The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 43

User Info Menu

Anyone tried one of these for jazz guitar?

They weigh about 1 kg/2 pounds and are about $275.00 here in Canada.

Cheers

Dave
    Last edited by Greco; 04-06-2011 at 06:34 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Isn't Jack Zucker (sheetsofsound) around here, I believe he has one for his backup amp. As Jack will probably tell you is the tone controls are designed for bass so you'll need to play around a bit to dial it in for guitar.

User Info Menu

I see they do a MB112 combo version too 200 watts 28lbs
    nishe .............

They don't do a 1 x 10 combo tho , shame

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    nishe .............
    I'm not sure what you mean by this...possibly "nice" ?

No offence intended BTW

Cheers

Dave
    Last edited by Greco; 04-05-2011 at 05:52 PM.

User Info Menu

indeed Dave

User Info Menu

its got way too much bass. Even with the bass low mid and high mid set all the way counter-clockwise, it's ridiculously bass heavy.

User Info Menu

Many thanks for all the responses.

Cheers

Dave

User Info Menu

a better choice though not quite as small would be the Markbass F100.

I'm getting an Evans AH200 head soon. I'll do a demo when I get it. The henriksen is good too but most of the jazz amps are a bit on the dark side though not as boomy/muddy as the GK.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    a better choice though not quite as small would be the Markbass F100.

I'm getting an Evans AH200 head soon. I'll do a demo when I get it. The henriksen is good too but most of the jazz amps are a bit on the dark side though not as boomy/muddy as the GK.
    Do you mean the Markbass F1...I couldn't find the F100 model.

The Markbass, Henrikson and Evans are all a bit too expensive for my budget

Any other solid state heads (again, similar to the GK) that you would suggest?

Thanks

Dave

User Info Menu

oops, yes I mean the F1. Sorry. Used Markbass LMII can be had for under $425.

The Roland Cube80 is supposed to be good. I haven't tried one of the newer ones but I had a cube years ago and it was really great.

Check the forums at talkbass.com for a used Markbass LMII .

User Info Menu

oops, yes I mean the F1. Sorry. Used Markbass LMII can be had for under $425.
    I've been wanting a small SS amp setup for practice and portability. I used to play bass and have a Markbass LMII, it works well for guitar? What small speaker would you recommend for it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    I see they do a MB112 combo version too 200 watts 28lbs
    I use a GK MB112 for guitar and it's great. I use a Tech 21 Blonde & Reverb into the effects return and get a very nice jazz guitar sound. Very versatile amp - great for Double Bass, Electric Bass and Guitar. I've had mine 20 years and gigged with all 3 instruments (not all at once)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Subfeeder
    I use a GK MB112 for guitar and it's great. I use a Tech 21 Blonde & Reverb into the effects return and get a very nice jazz guitar sound. Very versatile amp - great for Double Bass, Electric Bass and Guitar. I've had mine 20 years and gigged with all 3 instruments (not all at once)
    re-read the first post. The amp you're talking about is a completely different amp than the MB200 the original poster was inquiring about.

User Info Menu

re-read the first post. The amp you're talking about is a completely different amp than the MB200 the original poster was inquiring about.
    I'm aware of that. I was commenting on a later post about the MB112.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    I've been wanting a small SS amp setup for practice and portability. I used to play bass and have a Markbass LMII, it works well for guitar? What small speaker would you recommend for it?
    yes but it's dark. I user a barber barb eq or a tube preamp to give me more of a guitaristic tone. i use a raezer's edge cab or an open back 112 cab with delta 12 a pro.

Note, when I say dark, I mean dark not boomy like the mb200.

Incidentally, you want the vbf and vpe off.
    Last edited by jzucker; 04-06-2011 at 07:10 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Subfeeder
    I'm aware of that. I was commenting on a later post about the MB112.
    again, the amp you're talking about is different. The one he's talking about is a 112 combo version of the mb200.

User Info Menu

again, the amp you're talking about is different. The one he's talking about is a 112 combo version of the mb200.
    OK already.

User Info Menu

yes but it's dark. I user a barber barb eq or a tube preamp to give me more of a guitaristic tone. i use a raezer's edge cab or an open back 112 cab with delta 12 a pro.

Incidentally, you want the vbf and vpe off.
    Cool, thanks, just need to get a speaker cab now.
    Last edited by docbop; 04-06-2011 at 10:44 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    Cool, thanks, just need to get a speaker cab now.
    my favorite for jazz is an open back with an emi delta pro 12a in it. The raezer's edge NY8 and T8T are great too but much darker and not as versatile

User Info Menu

Amy chance that the "boominess" (? boomyness) could be reduced by a specific choice of speaker(s) or some type of pedal in front?...Just hoping for a long shot solution, but I'm not confident that there is one.

Maybe best to forget it all together.

The price and weight are just so tempting.

Along the same theme:

CarvinWorld.com - Guitars, Amplifiers & Pro Audio

Again, many thanks.

Cheers

Dave
    Last edited by Greco; 04-06-2011 at 01:06 PM.

User Info Menu

my favorite for jazz is an open back with an emi delta pro 12a in it. The raezer's edge NY8 and T8T are great too but much darker and not as versatile
    I have a Fender Deluxe Reverb so that is my large 12" amp so hoping to put together a small portable rig.

User Info Menu

Nope. I ran it through an open back cab that generates almost no bottom end. The GK amps are designed for hardcore metal players and are just ridiculously bottom-heavy.

I bought a Carvin BX500 6 months ago. It's also very bottom heavy but unlike the 250 it has a 10 band eq that you can use to dial out the boomyness. Unfortunately, it was DOA right out of the box. I had it repaired 3x in a 6 week period of basement use. After the 3rd repair I sold it.

It did have a good sound but the reliability is not there with their products.

Quote Originally Posted by Greco
    Amy chance that the "boominess" (? boomyness) could be reduced by a specific choice of speaker(s) or some type of pedal in front?...Just hoping for a long shot solution, but I'm not confident that there is one.

Maybe best to forget it all together.

The price and weight are just so tempting.

Along the same theme:

CarvinWorld.com - Guitars, Amplifiers & Pro Audio

Again, many thanks.

Cheers

Dave

User Info Menu

jzucker...many thanks for your continued interest and responses in this thread.

Cheers

Dave

User Info Menu

Anyone else try a MB200 since this thread started?

User Info Menu

tried another one. Same deal, way too much bass. They're designed for nu-metal players. 'nuff said.