The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 39 of 39

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by burchyk
    Check out Ulf Wakenius, he plays some kind of LP knock off.
    If I remember it right Ulf plays an old Aria Pro II Les Paul Model - to me it sounds jazzy! The amp I think is a Lab Series L5?

/R
    Last edited by GuitaRoland; 02-25-2011 at 06:09 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Les Pauls are some pretty versatile guitars if you know how to use them.

I don't mean to flame, but this "sit down friendly" talk makes no sense to me, it depends only on how you handle them.

LPs have glued necks, which is good for a smooth, full-bodied and sustained sound, and that makes them quite jazzy in the right hands...

Listen to Paul Personne's solo in "visions". although it's blues, it might give a good idea of how powerful and yet sophisticated a LP can be.

Teles might be frequently regarded as all-rounders, but that's exactly where they don't particularly match my personal taste: they don't have enough personality to match the needs of punch-based guitarists (of course, i'm talking about clean electric sound, which is the base of everything, of course. Gear is another thing...

Let's not forget that Les Paul himself was a jazz guitarist, folks. If Slash, Peter Frampton and Jimmy Page picked up LPs and distorted them pretty good, it doesn't necessarily mean that those guitars can't sound groovy and jazzy
    Last edited by smdantas; 02-27-2011 at 10:50 PM.

User Info Menu

and then there is this question --

What exactly is the difference in make, sound and construction between the cheapo Gibson LPs (studio, junior) and the expensive LPs (reissues, standard, deluxe)??? (exclude Epis)

I mean really --is a $800 LP studio going to give me the same thing (clean jazz world) that a $5000 57/59 reissue? Just wondering.

User Info Menu

He's using and old MIJ Aria Pro he bought in the 70's. Amp: solid state Lab Series. One of the producers said his tone was the best, while Pat Metheny had a truckload full of gear with him
    Last edited by harrymason; 10-11-2018 at 01:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Les Paul, for whom I have a logical respect as an innovator, is often cited in these "LP for Jazz?" discussions, but I never heard him using what would be widely considered a traditional Jazz guitar tone. Any recordings I may be missing?
    Pretty traditional for the time. The dark jazz guitar sound is a cool jazz/small combo/late 50s and onward kind thing. Listen to Django, Charlie Christian, other early jazz guitarists. Bright trumpety kind of sounds rather than smoky sax-y sounds. Compare Jim Hall's tone on his first album as a leader ("Jazz Guitar") with his later records- he sounds more like Tal Farlow or Jimmy Rainey than what one usually thinks of as Jim Hall.

Oh, yeah, Jim Hall! He played a Les Paul in his early days with Chico Hamilton, later traded it to Howard Roberts for the iconic '54 ES-175. Jim didn't like not being able to feel the guitar vibrate.

The Scandinavian guy, drawing a blank on his name right now even though I can picture him, played an inexpensive Aria Les Paul copy for years and sounded great. I think he plays a Benedetto now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Pretty traditional for the time. The dark jazz guitar sound is a cool jazz/small combo/late 50s and onward kind thing. Listen to Django, Charlie Christian, other early jazz guitarists. Bright trumpety kind of sounds rather than smoky sax-y sounds. Compare Jim Hall's tone on his first album as a leader ("Jazz Guitar") with his later records- he sounds more like Tal Farlow or Jimmy Rainey than what one usually thinks of as Jim Hall.

Oh, yeah, Jim Hall! He played a Les Paul in his early days with Chico Hamilton, later traded it to Howard Roberts for the iconic '54 ES-175. Jim didn't like not being able to feel the guitar vibrate.

The Scandinavian guy, drawing a blank on his name right now even though I can picture him, played an inexpensive Aria Les Paul copy for years and sounded great. I think he plays a Benedetto now.
    Ulf Wakenius

with Pat Metheny:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by customxke
    Mary Ford's husband, I can't remember his name, played some pretty good jazz on a Les Paul.
    ....and for that matter so did Mary Ford !!

User Info Menu

I have played jazz on a Les Paul for many years. Last year I sold my last heavy Les Paul (10 pounds was too much for my 60 year old shoulders) and I bought a 2017 Les Paul Studio (7 pounds 14 ounces). With flatwound strings through my AER Compact 60, I get a great jazz tone, as warm and fat as can be.

User Info Menu

If you get a really good one, you can absolutely feel it vibrate, across your belly, chest, and all along the neck. I can feel my LP just as much as my archtop.

User Info Menu

Benson and Pat Martino both played them early on. Several people I know in real life use them jazz, and they sound great. There's really not a lot of difference in sound between a LP and a semi-hollow.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Benson and Pat Martino both played them early on. Several people I know in real life use them jazz, and they sound great. There's really not a lot of difference in sound between a LP and a semi-hollow.

John
    I think that's right. LP's can get a great jazz tone. There may be some woodiness to the sound of an archtop that the LP can't duplicate, but, by the time your sound, with a little reverb, gets to the audience in a noisy club, it may not be all that dramatic a difference.

User Info Menu

My first "good" guitar was an LP custom but IMO the ebony fingerboard sounded a bit thin or cold for jazz AND that thing just weighed a ton. My left shoulder was always sore at the end of a gig.

After a few years, I traded it for an early 70s LP deluxe that had a rosewood fingerboard and one of the friendliest necks I've ever played. The rosewood fingerboard warmed up the tone quite a bit; IDK whether the body wood contributes to that. It is likely that both of my Pauls had the same mahogany-back-with-maple-top body. All I know is that the Deluxe has a warmer tone than any Custom I've played.

The original PUPs on that deluxe had already been swapped out for full-size humbuckers when I bought it, and later on I replaced the neck pickup with one of the PUPs from my LP custom. The original PUPS on a Deluxe are "mini-humbuckers" which (I believe) are tonally about the same as the stock humbuckers on a LP Standard or Custom, with less output because they are physically smaller with smaller coils and magnets.

I don't find LPs unfriendly to sitting, although I understand that point. When I play the LP sitting down I don't have any problems with the angle of the neck whether or not I use a strap, and I don't feel undue weight on my leg. The deluxe is (subjectively) much lighter than the custom, and I don't find the weight of the deluxe to be uncomfortable. Of course, it feels like a bag of rocks compared to an archtop and it does weigh more than just about any of my other guitars :-) But I still love my LP Deluxe!

An archtop and the LP are quite different animals and I string my Byrdland with 14 - 67 flats. I use the Paul for every kinda music, including that kind that bends strings, so I still use 009s on the LP, which requires being a bit more careful about fretting to preserve good intonation, but it gets a great jazz tone when played with care into the right gear.

SJ
    Last edited by starjasmine; 10-13-2018 at 04:59 PM.

User Info Menu

The man that guitar was named for was a jazz player himself. One of my favorite electric jazz tones I've had was from a Les Paul with a p90 in the neck.

A Les Paul with a benedetto b6 or a6 pickup would fool most people with their eyes closed I bet

User Info Menu

Lotta people don't associate the late Les Paul with jazz, but he used to play with Art Tatum in jam sessions. He was the real deal.