think it makes a fine jazz guitar! I'm trying to sort out the Phosphor bronze vs 80/20 issue. So far, 80/20 is my strong preference, despite many internet opinions favoring Phosphor.

So far I've tried:
    Gibson Masterbuilt 80/20. Original factory strings. My favorite so far.
    D'addario EXP 80/20. Very nice too. Not quite as deep, but louder.
    Elixir Phosphor bronze. I hated these -- changed them out after a day or so.

DR Sunbeam Phosphor bronze. I just put these on-- they get lots of internet love, but I'm not really digging the phosphor bronze thing with these either.

John Pearse 80/20. These are next on deck.

It looks like I favor 80/20 with this guitar. I'm wondering if Elixir 80/20's will be worth messing with or not. I love Elixirs on some of my electrics, but I fear coated strings miss some detail on a nice acoustic.

I'd love to hear some opinions. Also wondering if there are other good choices I should try out?

User Info Menu

I am dealing with the same trial and error approach for my Gibson J-35. I have really just fallen in love with the feel of flat wounds, and trying to find the perfect mix between tone and feel for this guitar. I intend on using the J-35 for jazz and just can't stand the feel or squeak of most strings.

So taking what was asked above and then adding the fact that I want to as little squeak as possible... any recommendations would be welcomed.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Along with experimenting with different string brands, you may want to try different gauges. Some guitars like heavier strings than others, and some of that will depend on where the action is set on your instrument.

I found Martin SP Phosphor Bronze 12s to be a good match for my old Epiphone Triumphs. The good thing about trying out strings is that it doesn't have to be an expensive process.

User Info Menu

I would not suggest them for bluegrass but for finger style and jazz my favorites have been the
    Newtone, Heritage Series "Low Tension" strings. Great soft feel and round, warm tone.

User Info Menu

Thomastik Infeld Plectrum would appear to meet your requirements. I use them on my flat-top acoustic and there is hardly any squeaking.

User Info Menu

You'll judge for yourself when you play them, but I ended up sticking with the John Pearse 80-20 Bronze Wound Lights after trying the same brand Phosphor Bronze, all the Martin choices, and a bunch of other brands (DR High Beam 80-20s were pretty cool, as I remember).

To my ear, the 80-20s are a little crisper, yet fuller, and respond really well to changes in picking hand positions. More so than any other strings I tried, at least.

I'm a finger style player, too. I play both with and without fingerpicks. The 80/20s sound great both ways. They're a very nice blend of percussive and sweet.
    Last edited by gitapik; 12-11-2014 at 10:47 PM.

User Info Menu

I just tried out the John Pearse 80/20. The sound was good -- loud & bright for sure! But they felt very stiff & made the guitar harder to play. Fatiguing, in fact. So I'm back to the Gibson Masterbuilts for now. They are not as loud or bright as the John Pearse, but they do bring out a sweet bell-like quality in this particular guitar that I love. It is amazing how different all the various strings sound and feel!

My plan is to alternate between the Masterbuilts and the D'addario EXPs for a few months. I've enjoyed both & will wait to see if a favorite emerges over time.

Regarding the finger squeak issue, Elixirs were always my go-to-string to solve this problem. But a little string squeak doesn't bother me much anymore. I wonder if playing squeaky strings hasn't force a change in technique? . . . I've been moving from flats to rounds on most of my electrics too.