The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 86

User Info Menu

Both pickups on a tele are different than a strat pickup.

I've seen people put strat pickups in a tele. They sound "stratty."

The tele neck pickup is voiced very differently than a strat neck pickup. There's no mystery here.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Both pickups on a tele are different than a strat pickup.

I've seen people put strat pickups in a tele. They sound "stratty."

The tele neck pickup is voiced very differently than a strat neck pickup. There's no mystery here.
    Thanks Mr. B, that was pretty much what I was wondering, "are all these tele lovers using tele pickups in the neck or HB's?". Because afterall if you are using an HB in the neck, you can do that with strat too so what's the difference.

User Info Menu

1. Versatility
    2. Feedback Resistant
    3. Cheap
    4. Cool Looking
    5. Ted Green/ John Abercrombie/ Mike Stern

User Info Menu

Like any guitar...it's just another look, another sound, another feel. I could play everything on one guitar, but I enjoy using lots of different ones. It's like asking a painter, "Why use green? Can't I just paint everything with blue?" Sure you could, and some would...and some of the stuff would be great. Personally...I like variety; it inspires me creatively. Different moods...different guitars...and quite often, different stuff comes out through the amp just because of that.
    Anyway...that's what I like.

User Info Menu

Remember me? I'm the Gibson guy.

Now I find myself anxious to try a Tele. The players I have known have gravitated toward the ice picky sound, which I can't tolerate...BUT when I bought my used DRRI the owner demo'ed it with a '72 Deluxe Tele which sounded very sweet. Unfortunately I don't remember which model it was -- two humbucker or single.

Any recommendations? I feel like it'll come down to the Thinline or one of the '72s.

User Info Menu

Listen to Robben Ford playing a 60's (62?) in Jing Chi or David Gilmour (again...'62 I believe) on Dogs or his first two solo albums. Those tones have no trace of being "ice picky." I have a 62' RI bridge PUP and it does the gamut from thick to twang...I have to control that though. My tone controls and amp settings are what bring most of my guitars to life.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by musicalbodger
    Only just picked up on this thread.

A Tele is intimate. A Strat is too spangly. A LP is too heavy and thick.

I hankered after a tele years ago when I saw some blues guys (can't remember who, I'm ashamed to say) playing them and I just loved the sound. Then I saw Hank Marvin (Cliff Richard & the Shadows for you guys over there) playing a strat and he copped the idea off Buddy Holly and it was all too preppy and uncool. Man, I must have been 9 at the time. My first real; guitar was a semi-acoustic 335 copy which I still play and love but 4 years ago I bought a hand made tele and — it talks. As others have said they are so versatile and so simple. The semi-acoustic expects to be played properly, the tele wants you to play it how you feel. Not that it's always right for every occassion, I still love playing my semi but it's the difference between going for a drive in a Bentley and going for a ride on a bike. A bike will take you places a Bentley won't and it's a lot more exciting.
    This is an interesting discussion. I have my eye on a Squire Classic Vibe Telecaster for around $400. (Fits my budget). Sure looks good! I am playing a Squire (China) 50th Anniversary model Strat. I go for the Wes sound and would like a lighter weight axe. How would this cheap Tele sound for jazz? I sure like the looks. Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster Thinline | Sweetwater.com
    Any comments? I appreciate the advice from you pro's. I am an old guy on a limited budget. Incidentally, I like the Wes/benson sound, but can not handle one of the big axes! All comments are very welcome. (Thanks for running this Forum, Dirk. It is great!)).

User Info Menu

Here's my advice...
    I can play any style on any guitar and make it sound any way that I want it to (that isn't to say that I'm some sort of master or anything...or even especially good for that matter). So...any guitar that you pick up that "speaks to you" is the one you want. It doesn't matter what it looks like, who else plays one, or if anyone else thinks it's cool. Simple, complex, one PUP, ten PUP's...all that matters is whether or not it inspires you to pick it up and make music. If you like the feel and sound of a particular guitar...that's the one to get. If you're really into playing and want several different guitars...that's fine too. Start by picking one you like...ignore everyone's commentary...get it, and just play, play, play!

User Info Menu

JC.. if you can, try as MANY of the CV teles as you can.
    They are surprisingly good guitars for the money but if you can go to a couple of stores and try a few out that will make or break it for you. If I HAD to have a tele on your budget it would certainly be in the running (although try to avoid buying new guitars).

Archie Guest
    Roy Buchanan got one of my all-time favorite sounds out of his Tele on his first couple of albums. Ice-picky, but in a good way. I've seen some videos of him playing in clubs where the sound is ice-picky in a not-so-good way, though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Archie
    Roy Buchanan got one of my all-time favorite sounds out of his Tele on his first couple of albums. Ice-picky, but in a good way. I've seen some videos of him playing in clubs where the sound is ice-picky in a not-so-good way, though.
    When he died, I bought a couple of his CDs and I couldn't listen to them. That's the basis for my failure to go after a Tele. I had a friend who played one, and there was no subtlety to his tone. It was all treble, to the extent that I've always suspected he had hearing damage in the upper register.

But now I'm willing to give one a try. I'm in no hurry (I've got an SG, a 335, a couple of Dobros and several basses to keep me busy), and I'd like to explore the sound I heard from the seller of my Deluxe. Lots of character and roundness.

I'm not sure I can adapt to the longer scale -- I had a Strat that I just could not love because of its feel -- but the Tele may be easier to make friends with. The Strat always seemed like it was trying to be TOO versatile. I prefer guitars (and amps) with signature sounds that don't require constant fiddling.

User Info Menu

Money is really tight for me, now, but I still have my dream of a custom jazz Partscaster. It's the bridge pickup that makes the Tele so trebly (and the fact that some people want that cutting sound, so they dial it up!). Loose or ignore the bridge pickup. Some of the twang comes from the bridge itself. There's lots of examples of jazzier sounds coming from a Tele. I'd make that my signature!

User Info Menu

I have a '78 Tele in the closet, hasn't been out of the case more than 3 times since brand new. I know the seventies wer'nt the best time for fender, but this one seems to be either unusual or a custom order. It appears to be one piece ash with rosewood finger board, done in transluscent emerald green.

Is this Tele sufficient to do jazz with (single coild and all) or is there a better "off the rack" Tele that would do better, or perhaps a p/u change?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fritzjazz
    I have a '78 Tele in the closet, hasn't been out of the case more than 3 times since brand new. I know the seventies wer'nt the best time for fender, but this one seems to be either unusual or a custom order. It appears to be one piece ash with rosewood finger board, done in transluscent emerald green.

Is this Tele sufficient to do jazz with (single coild and all) or is there a better "off the rack" Tele that would do better, or perhaps a p/u change?
    You can't play jazz on a green guitar

What happens when you try to play jazz on it?

User Info Menu

At the time I bought the tele I had an L-5CES, Johnny Smith and ES-330T and I thought they were better suited for jazz. So I just put the tele away.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fritzjazz

I'd love to see a pic of this tele!

I would say give it a try as is. Play it on the neck or middle position and remember the tone knob is your friend.

User Info Menu

ive got a Nash T-52 on the way. should be here in a few weeks. Lollar Charlie Christian in the neck and '52 in the bridge, v-shaped "boat" neck. been a long time coming. i used to only play strats and teles. then i sold them and bought a 54 Reissue les paul with the p90s and wraparound tailpiece. that guitar rocks. but there was still a void that only a tele can fill when im playing along to the first two Band records. ill post pics on that happy day for sure...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lpdeluxe
    When he died, I bought a couple of his CDs and I couldn't listen to them. That's the basis for my failure to go after a Tele.

Roy switched to LP's for his Alligator Label records. Still sounded trebley. Theres a you tube of Roy playing misty that's pretty good.

He gets a decent , albeit trebly, tone on his first two albums. I think some of his technique depends on a higher treble setting (pinch harmonics , playing above the pup's. His live album is super trebley too.

Danny Gatton got a similar sound out of his but it's not quite as 'icepick-thru-the-ear-drum' trebley. His verison of Harlem Nocturn is a good example

User Info Menu

Having played LPs, Gretsches, 335s earlier in my life, I came to view the Tele as the perfect workhorse guitar. I've owned 3 in the last 27 years. They have served me well in a variety of settings.

Jimmy Bryant, Roy Nichols, Muddy Waters, Keith Richards, James Burton, Bruce Springsteen, Jerry Reed, Ted Greene, Albert Collins, Ed Bickert, the list goes on but what remains is that a large variety of players in different styles have coaxed an amazing array of tones out of this simple guitar.

Regards,
    monk

User Info Menu

The tele is a perfect guitar to have if you can only have one guitar. For myself, I play jazz, but a fair percentage of my gigs are playing country. I use the Thomastik flats and can play jazz all day long on a tele, then when I get ready for a country gig I use a brighter set like Daddario's.

User Info Menu

wow what a beauty, love spalted wood, should be enormous with a humbucker. hope you post some sounds soon.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by heavyblues
    Ok ok...so what seems to bother/intrigue me is how a tele and a strat with the same pickup would sound different. What are the key differences here? The bridge comes to mind. Looks like the tele bridge has more contact with the body. Is this the main reason? Sooo many people here love their tele and I understand that, I just don't get why for every nine times a tele is mentioned a strat is mentioned once. Can somebody offer a reasonable explanation for what makes the tone or feel or whatever it is that gives the tele its mojo different from a strat.

Maybe most people are using the tele pickup in the neck which I know strats don't have, that would be a big difference I could see. But the question is, is it the tele pickup thats making the difference or the bridge or what. Long story short, you get my question I hope.

P.S. I tried some teles and the one with texmex pickups sounds great! Anybody own one of these? They don't seem to sell tex mex pickups on their own except perhaps eBay.
    I just bought a Tele with Tex Mex pickups not to long ago and they do sound fantastic Alinco 5 mags hotter out put yet retain the tele voice warm yet clear neck, powerful bridge pickup...At first I thought they were stock standard ceramic pickups,but my ear was saying these sound great...I was going to change then but now I have no need to...I mainly use my neck pickup with drive it's just fat and throaty, cleans are just beautfiul ...I have a USA Fender Jimi Hendrix Voodoo strat that I put in kinnan woodstock plus pickup and never been able to find the tone for me yet with a telecaster my tone is right there with no fuss...I did see tele Tex Mex pickup for sale on Fender web site.
    Last edited by bluemood; 07-20-2010 at 12:49 AM.

User Info Menu

they have everything you need , nothing you don't..........

User Info Menu

I've had jazz boxes, acoustics, and 335-style guitars, but they wore out my arm too fast when playing. I liked the comfortable feel of my Strat, but it's sound just couldn't get there for me.
    Then I heard Ed Bickert & Ted Greene, and decided to go to the local music store and try a Tele.
    I melted at the warm clean sounds I got out of the sunburst Tele I pulled off the wall. Actually much warmer than the sounds from the big jazz box. And it's about as comfortable to play as the Strat.
    There are good reasons so many jazz players choose a Telecaster!
    The tele is my one and only. I now have 3 of them.
    Last edited by Retroman1969; 08-06-2010 at 09:58 AM.

User Info Menu

Boy, this is a week of revelations for me...I finally understood how great Joe Pass is, and now ya got me back jonesing for a Tele.

Had one when I was a kid, sold it (dang). Now it's inexpensive guitars - a Squier '51 with a Seymour Duncan Cool Rails neck position, and a Peavey Generation EXP Tele lookalike. Done a lot of listening to Ted Greene, Ed Bickert, and others.

Next stop - Frankentele Partscaster!

Good excuse to buy a digital camera...
    Last edited by robertm2000; 08-06-2010 at 12:14 PM. Reason: misspelled word