The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 27 of 27

User Info Menu

Hi, (apologies for my appalling typing BTW - my keyboard is dying no me !)
    The L-4 I have is an F-hole, and has the "nick Lucas" inlays - starting on third.

I also have an Eastman (2007) with the "cello" style case - is that the one you mean ? It is solid, but unbalanced and all the strange little feet bruise your legs when you walk. However, if I can't sell my Eastman, I might utilise that case.

I had a jazz playing friend around this afternoon and so had a good opportunity to hear the guitar played well and from a short distance. I'm convinced that it has opened up in a week and hope that it will continue to do so.

Archtop.com say that this is the earliest L-4 F style they've seen but their archives show that they've had identical looking '35 and'36 models.

Regards,

Andy

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Folks,

I haven't been in touch for a long time ! Thanks again for your help back then. This lovely old '34 L-4 (looks more like an L-7) has been refretted - but you would simply never know - it was done by Richard Osborne whilst he was still in Lewes. I trust him with anything and he has never let me down. The original bridge (it IS ebony) now sits perfectly, and it is currently wearing my last set of Gibson L-5 nickel 13-56s.

All my whinges and moans about this guitar were unfounded - at least it certainly has a voice now...but (I am thinking that I am not the right guy for the guitar ("it's not you it's me") type thing, so I'm thinking of letting it go on the market.

I've got over sixty videos on You Tube and only one using this guitar - sadly I don't think I'm an archtop kinda guy, and I have "GAS" for something else that I can't quite afford so, if anyone is interested - please let me know - e-mail andrew@andrewperry.plus.com

Here's that video (capo on a n archtop - see what I mean?)

This is the original ad from Archtop.com. https://www.archtop.com/ac_34L4.html

Best, Ol' Andy